Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2023, 10:20 pm

An Arkansas rapper was arrested by Bentonville police on Thursday after they said his music contained threats to others.
https://katv.com/news/local/arkansas-ra ... th-assualt

https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-culture ... ing-lyrics

Authorities charged Reese Alexander Sullivan, 20, on Nov. 2 with terroristic threatening in the first degree
Sullivan continued to say that the songs were meant to be funny and that he did not believe the statements that he made in his songs. he does not hate the groups mentioned in the songs, has not sexually abused children, or intends to do anything mentioned.

The affidavit stated that Sullivan was given a $50,000 bond and ordered to not use social media to write or upload audio or use the internet. He has a court date scheduled for Dec. 11.

Does this mean every rapper in the USA should also be arrested?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2023, 11:05 pm

Sounds very unconstitutional, I'd expect a lawsuit incoming.

- Rick Sanchez

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 5:42 pm

It seems strange? artistic licence being interpreted as intent.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 6:31 pm

Apparently he threatened the president, other government officials, minority groups, relatives, and schools.

This is no joke.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 7:02 pm

Not all, but MANY underground rappers all over the world have threats against their rivals/enemies/gangsters etc as the main theme of their lyrics. Insults and threats.

There are a bunch of unheard of local underground rappers that release all kinds of music online/YouTube etc that's basically tit for tat local drug gang rivalry stuff and if police had the resources to find and analyze all of it they'd find it tells stories of who's suspected of killing who, who's threatening who, who's vying for territory etc.

It's all stupid immature BS that some people lose their lives over, but pretty common stuff.

Maybe this guy had some super extreme threats in his lyrics that were taken seriously ? Or maybe he figured he'd threaten Big Fish instead of other local kids just for exposure and marketing and it backfired big time and now he's in deep s**t and on his way to jail ? Or, maybe he's some sort of assassin in the making and he was just too stupid not to broadcast his plans.. I guess that's all for the courts to sort out.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 8:43 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:
Apparently he threatened the president, other government officials, minority groups, relatives, and schools.

This is no joke.

Under American law you can do all that and more, some of the most important caselaw actually involved threats to the president.

- Rick Sanchez

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 3:12 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Not all, but MANY underground rappers all over the world have threats against their rivals/enemies/gangsters etc as the main theme of their lyrics. Insults and threats.

That was my impression too. There's one popular rapper called Loverance who made a song called "beat the p**** up". The lyrics talk about physical violence on a women's private parts. As far as I know he's no Marilyn Manson.

Comedy, video games and music is art. It should (in theory) be exempt from such scrutiny. But in this day and age one could also build a case that lyrics, video game violence etc pushes certain people over the edge.