Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 2:17 pm

I am finding that I get frustrated when I attempt to have a conversation with someone, only to get interrupted either when someone else, something comes up, or if a phone call gets their attention. This is especially the case when I haven't seen that person in a long time. This frustration sets in one setting if other people or circumstances keep interrupting.

-What are some unwritten social rules?

-What can I say so I don't end up losing my cool?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 4:09 pm

Yes, this can certainly be frustrating.

Unfortunately it now seems to be a growing social norm for people to be glued to their phones. See 2023 Cell Phone Usage Statistics here.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 7:48 am

It’s not just people picking up there phones that I have a problem with. However, it’s other people who grab the attention of the the person who I want to talk to.

Anyway, I finally stood up to someone yesterday who tried to take the floor away from me. So I said, “I was talking here,” and that other person just walked away.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 8:01 am

Gosh I wish I knew the answer! I'm sure there must be one....

I hate it. One especially frustrating thing is when I'm doing something work-related with my supervisor and then someone comes over to have a casual chat which interrupts what we're trying to do! And my supervisor just goes along with it and they chat for like 5 or more minutes !..... isn't that supposed to be super rude? Shouldn't people, like.... not do that?

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 4:30 pm

If you get mad at them you let them know how you feel.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2023, 5:31 pm

This is one of the reasons why I don't have a Smartphone, I swear they have made people so rude and stupid. As for myself, I get cut off a lot in the conversations or ignored, especially at work. Big reason why I don't talk much at work anymore.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 6:10 pm

People on the spectrum are known for giving speeches - talking too long, not noticing non-verbal signals that the topic doesn’t interest the listener or want to take a turn speaking.

I recommend reading some books on nonverbal communication. Also get a trusted friend to observe and make suggestions.

Role playing with a therapist or coach can also help.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 6:38 pm

There is nothing wrong with telling the person you want to be conversing with that you are frustrated. You can always ask the person to move to another more private space or continue the conversation another time. Often it helps lessen the frustration by just saying that you are frustrated rather than bottling up those emotions.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 3:00 pm

Fenn wrote:
People on the spectrum are known for giving speeches - talking too long, not noticing non-verbal signals that the topic doesn’t interest the listener or want to take a turn speaking.

I recommend reading some books on nonverbal communication. Also get a trusted friend to observe and make suggestions.

Role playing with a therapist or coach can also help.

Hi:
Thanks for reminding me that this could be a problem. However, this has happened where I try to start talking to someone and then they interrupt me by talking to the third person or picking up the phone.