Everything is crazy, and I need to keep my sanity.

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 3:00 pm

Is she anorexic? Or just distracted and not prioritizing eating at all? Maybe weed is the way to go.. stimulate an appetite - she'll remember to eat if she's got the munchies.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 12:52 am

Sweet Pea hugs

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 6:54 pm

Update. There is really no way to get through to her that she needs help and she seems a bit delusional like thinking she's friends with people she's never met or talked to, or claiming she had job titles and positions we know she doesn't have. Me and my boyfriend had her up for thanksgiving weekend, to keep her company and were hoping we might be able to talk to her about it. But she seemed kind of like she was too much in her own world, and wasn't receptive if we tried to mention any concern about her.

So yeah I guess this weekend, her mom is going to call for an involuntary assessment, as much as I hate that for her...I also don't see what other choice there is. Her mom doesn't want to do it either, but sees no other option she can't just be left like that or it'll likely get even worse.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 7:36 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Is she anorexic? Or just distracted and not prioritizing eating at all? Maybe weed is the way to go.. stimulate an appetite - she'll remember to eat if she's got the munchies.

She is not anorexic as far as I know, but she is vegan and vegans have to make sure to get enough like protien supplements and such to stay healthy. And with the way she's been acting I doubt she is really paying attention to that, let alone actually eating enough in general.

As for weed, it would seem that seems to make her worse, in the past seems she smoked a bit with no problems. But yeah at the moment seems like she gets worse if she smokes weed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2023, 8:32 pm

Alright, well I guess her mom has to wait back about some letter she sent to potentially get some kind of involuntarily assesment/hospital stay. She called a crisis line to see if anything could be done sooner, but what she described isn't enough for an immediate health check.

I just wish it was easier to get help for someone who is clearly experiencing some kind of psychosis, but insists they are fine and don't need any help. She is very clearly not fine, and with her moms work hours she is home by herself most of the week...and I worry about that.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2023, 9:13 pm

Is difficult, especially when they don't know it is a problem. Hope her mind heals by itself quickly.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 4:18 am

Is she unwilling to visit any kind of professional at all, even as an outpatient? Like a psychiatrist or therapist, or even a nutritionist? Or a hospital ER, where they could evaluate her?

I know this kind of thing is very difficult. Best wishes to you. And make sure you take care of yourself.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 11:27 pm

bee33 wrote:
Is she unwilling to visit any kind of professional at all, even as an outpatient? Like a psychiatrist or therapist, or even a nutritionist? Or a hospital ER, where they could evaluate her?

I know this kind of thing is very difficult. Best wishes to you. And make sure you take care of yourself.

Yes she doesn't seem to even understand a little bit that something is wrong with her and she needs help. If you try to bring up professional help she just changes the subject and won't even engage with that topic. But she is being delusional and not acting like herself so clearly she needs something. Like and Idk I miss her, like how she was...like I finally got to see her again after we didn't really for a while...but all I can think is 'yeah I wanted to see her again, but not like this'. It's just hard to see someone you care about like that when they seemed to be doing good last time you saw them.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 6:52 am

The problem with sectioning people is that is costs money to do so. Like, a lot of money.

So unless a person is proven to be at risk of harming themselves or others, then there really isn't much grounds to involuntarily take some into care as a mental health patient, even if they are acting otherwise crazily.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 4:10 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
The problem with sectioning people is that is costs money to do so. Like, a lot of money.

So unless a person is proven to be at risk of harming themselves or others, then there really isn't much grounds to involuntarily take some into care as a mental health patient, even if they are acting otherwise crazily.

Yeah that kind of seems to be the problem, like my aunt even called a crisis line to ask if there was anything more she could do and yeah that is kinda what they told her. And yeah my cousin is not at risk to others, but also she dosn't seem in danger of intentionally harming herself so as of now not much can be done as far as I know.

But like with how delusional she is, it could be dangerous for her to wander about on her own, like what if she tries to go and meet the celebrities and band musicians she thinks she is friends with even though she's never actually met any of them. but since she is not an immediate danger to herself or others...there is nothing we can really do for her. But feels wrong to wait for it to get to that point before getting her help.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 8:51 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Yeah that kind of seems to be the problem, like my aunt even called a crisis line to ask if there was anything more she could do and yeah that is kinda what they told her. And yeah my cousin is not at risk to others, but also she dosn't seem in danger of intentionally harming herself so as of now not much can be done as far as I know.

But like with how delusional she is, it could be dangerous for her to wander about on her own, like what if she tries to go and meet the celebrities and band musicians she thinks she is friends with even though she's never actually met any of them. but since she is not an immediate danger to herself or others...there is nothing we can really do for her. But feels wrong to wait for it to get to that point before getting her help.

It is wrong to exclude care for some like your cousin when she needs help.

But the system is all about money. It stinks!

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 10:57 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
bee33 wrote:

Yes she doesn't seem to even understand a little bit that something is wrong with her and she needs help. If you try to bring up professional help she just changes the subject and won't even engage with that topic. But she is being delusional and not acting like herself so clearly she needs something. Like and Idk I miss her, like how she was...like I finally got to see her again after we didn't really for a while...but all I can think is 'yeah I wanted to see her again, but not like this'. It's just hard to see someone you care about like that when they seemed to be doing good last time you saw them.

Unfortunately one of the symptoms of many mental disorders is lack of insight-the person cannot clearly see how bad their condition has become.

If she is a vegan she could also be suffering from a Vitamin B deficiency. Those can cause problems with mental functioning like Korskoffs syndrome.

According to my sister, when my Dad was in a nursing home he would go for periods of time without eating and it would make him agitated and partially Psychotic.

I hope her situation, and yours, gets better soon.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 1:28 pm

Well I am very relieved now, my aunt called to tell me they came and took my cousin to the hospital. I guess they send a couple cops and a mental health professional...but sounds like it went pretty smoothly, and she wasn't too panicked or upset.

But yeah I think it's for sure what she needs and she will for sure be safe at the hospital so I don't have to worry about her wandering off and getting lost or worse.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 2:23 pm

What a relief! She will get the help she needs, I'm confident. And be safe.

I hope you're taking care of yourself after all this worry you've been going through.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 2:42 pm

bee33 wrote:
What a relief! She will get the help she needs, I'm confident. And be safe.

I hope you're taking care of yourself after all this worry you've been going through.

Oh for sure, I am keeping that in mind especially since this all came up right after my grandpa dying which though I am not too devestated..since he seemed ready but it's still sad and I do miss him being around. So I need to remember to relax and make time for my own wellbeing, since I do have a tendency to worry too much.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 7:52 pm

Well good news:

My cousin is doing much better now, back to being herself I think she is taking some kind of medication. But yeah my family had a Christmas party at my sister and her husbands house and she was able to attend that and visit with everyone.

I do think it will be important to stay in contact with her and spend time with her, but yeah seems she accepted getting help and plans to keep up on the follow up care and such. I guess I am just glad to have my cousin back.