Fistfight nearly breaks out during Senate hearing

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2023, 5:04 pm

Sen. Markwayne Mullin, a former MMA fighter, had challenged the president of the Teamsters union, Sean O'Brien, but Sanders shut them both down.

Quote:
Tensions erupted on Capitol Hill on Tuesday after a fistfight nearly broke out in a Senate hearing and one Republican congressman accused former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy of assaulting him.

At a Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee hearing, an argument almost turned into a fistfight between GOP Sen. Markwayne Mullin of Oklahoma and the president of the Teamsters union, Sean O'Brien.

The exchange occurred when Mullin, a former MMA fighter, recalled an interaction he had with O'Brien in June on Twitter, now known as X.

At the time, they discussed engaging in an MMA fight for charity after they had gotten into a heated back-and-forth at a previous congressional hearing.

Mullin read aloud O'Brien's original tweet during the hearing Tuesday, which said: "Greedy CEO who pretends like he’s self made. In reality, just a clown & fraud. Always has been, always will be. Quit the tough guy act in these senate hearings. You know where to find me. Anyplace, Anytime cowboy."

The tweet also said "#LittleManSyndrome" and showed a photo of Mullin at a debate where he was standing on a pedestal at a podium.

Mullin then said at the hearing: "Sir, this is a time; this is a place. You want to run your mouth? We can be two consenting adults. We can finish it here."

"OK, that’s fine, perfect," O'Brien said.

"You want to do it now?" Mullin replied.

"I'd love to do it right now," O'Brien said.

"Then stand your butt up then," said Mullin.

"You stand your butt up," said O'Brien.

Mullin then stood up and the committee’s chairman, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., stopped the altercation from happening, yelling at Mullin: “Stop it! No, no, sit down! You know, you’re a United States senator."

The entire episode devolved, with Mullin and O'Brien calling each other names not normally seen in committee hearings, but they did not get physical. The two appeared to conclude their exchange by agreeing to have coffee together.

On the other side of the Capitol, Rep. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn., who voted to oust McCarthy as speaker last month, said that McCarthy had elbowed him in the kidneys while Burchett was speaking to reporters in a hallway.

Burchett said he believes it was intentional, telling reporters: "Oh it was 100% on purpose, ma’am, what are the chances ... 435 members of Congress, eight of us voted against him. I’m the one who did it, one of them who did it. He publicly called me out."

Burchett said that he chased after McCarthy to confront him and that the former speaker didn't know what Burchett was talking about.

McCarthy denied that he attacked Burchett, telling reporters, "If I’d kidney punched him, he’d be on the ground."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2023, 5:15 pm

The GOP are a very serious, professional party who are prepared to lead a nation.
Also the GOP:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2023, 5:49 pm

Theyre only taking violence off of the streets...and placing it in the Capitol, where it belongs! :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2023, 9:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The GOP are a very serious, professional party who are prepared to lead a nation.
Also the GOP:

We need to become a left-wing dictatorship, at least in the interim, so we can become a social democracy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 3:08 am

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 10:36 am

Jer-REE! Jer-REE! Jer-REE! :lol:

Yeah. Thats about the level that discourse as sunk to.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 1:31 pm

:lol: I watched the video on Facebook. It wasn’t really truly that close to a fist fight, just verbal posturing. Still not exactly the behaviour expected in that setting.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 2:08 pm

Gentlemen ...could be violent back in the day. But back in the day they had decorum, and indulged in the strictly rule bound practice of dueling. With swords or pistols.

Was just thinking about that in connection with this story when...I stumbled upon this vid.

I thought that only men engaged in dueling. :)

https://youtu.be/LA_MMCSCc_c

Last edited by naturalplastic on 15 Nov 2023, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 2:36 pm

Of course, there's always the Parliament in Taipei.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 4:41 pm

Yep. We are still tame compared to those Taiwanese.

And tame compared to our own congress in the years just before the Civil War when congressmen would shoot each other with derringers, or beat their colleagues to within an inch of the guys life with canes.