Do you tell white lies about your life?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2024, 11:11 pm

No I never lie about my life. Have the opposite problem. But when people ask how are you? Or how have you been? I always say “fine” even when I’m not. So I guess that’s telling a lie.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 11:48 pm

when people ask me how'm i doin' i usually reply that "i'm surviving." that's an example of telling an incomplete truth that is palatable to most folks. i don't believe many folks at all can handle the truth.

milly
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2024, 3:57 am

I overshare and can't tell a lie I really wish I learned this :(

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 4:15 am

I'm an open book. I only ever lie when people ask me how I'm doing at work and I'm having a sh***y day

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 10:46 pm

auntblabby wrote:
when people ask me how'm i doin' i usually reply that "i'm surviving." that's an example of telling an incomplete truth that is palatable to most folks. i don't believe many folks at all can handle the truth.

I think it's better than saying "I'm fine" if you're not. I usually say "I'm hanging in there" when I am not fine, or "I'm doing okay" if I'm doing okay.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:21 am

bee33 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I think it's better than saying "I'm fine" if you're not. I usually say "I'm hanging in there" when I am not fine, or "I'm doing okay" if I'm doing okay.

that is graceful 8)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 4:43 pm

auntblabby wrote:
bee33 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

that is graceful 8)

I always felt that saying "I'm fine" was very trite and unimaginative as well as being generally untrue, so I took to saying more witty, intelligent or honest things instead. I learned "surviving" from a fellow-scientist at work, who always used it. Other responses I've made are "about 6 out of 10," "better today than yesterday," "awful," "don't ask," "bearing up well under the circumstances," and "it's a long story." But sometimes I just say "fine," because for some reason it's a very safe response.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 10:08 pm

perhaps a "safe" response is all that some folks deserve.