Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2023, 4:27 pm

I'm an Aspie, I eat bread... and I shouldn't. I used to get away with it when I was younger, but the fact is, if I eat bread (or glutenous products) for more than about two days, all of my joints get painful.

I have a finger (middle, right hand), that I fractured while doing judo in the early 80s, then fractured again about ten years ago while doing karate. It's my canary in the coal mine. It is often in mild pain, but when I eat gluten products, it gets worse, fast. Then if I keep eating these foods, everything else flares up.

Gluten containing food is often paired with dairy as the two foods for us to avoid, as it's believed they have specific elements that affect our brains. It's widely reported, even if only anecdotally, that quitting these foods leads to clearing up brain fog.

There's nothing universal about it. It effects some, but not others. I'd suggest being aware of it. Maybe see what effect it has if you give it up for a week.

Just be aware. Make your own choices.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 7:55 pm

I like bread, but don't particularly need it. Just that I bake my own so it's good stuff, and it doesn't seem to do me any harm. Without it there'd be nothing to put my fried egg on, so I wouldn't have much of a breakfast.

I also make a good raisin loaf which is basically just wholemeal bread with a lot of raisins and cinnamon in it, plus a bit of calcium chloride because otherwise I wouldn't be consuming the RDA of calcium.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 1:02 pm

i realize some folks are invulnerable to gluten, but i found that when i gave it up several years ago, my chronic sinus infections [i'd get 'em 3 times per year, each requiring two separate courses of bug killers to tamp down] went away. my skin cleared up and dried up, i used to have chronically greasy and pimply skin much of the time, now it is largely dry and clear. my body pains and inflammation reduced as well.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 6:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i realize some folks are invulnerable to gluten, but i found that when i gave it up several years ago, my chronic sinus infections [i'd get 'em 3 times per year, each requiring two separate courses of bug killers to tamp down] went away. my skin cleared up and dried up, i used to have chronically greasy and pimply skin much of the time, now it is largely dry and clear. my body pains and inflammation reduced as well.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't made the connection until I saw your mention of sinus infections. I still get those, but I used to get Bronchitis every year it seemed, but I cut out gluten a couple of years ago and haven't had Bronchitis since. Maybe there is a relationship.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 11:00 pm

^^^you're welcome :)

us aspies oughta look after one another :bounce: :bounce:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 11:04 am

Hopefully we will all perhaps get to make it into a healthy older Age....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 12:55 pm

just avoid refined sugars if at all possible, wherever possible.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 8:52 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
If you do want bread, I would suggest getting it fresh from the bakery/bakery section at your local grocer, and not going for something made in a factory.

This.
I sometimes have a problem with bread, but discovered it's not the gluten it's the additives.

My suggestion: Read the label. Avoid anything with added emulsifiers, preservatives (which may include cultured flour), modified starches, soybean/pea flour. Buy loaves baked that day with a 'best before' date the day after (freeze if you want to keep longer).

Personally, I can only have the freshly-baked bread, not the type that sits on a shelf for a week or more, because of the preservatives.

I suspect there's a double-whammy issue with some breads - the emulsifiers adversely affect the gut lining, which can then open up to let through gluten and lectins, which then harm our joints and other systems. This can happen even if you are not strictly celiac or gluten intolerant.

Once your gut lining is repaired and you are in good health and not stressed, you may find you can eat fresh bread with no adverse effects - as long as it has no emulsifiers or preservatives.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 9:01 pm

Oh, I realise I haven't exactly answered the question!

Yes, it is also OK to cut out bread entirely, as long as you have access to a variety of other food.

What you will find is that your body will naturally try to fill any lack of nutrients (carbs, vitamins, minerals) by making you crave certain types of foods. So you have to see what other foods can satisfy those cravings instead of bread. You might start wanting to eat more nuts, for example. I found oat porridge with bananas helpful to satisfy carb cravings.