Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 1:48 pm

Jimmy m, I have been blind since birth. I have optic nerve hypoplasia. My optic nerve is underdeveloped. I went to a school for the blind for the majority of my childhood. Heck that toxic community.

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2023, 2:32 pm

TikvaBall wrote:
Jimmy m, I have been blind since birth. I have optic nerve hypoplasia. My optic nerve is underdeveloped. I went to a school for the blind for the majority of my childhood. Heck that toxic community.

I can imagine that teddy bears are really pleasant to have around. I feel the same way about the dogs we have. There's something tactilely pleasing about touching something soft as a way to regulate.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 2:38 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

I hope you have found Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ) [https://psychology-tools.com/test/autism-spectrum-quotient]...and I hope whatever you're using to "see" WP will also work with the AQ Test. Results from AQ are not a formal diagnosis but might forewarn you if you are barking up the wrong tree.

I also hope you have found https://www.findapsychologist.org. It might help you find a Psychologist to do an Adult Autism Assessment. However, I have yet to see a Psychologist advertise that they do Adult Autism Assessments...I figure that is such a small market it is not worth wasting space on their web page to mention it. I looked for a conveniently locate psychologist who worked with Autism and with patients my age...then I had to call to see if they would do an assessment. (Oh, maybe check with your health insurance...if the will cover some of the assessment cost then why not.)

But, no matter what: Welcome!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 2:46 pm

Question. How do you see the screen when going online?

I realize there are some marvelous gadgets to help people. Does what I type speak to you somehow? What if I type mistakes or I type something like nmnmnmnmnmnmnmnmnmnmn or other unpronouncable things? (Sorry. Hope you did not mind me typing that).

Are there limits to these programs abilities that you have to use common sense with to overcome?

I did hear (As it is being researched) that up to 80% or more of blind people who were blind since birth are autistic but most are never assessed as the autism traits are assumed to be caused by the persons natural reaction to being blind. Aparently it came as a shock to those in professional positions because no one picked up on this possibility. Yet is almost obvious as autism is caused by brain connections that don't connect in the frontal area of the brain, which is also the area which controls a persons sight? So there can be a whole lot more autistic people due to a lot of blind people added to the figures, than they once thought.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 9:26 pm

Welcome to WP :salut: