Looking a different colour when outdoors?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 8:16 am

Why do my eyes look a green colour when outside (especially in the sun) yet look dark/brown indoors?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 8:21 am

Oh I don't know. That's interesting though.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 8:23 am

babybird wrote:
Oh I don't know. That's interesting though.

I thought I had brown eyes but I guess they could be hazel if they have a mixture of green that really pops in outdoor lighting.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 3:40 pm

My partner has grey eyes.
Sometimes they look really blue, sometimes they appear brownish.
It does all depend on the lighting which brings out different aspects of the iris.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 12:44 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I thought I had brown eyes but I guess they could be hazel if they have a mixture of green that really pops in outdoor lighting.

Yup. Sounds hazel to me.

My eyes are brown. Look light brown in bright light and a slightly darker brown in darker light.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 7:43 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Yup. Sounds hazel to me.

My eyes are brown. Look light brown in bright light and a slightly darker brown in darker light.

I heard that hazel is a variation of brown and green is a variation of blue.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2023, 3:12 pm

Jamesy wrote:

I heard that hazel is a variation of brown and that green is a variation of blue.

The two main factors in determining eye colour is the amount of melanin and how the light is scattered in the iris.

Blue eyes are caused by a mutation which causes a lower level of melanin. Likewise, green eyes have lower levels of melanin than brown eyes, but have higher levels than blue eyes. The same mutation is responsible for green and blue eyes, so you are correct. It's just a matter of how low the melanin is that determines the distinction / difference in appearance. I've known people with eyes that were ambiguously greenish blue or blueish green. It's a spectrum I suppose you could say.

Grey eyes are considered to be a faded shade of blue. It's not that uncommon for dark blue eyes to fade into a grey.

Hazel eyes and amber eyes have a moderate amount of melanin. More than green, less than brown. Sort of a middle ground if you will.