Do you ever forget what you did right after you did it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Dec 2023, 12:54 am

Why might this happen?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 12:59 am

Today I needed to clean a cat bin.
I got up to do it and went in the room.
Immediately when leaving the room I had no idea if I'd done it.
I refused to go check.
I tried to force myself to remember, thinking it would come to me.
It didn't.

I don't remember squat.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 1:11 am

Yeah right after I have my phone in my hand I lose it, regularly.

But yeah that is apparently ADHD related like losing stuff all the time, so err yeah another reminder is should get eveluated for adhd but I always put off getting that assessment, but yeah from what I have heard forgetfulness like that is a possible symtom.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2023, 6:26 am

Most definitely.
I can't remember what I forgot so I can't provide an example. It probably happens daily for me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 6:32 am

Constantly, and I think it could be my undaignosed ADHD, naturally potentially having Adhd on top of autism I keep procrastinating on getting evaluated for adhd, but my brother got diagnosed and told me he thinks I might have it to cause I loose things all the time and stuff like that. and his psyciatrist said for sure people with autism can also have adhd as well.

Like I guess it is not so normal to constantly loose your keys and wallet and phone ect. all the time. and I have a pink phone case as most my furniture is black(That's how goth I am) to help me see it against all the black surfaces and I still lose it all the time.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 01 Dec 2023, 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 6:33 am

Yes. Because I'm in my own head most of the time, half the stuff I do I'm doing on autopilot and have no recollection of doing it. Part of the reason I like routines so much is that I don't have to think about what I'm doing, I can get what needs to be done, done and be thinking about something more interesting.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 8:59 am

I do that often enough, but I'm not sure why, it's probably a mix of a few things. I might not be paying attention to what I'm doing, could be preoccupied or whatever. I do a lot on automatic to. My memory isn't so great in general, that likely does me no favors. I also get messed up if I'm stressed, tired, or anything even a little off. I will absolutely forget more things under those conditions to.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 12:23 pm

I'm old. I have to take pills daily. I had to work around my memory on that.

I tend to follow a routine in the mornings but by lunchtime I've completed the routine items and my activities cease to be routine. So I've had to insist to my medical providers that I need to take all of my pills at one time in the morning...otherwise I will forget to take them.

I keep the pill bottles at a specific location on my dresser. As I take each pill I move the bottle to a different part of the dresser. Good thing, too! I can take all of my pills, walk across the room, and then not remember whether or not I've taken the pills. I have to see where the bottles are sitting to know whether or not I've taken them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 1:41 pm

I do that all the time. There was one time when I was visiting my parents. I made myself a sandwich and I forgot, so I made another one right after. My dad said, "You never eat two sandwiches." I asked, "Do you want one, Dad?"

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 2:11 pm

Yes, all the time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 5:57 pm

justanotherpersonsomewhere23124 wrote:
Why might this happen?

This is called a 'neuralyzer'. A gift from some friends from out of town. The red eye here isolates and measures the electronic impulses in your brains. More specifically, the ones for memory.

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 6:10 pm

All the time. :oops:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 6:15 pm

It happens a lot.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 8:00 pm

It happens more so to me when I am stressed, but not so much when I don't have a lot going on in life.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 10:12 pm

Yes I get that, and it seems to happen more when I'm stressed or trying to work too quickly (a common effect of being stressed, in my case). But it's not always stress-related. It can be an attention thing - I often shift my attention onto other matters without giving myself time to fully take stock of what I've just done, so I do that well-known trick of walking into another room to get something and having trouble remembering what it was. It's probably just that I often start thinking intensely about something else while I'm changing rooms (my mind is hardly ever inactive when I'm awake). But if I stay calm, the memory often comes back, it usually just takes a bit of time, so the memory can't have vanished, it's just buried a little below the surface.

My brain seems to dump information, often shockingly soon after acquiring it. When I was at secondary school I used to forget the beginning of a sentence before I'd reached the end of it. It can still happen these days, but nothing like as often as it did when I had schoolwork to do.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 3:05 am

Every day.