The rise of the conservative mockbuster

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Dec 2023, 6:13 pm

I'm a bit obsessed with mockbusters, mostly for their tendency to be so-bad-it's-good. I've been following mockbusters since I was 18. I've been noticing a new trend in mockbusters that I haven't seen before: mockbusters created by conservatives in response to "woke" media. I first found out about it with Chip Chilla, an American ripoff of Bluey made by conservatives (usually mockbusters are non-American ripoffs of American properties...it's strange to see the reverse). Now I heard that The Daily Wire is making their own Snow White movie in response to Disney's much-hated upcoming live-action remake of Snow White. I feel like this is going to be the next big thing in mockbusters: conservative ripoffs of "woke" properties.

Do you see this becoming a trend in the future?

In case you don't know what a mockbuster is: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mockbuster

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 8:03 am

I don't know. Looks like it might be fun.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2023, 9:14 am

I get that. Not all mockbusters are foreign (for example, Spark Plug Entertainment, which made ripoffs of Cars, Bee Movie, and Charlotte's Web, is as American as apple pie - it's based in upstate New York. I think The Asylum is American too since the vast majority of its actors are). But mockbusters generally didn't have a political slant in the past, at least not in America. However, there were some that had questionable aesops, like The Legend of the Titanic, which inserts a "save the whales" aesop into a movie about the Titanic sinking.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 4:42 pm

The Daily Wire is trying to prove they're not part of the failed actor to professional chud pipeline, while also demonstrating why so many of their people are failed actors.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2023, 1:51 pm

It's ironic that conservatives spend so much time complaining about "woke" media, and yet they can't make media of their own that doesn't suck.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 1:58 pm

NibiruMul wrote:
It's ironic that conservatives spend so much time complaining about "woke" media, and yet they can't make media of their own that doesn't suck.

I believe the two are largely related. They seem mainstream entertainment reject their values and seethe, but the entertainment they produce is so terrible (acting, production and the values promoted) that they can't break through to the mainsteam, and they seethe again.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2023, 5:09 pm

Regardless of what people's political views are, people should at least have their own ideas when it comes to making movies and TV shows rather than stealing others' ideas. I know with a public domain story (like Alice in Wonderland or Cinderella), it doesn't belong to anyone, so anyone is free to make an adaptation of it, but stuff like Cars and Bluey are copyrighted.

Some mockbusters have actually resulted in lawsuits. The Asylum lost the right to make a movie called Age of the Hobbits because it was considered too similar to Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy. Peter Jackson had exclusive rights to adapting The Hobbit, and Tolkien's estate has trademarked the word "hobbit". Although their movie was supposedly about Homo floresiensis, the real-life "hobbits" of Flores. (I feel like that would have made a pretty interesting low-budget movie - diminutive humans being eaten by giant marabou storks. Look up "Leptoptilos robustus" and you'll know what I'm talking about.)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 7:33 pm

NibiruMul wrote:

Because they don't allow cussin' or nekkid people.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 9:18 pm

I don't want to consume media that has any biased political agenda. I want either something that has a well written story or a comedy that takes the piss out of all sides.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 9:32 pm

NibiruMul wrote:

That's the part they seem to ignore. While they might hate the "mainstream" media, there are at least people that want to see the mainstream stuff. Most of the stuff being produced by the folks that hate the media just outright blows and doesn't have any sort of real audience. At least not an audience that's willing to pay the kind of money it would take to make stuff that doesn't blow.

It's a similar problem to so much of that "Christian" media that caters to fundamentalists, it's so restricted in what it can do and in terms of funding that there's rarely, if ever, anything out of that corner that anybody is interested in unironically. I think the last one I remember was The Passion of the Christ, and that was how many years ago at this point? And does anybody even talk about it these days at all?

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 9:34 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
I don't want to consume media that has any biased political agenda. I want either something that has a well written story or a comedy that takes the piss out of all sides.

That's incredibly hard to do and results in crap that nobody wants to watch. There have been a lot of attempts at that sort of thing and they basically always fail because there's too many competing groups that don't like being taken to task the way that they like other groups being taken to task.