Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sillylilgoober
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2023, 12:26 pm

which is a problem because my dad is kinda homophobic and transphobic and i dont want to have the Gay talk with him (its just him telling me how being gay is a sin) and if he finds out about i'm probably going to have my technology taken away or worse he'll monitor my online activities

r@y
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2023, 3:12 am

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your dad. I just read a book about Gender, Sexuality and Autism and it mentioned how it's not always safe to come out and they link to a page of the Trevor Project. You might know the page already, but it's the only thing I can think of right now:
https://www.thetrevorproject.org/resour ... -handbook/

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 3:57 am

Don't come out unless it's safe. Safety first.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

homurathought
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2023, 9:03 pm

i mean, does it benefit you in any way to tell your parents? honestly i think a lot of kids could just get by identifying by what they want online or w their friends instead of introducing people who dont get it to the problem before its completely understood. my mom found out i had some sort of gender dysphoria when she really didnt need to find that out and my view on what gender i am has fluctuated a lot since being 15. it could be different for me since i dont really even want hormones or surgery or any of that, i just want people to realize i clearly do not have the thoughts of a man

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 5:50 pm

homurathought wrote:
i mean, does it benefit you in any way to tell your parents?

Depends:

Could be anxiety relieving to be comfortably out vs. in the closet about it.

Also depends on their thoughts on potential healthcare interventions like HRT or puberty blockers - can't block puberty if it's already occurred, and then treatments would be different at later stages of maturity. So, that part dramatically depends on their age and what (potential) treatments or medical interventions they're interested in pursuing for themselves to feel whole & balanced. If any of them are extremely time sensitive due to age/biological maturity, then sometimes it's imperative that parents and doctors know.

And IF that's the case for the OP, AND they know that their parent is homo/transphobic and likely to react poorly, then they would Also have to be prepared for the possibility of abuse/being kicked out of the family home or disowned etc and have some sort of plan in place for housing/food etc supports. There's a reason only 7% of the population identifies as LGBT but 40% of homeless youth age 16-25 are LGBT.. So, the OP needs to take many things into consideration as to whether it's safe or necessary for Them to come out, and Also what their backup plan for life and living arrangements might be should they have to relocate for safety and to receive desired healthcare treatments. (if desired - every single trans person is different.) Might be some sort of counsellor or housing advocate to speak with, but even in the best run social systems in North America people tend to be basically on their own. For some, flying solo by the seat of their pants is better than living with people they cannot live with. These would all be very personal considerations of the OP to have to contemplate and decide upon.