Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 7:26 am

jamie0.0 wrote:
I think the biggest problem with physical media, is the "physical" part

Disks can get scratched and broken, whereas data on streaming services doesn't isn't a tangible format and the only way they can get ruined is a severe malfunction of hard drives for the host.

I still buy DVDs if it's something I really enjoy, as the quality is noticbly better on bluray,but I rip them and put them on my pc.

To the credit of steaming service, it's good value for the consumer, a 4k bluray costs $40 here. Compared to the $15 monthly subscription to netflix which has a variety of 4k titles to watch.

In short, I don't think streaming has replaced physical media, but it is complementary to a physical DVD library.

Streaming is a pretty bad deal when you realize that you're stuck continuing to pay month after month whether you use it or not, and that it may well not have any of the most of the stuff that you're personally interested in. $180 a year can buy an awful lot of DVDs, even new ones can be had for under $10 and under $5 on sale. I've personally found that I've been able to buy so many DVDs that I'm not even buying more at the present while I work through my backlog. Plus, there's always used discs from places like the local thriftshop or ebay.

I doubt after several years of purchases most people will find themselves needing that level of spending, and you can generally sell the discs to other people if you truly don't want to watch them again, something that you can't do with streaming services.