Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Should Autistic people be allowed to drive?
Yes, if they can pass a driver's test they should be allowed to drive 93%  93%  [ 40 ]
Yes, if they pass a special autism functioning test 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
No, you can't trust an autistic driver 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care as I don't drive 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 43

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2023, 10:15 am

I don't know much about laws in Australia but in The United States, I've never heard of any state stating that someone must disclose their Autism diagnosis. In my eyes, it tries to reenforce the stereotype that people on the spectrum are "slow" or can't do for themselves.

I've been driving since 1997, when I got my license at 17. I can drive a hell of a lot better than many people I see out on the road. I always make sure I park between the lines, signal when necessary, and the like.

My only driving sins are: 1 ticket for speeding in 2011 and sliding on a patch of ice causing the car to run into a cul-de-sac(very minor damage).

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 1:09 pm

In my US state, autism isn’t even on the list of conditions that require a dr’s note

#palestinianlivesmatter

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 4:23 pm

In the UK, a person is supposed to inform the DVLA if they have autism, but many do not, fearing their license will be revoked.

I haven't heard of receiving a fine for omitting one's diagnosis over here, however.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 7:10 pm

I have news, fresh from the horse's mouth (Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads, TMR):

What we are now told internally is that the ABC article had some incorrect information on TMR policy, and they are expecting a correction.

The policy is that anyone with any long-term medical condition (which may include autism) that is likely to adversely affect their ability to drive safely has a legal obligation to report their condition to TMR.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 7:18 pm

I think we're all good, I've checked and the above agrees with the wording on the notification form:

Do you have a permanent or long term medical condition
that is likely to adversely affect your ability to drive a motor
vehicle safely?

No

Yes

You are required to give TMR a completed Medical
Certificate for Motor Vehicle Driver (form F3712).

I'm glad the ABC ran the article, even if they got things a bit wrong, because it's drawn attention to the need for clarity on things like this.

Even now, there's a bit of a grey area involved in whether we are fully cognisant of the likelihood of our driving being affected - but that's true of many health conditions. Much less of an issue than just saying everyone with autism must notify.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 5:48 pm

ABC have posted a follow up piece, this is about as close as they're going to a correction I think:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-26/national-fitness-to-drive-standards-humiliating-autistic-drivers/103147928

It looks like no one in charge knows what they're doing here... :roll:

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2023, 4:56 am

Yeah, that is... nowhere near a correction.

I have no idea what to make of it all.

But I did still go to the doctor's appointment and asked her to do the medical certificate.

Her response was basically:
"You're high functioning, though, right? You've got a degree. How long have you been driving? Since you were 18? Yeah no, you DO NOT need to do this. If we notify TMR you'll have to re-certify every time you renew your licence. You don't want to do that. (Please go away and stop bothering me)"

Needless to say, I did not come away with a certificate.

p.s. she still charged me for the appointment

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2023, 5:55 am

Hopefully it was misinformation and Australians will not have to disclose their diagnosis of autism and risk losing their license. That would be terrible and also outrageously discriminatory.

I live in the US and I have a valid driver's license but I am not actually able to drive, except in places with very little traffic. I find it extremely difficult to make left turns, change lanes, or merge. I think it's because it requires paying attention to two or more moving things at once, which I am not able to do. I wouldn't actually be an unsafe driver, it would just be really stressful and difficult for me. (And cars might start to queue up behind me while I'm waiting for a clear enough moment to make a left turn, and probably start honking...)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2023, 9:52 pm

Yes, if they can pass a driver's test they should be allowed to drive. There are NT's who can't pass the driver's test too and no one lets them drive. I had trouble learning how to drive becuase most of my teachers thought screaming at someone with PTSD was a good way to make them learn. I ALMOST got both of us killed because being screamed at makes me go into fight or flight mode.

People were like "What if a siren goes off?" Sirens don't trigger my fight or flight reaction. And anyway, in my country, you're supposed to go to the side of the road to let the first responder have some room. So even if sirens did bother me, I'd have time to calm down.
"What if your passengers are screaming?" So when did I become a Taxi service for screamers? I'd made them get out or refuse to drive until they calmed down...like my mom did if I had a meltdown when she was driving. Pull over to the side of the road and wait for me to calm down.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2023, 10:26 pm

This is silly. It's worse than some of the attitudes in the UK, where I keep hearing AS can get you incarcerated or involuntarily committed to an institution. Of course, those bogans in AU are not far removed from the UK...

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2023, 10:30 pm

I stopped driving in 2019, since I was moving into public housing (big mistake) and public transportation was coming into the complex twice prior, until Covid-19 hit. I found out a few months ago, after having my eyes examined I have cataracts that are beginning to affect my sight. In addition to t2 Diabetes and hypertension, I’ve been diagnosed with stage 3 chronic kidney disease. My nephrologist hasn’t prescribed dialysis, as of yet. But with the frequency I’ve been pissing at night (and pissing myself trying to get across the hall in my apartment to the bathroom, it’s probably not too long before I have to go into assisted living, as I am getting too weak and tired trying to keep this joint clean to HUD standards. How I’m going to afford assisted living is beyond me since monthly rents are around $3k to $5k per month, and that’s for a studio apartment, even for a facility affiliated with the United Methodist Church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Church of the Brethern, the Mennonite Church, and a few private firms (whom I really don’t trust, having gone through that hell with my mother, when my brother put her in one of the worst nursing home in the county, if not the Commonwealth of PA.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 2:25 am

I've been driving for 28 years.

I had to disclose to the Department of Transport that I have ADHD. I can understand this as I was involved in two accidents before I was diagnosed. After I started taking medication for ADHD, I found it much easier to concentrate on driving.

About eight years ago, my psychiatrist told me that I'd have to let the Department of Transport know that I have ADHD and take medication for it. I went there and was given a form to have my GP fill out. He did that, I submitted the form and then my altered licence card was sent to me in the post. It now says on the back, "Take medication treatment as directed by health professional".

If I were to disclose my autism, what would it say on the back of my licence?

Cataclysmic Psychlone
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2023, 5:14 am

There has been some bleating about this in the media recently and I'm not really concerned.

This is from the Vicroads website (Victoriastan, Australia):

You must notify VicRoads if you have or develop, a serious or chronic medical condition, disability, illness, or injury that could affect your ability to drive safely. You also must notify VicRoads if your driving could be affected by medical treatment.

Note the words: 'could affect'.

Does being Autistic affect your ability to drive safely?

If not, you are under no obligation to 'self report'

Does a pregnant woman need to report 'baby brain'?

Does someone who was just fired from their job need to report their anger?

If you are going to meet up with someone on Tinder and you are super horny?

I'd like to see this tested in a court of law.

Anyway, if anyone hassles me, I have already worked out what to say: 1) I was diagnosed with Aspergers which no longer exists in the DSM-V and 2) I sexually identify as a Neurotypical :lol:

I love cars. Especially old school Australian and American rolling iron with big V8s. Having spun a few spanners on them, I have fallen in love with their simplistic but robust design. I also have a truck licence. I also work and pay taxes. So yeah, if I am 'unfit' to get to work, then I am no longer able to pay the wages of public servants, who are by definition, my employees.

Driving is my freedom in this big beautiful country. I'd like to see someone try to stop me.

I'd drive to Perth right now if I had a Kingswood and no reason to be at work on Monday :wink:

I also stop at stop signs. Stop signs are not negotiable, yet many NTs believe it is a 'soft' rule.

If people followed road law 'Autistically', Australia's road toll would be a lot lower

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 7:35 pm

I have co-morbids that world mean having a disqualifying condition and conditions that make driving and learning to drive incredibly difficult. As I do have severe Dyspraxia, co-ordinating the body and mind for driving may mean many years and a expensive endeavour to undertake to not get anywhere. epilepsy is usually a disqualificating condition. Plus im on 3 different medications that directly alter alertness, not being recommended to drive under those prescription medications. Unmedicated ADHD is also a factor id also need to take stock of with attention on the road.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2023, 3:36 am

Wow so much for inclusiveness eh?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2023, 8:56 am

I imagine there are a lot of people with undisclosed medical conditions on the road.

Usually, like someone mentioned in the thread, the obligation to report one's medical condition is based on whether such a medical condition is likely to affect driving, and likely is subjective in this matter, so a lot of people will just dismiss the idea of reporting their medical conditions which could pose a risk to their driving license.