Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2023, 7:01 am

Been working at home Depot for three years and counting

Sometimes feet or back hurts

Plenty of precious lil "people" much older and heavier than me, work two full time jobs. Restaurant retail sales.

How do they do it?

There is no way my worthless corpse could physically handle home Depot, until 67 retirement

Afraid that I will be too old, disabled, injured to work at home Depot, but I won't be eligible for government benefits. Then how will I pay for room and board?

Two years ago a doctor gave me a note that I am not allowed to lift over fifty pounds. The now is much better than nothing. But pretty soon I won't be able to lift fifty pounds. Been exhausted and physically weak. Whole worthless corpse feels limp.

Panhandling my only prospect

I am a failure

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2023, 8:40 am

I worked at Home Depot a long time ago. It was hell.

Ideally, are jobs that have a mix of standing and sitting.

And if you're going to stand, moving around and being active is better than standing still.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 12:44 pm

Minervx

What job did you do at home Depot?

What was bad about working at home Depot?

Some jobs require standing still and not moving. For example, cashier

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 4:37 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
How do they do it?

Some may be via healthy diet, water, sleep, exercise, stretching etc - general healthy living that keeps people strong and mobile.

The rest? Probably drugs. Ibuprofen, THC, caffeine, amphetamines etc. Pain killers & stimulants.

And some yet may simply be fuelled by the love for their family, pets, or passion projects that just keeps them going strong no matter what. That can be very motivating and enable people to do a lot of work they otherwise don't believe themselves capable of.

Considering the typical person's health & circumstances, I'd bet $1 that the answer is mostly drugs ranging from food/drink, OTC pills or supplements to prescriptions or even street sourced.

..although, one other possibility is simply that you fatigue easier than others due to chronic fatigue symptoms if that's something you're afflicted with. The physical demands of working on your feet in a retail environment like Home Depot aren't exactly Zero, but they're Also not nearly as demanding as most of the occupations Home Depot sells tools & materials for. Home Depot uses forklifts and pallet jacks and other tools to move heavy things vs. everything being lifted and installed by hand like most construction worker bees. That's why some guys that get too old or injured to work on the tools anymore get jobs at HD to use their expertise helping customers select tools and materials.. because HD retail is relatively light duty work by comparison. So it may simply be that your experience is more physically intense than others feel doing the same work.

Back about ~12 years ago or so I was so weak and would fatigue so easily that I couldn't hardly hold the tools I was supposed to be using and felt like I was going to drop them off the ladder I was standing on vs. being able to use them with relative ease as my friend was doing. He thought I was bullshitting him, showed me how easy it was to use the tools and perform the task. I got frustrated telling him I was legitimately weak/fatigued and that I wasn't trying not to do the work - I Couldn't. Over time I became much healthier and stronger and haven't had that sort of extreme weakness & being easily fatigued since.

I guess I could place another 50 cent bet that others are on light drugs And you are weaker and more easily fatigue than they do. It's been My personal experience that symptoms are largely digestive in nature (ASD to chronic fatigue) and once I cleared and healed my digestive tract, my nervous system fires better and I believe I also absorb nutrients better in order to be healthier and stronger. Intense focus on healing from the inside out Could make a big difference for you and others.