Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Should Autistic people be allowed to drive?
Yes, if they can pass a driver's test they should be allowed to drive 93%  93%  [ 39 ]
Yes, if they pass a special autism functioning test 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
No, you can't trust an autistic driver 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care as I don't drive 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 42

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 5:16 pm

This is a bit scary.
As a Queenslander, I could have my driver's licence revoked and be fined over $9000 if I don't disclose my autism diagnosis.
Never mind I've been driving since I was 17.
Part of their concern is that we may handflap whilst driving. :roll:
This is too laughable, but not really.
I find it quite scary.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-20/ ... /103108100

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 5:24 pm

Shows that your government do not have a clue!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2023, 7:04 pm

I bought my first car in 1976 (drove just a little before that in my parent's cars).

I've been driving since. Tens of thousands of miles per car, and and am now looking for a fifth car.

The only issue I can attribute to my Autism is that I tended to stop at traffic lights when I was supposed to. That caused problems because many Allistics are sloppy about stopping when they are supposed to.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 1:35 am

Thanks for posting, as a fellow Qld'er I was completely oblivious to this. I've been driving well more than half my life now, and if anything I think my autistic traits help me to be hyper focused and spatially aware. I have admittedly acquired a few speeding fines over the years but have avoided anything more than a bingle where the other driver was at fault... I am still waiting on my report so I guess I'll need to get the bloody Dr to sign me off once it comes.

It would crush me to lose my license after all this time, especially as my car is one of my special interests.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 4:42 am

Possibly the main factors that can impact driving ability for autistics with normal intelligence:-

1. Functioning status is not always stable someone can be competent one day and be more impaired the next, this also impacts employment prospects but that's another subject.

2. Epilepsy (approx 30% of us) anyone epileptic is not allowed to drive

3.Schizophenia (3.6 times as common) anyone schizophrenic is not allowed to drive

4. Sensory issues - Being startled under stressful conditions - noisy, busy and complex driving conditions like big cities

5. Spatial awareness - varying seriousness from simple parking between cars to judging speed

So driving competency is difficult to assess someone may pass their test under easy conditions but not be capable under more complex conditions.

Someone living in the country likely to have an easier time of it than a big city.

Of course this could be said of anyone elderly drivers etc.., some even avoid driving in places where there are more complex situations.

- George Bernie Shaw

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 4:46 am

I'm learning to drive and the only things really holding me back are nervousness and possible absence seizures (that I plan to get checked before I take another driving lesson)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2023, 5:50 am

I got my license in 1989 and have been driving since then. Never been involved in any accident. I don't have any comorbidities. As an autistic I follow speed-limits and the rules pretty strict. Better an levelheaded autistic like myself behind the wheeel than some narcissistic hothead or reckless psychopath.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 6:27 am

Well... I work for the Queensland Department of Transport and yet I was completely unaware of this notification requirement until the news story on the weekend.

Because of my work I have to follow the law on this so I'm going to have to do the notification. I've booked a doctor appointment to try and get the medical clearance.

Hoping and praying the doctor gives me the clearance. If they ask me to have an OT driving assessment that will probably cost me $1500 or so. And if I fail that and/or don't get the clearance I'll lose my licence and almost certainly my job along with it.

Writing this as someone with 33 years' driving experience and never had a major accident.

So yeah, just another fun week dealing with the s**t people throw at us just for being autistic.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2023, 6:36 am

On the upside, with the number of unethical quacks out there who are prepared to hand out scripts for opiates, benzos, and all manner of other controlled substances like they're going out of fashion, hopefully it should be easy to find a Dr to sign off on a driving clearance...

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 4:24 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Well... I work for the Queensland Department of Transport and yet I was completely unaware of this notification requirement until the news story on the weekend.

Because of my work I have to follow the law on this so I'm going to have to do the notification. I've booked a doctor appointment to try and get the medical clearance.

Hoping and praying the doctor gives me the clearance. If they ask me to have an OT driving assessment that will probably cost me $1500 or so. And if I fail that and/or don't get the clearance I'll lose my licence and almost certainly my job along with it.

Writing this as someone with 33 years' driving experience and never had a major accident.

So yeah, just another fun week dealing with the s**t people throw at us just for being autistic.

Best of luck, Madame Peel.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 6:22 am

This is disgusting and highly discriminatory towards autistic folk.

If an autistic person passes their driving test, autistic folk should be able to drive legally like anyone else. :x

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 1:56 pm

^exactly.

I've driven many years and never had an accident.
I'm too safety conscious if anthing.

I can park within the lines.
I can change lanes and merge without cutting people off.
I can turn a corner and not fly onto the other side of the road like a mad man.
I don't overtake on blind bends or over the double white lines.
I know how roundabouts and traffic lights work.
I look for traffic before leaving a parallel park or my driveway (almost got cleaned up by someone not doing this recently)
I can even drive a manual car!

^Basically, things that a large percentage of drivers in my town seem unable to do. :roll:

And yet I'm the one who is dangerous?
WTF
It's so unfair.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 4:02 am

Raleigh wrote:
Best of luck, Madame Peel.

Thank you Raleigh, I'll let you know how it goes.

I think I'm a pretty safe driver too, I'm cautious and keep good distance to the car in front to give myself time to react.

I might have a bit of an attention problem though. The work cars have GPS trackers and we get notifications and warnings if we are found speeding. I got a couple of warnings for speeding but it was not intentional - I was driving on unfamiliar roads and I missed the speed limit sign. I think it's an attention deficit thing but not sure.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 6:52 am

horrifying and discriminatory to the max. watching with interest ms. Peel. keep us posted.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 9:35 am

I did pass the test but had to give it up when I realized I was a danger to me and others due to what I know are issues 1,4, and 5.

That said on the assumption that the road tests have improved since 1974 IMHO autistics should be allowed to obtain a license if they pass the test.

With things like Amazon and work from home it is not nearly as bad to not be able to drive as it once was but still there are some opportunities that you have to pass on and most things are just much harder meaning more expensive and many extra steps that drivers would not even think of.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 9:44 am

I think that autistic people should be able to drive without having to disclose their condition. The more things change, the more they stay the same. :evil: