Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 2:33 pm

Do you think that the military receives too much or not enough recognition from civilians? Why?

What kind of unusual things have you heard about, that allegedly happened, when someone was allegedly in the military?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 3:02 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Do you think that the military receives too much or not enough recognition from civilians?

Both.

There's lots of lip service to miltarism, but there's also a tendency to ignore veterans after they've fulfilled their part of the bargain.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 5:26 pm

Too many adverts for Veterans' Day specials that have nothing to do with veterans, military service, or personal sacrifice (i.e., mattress sales, et cetera).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 5:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
Too many adverts for Veterans' Day specials that have nothing to do with veterans, military service, or personal sacrifice (i.e., mattress sales, et cetera).

As a Canadian, those sales seem weird. I can't imagine someone holding a Remembrance Day sale without being called out for making a mockery of the day.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 6:02 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
As a Canadian, those sales seem weird. I can't imagine someone holding a Remembrance Day sale without being called out for making a mockery of the day.
I have called out a few merchants for their "Veterans' Day Sales", only to be met with shrugs, smiles, and trite excuses like, "That's business".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 7:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
I have called out a few merchants for their "Veterans' Day Sales", only to be met with shrugs, smiles, and trite excuses like, "That's business".

It seems to be one of the more significant cultural differences between the US and Canada.

I'm surprised 9/11 sales didn't become a thing. Even the Porsche dealer isn't brave enough to try that.
Save on a 911 on 9/11, only at Midtown Porsche, Audi and Volkswagen, your local Porsche, Audi and Volkswagen dealer.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 7:04 pm

The UK seems to have amnesia when it comes to respecting the dead of world war two, at least where the latest generations of people are concerned.

The armed forces struggle to retain and recruit in the UK.

The US seems OTT in comparison with their war worship. At least, from some parts of the electorate anyway.