Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

mackereltabby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2023, 2:00 am

Hey all, i’m a new member here on WP — I found the site through one of my futile google searches as to why NTs do the things they do — and I am very happy to have found this community of diverse people that might “get” me. Some background is that i’m a 21 y/o American woman who is studying political science at college and hopefully graduating soon. I was diagnosed with asd later in life and I also have ocd. I have had a lot of jobs, mostly in the restaurant and hospitality industry unfortunately. I am hoping that with my degree I can finally get out of food service misery!!

My major interests are anime (specifically: Attack on titan, Mob psycho 100, fullmetal alchemist, Assassination classroom, jujutsu kaisen, and some others) and video games (final fantasy series, the sims, minecraft, wizard101). I also am very interested in political theory and philosophy, my main focus is on the intersection between sociological factors and political affiliation. I love to read especially nonfiction and fantasy fiction. I also love animals but specifically domestic cats, which I have one of my own who is a 3 year old mackerel tabby cat (like my username). My favorite movies are the Lord of the Rings movies and I even have a Lord of the Rings tattoo to show for it.
That’s a lot of information about me but I am happy to get to know more of you as well- if you are inclined please comment and introduce yourself to me too!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 3:01 am

Hello mackereltabby and welcome!

You asked for intros so here goes.

I could write an intro much like yours, with just a few edits. Note the overlap -

I'm an old member here on WP, from 2017 - I found the site through one of my futile google searches as to whether or not I was the only cretin on Earth who hated Daylight Savings Time and wanted it to be abolished year-round. Note the date I joined 1st November - I was very very happy for the clocks to turn back and make my days shorter. Turns out (some) Austistic people hate DST too because of light sensitivity, but NTs generally think I'm insane for preferring darkness (or, they think I'm goth .... or I'm a vampiress ... neither or which is completely true). I was happy to find this place, and a diverse community that might "get" me too. The jury's still out on whether anyone gets me, but at least I haven't been shown the door. Some background is I'm old enough to be your mother. I studied Philosophy and I did graduate. I even taught it. I was dx with ASD later in life and I also have ADHD, PTSD, and a bunch of other pompous acronyms that make me sound complicated. I'm not really. I had a long career in academia and teaching. My daughter worked in the food service and restaurant industry as a chef. She considered it misery and got out fast.

My major interests are reading 19th Century lit, Metaphysics, Ethics, and avoiding real life. I am also very interested in boring chaps like Plato and Kant. My main focus is on finding my glasses so I can read, and trying not to spend too much time on WP (epic fail). I love to read literary biographies, Victorian literature, 18th-19th century Gothic literature, children's literature, literary criticism, and literary philosophy. I love animals but specifically domestic cats, of which I have five. I also have a dog. My favourite movies are It's a Wonderful Life, The Breakfast Club (Alison is my spirit human), To Kill a Mockingbird, Six Feet Under (TV), and it's always nice to watch Dexter kill peeps too.

Welcome to the fray!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 9:00 am

When I read your username I thought of the fish of the same name.

Welcome to the forum! :alien:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 3:36 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

I'd encourage you to try to remember the work you are doing now is just where you travel through to get to a better future...but I think you have already figured that out. And a good degree should help you get to that better future more quickly.

And regarding "why NTs do the things they do"...yeah. I kind of like this family of explanations:

"Allism Spectrum Disorders: A Parody"

:wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 3:38 pm

Awesome, another cat who likes where sociology and politics meet.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 8:51 pm

I had many cats through the years. One of the most interesting one was a Maine Coon. It was a very unique cat. It was a Polydactyl Maine Coon. It had 6 claws on each of its legs. It was fearless. When it was a baby, my large dog would come up to it and start growling at it. The kitten showed no fear. Didn't even bat an eye. But when the dog got too close, the cat would take a swipe or two and the dog would run away in fear. It was like a big cat in a very small size. It was a very gentle cat. Here is a video of a polydactyl maine coon.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 3:23 pm

welcome!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 5:35 am

Hello mackereltabby, welcome.

I love cats as well. Me and my housemate have a beautiful big black cat named Kira (he's a boy but we named him before we knew) who was a stray. He wandered into our house one day as a tiny kitten and started to eat our cat's food. He was emaciated so we decided to keep him and feed him special kitten food. It worked and so now we have a great cat. He's very anxious and runs under my bed as soon as someone comes to the front door. Sometimes I wish I could join him!

Our other cat is a ginger and white boy named Rowan. His ginger is in the pattern of a classic tabby which I love. He was a foster cat from a friend of my sister's. When he's happy, his tail curls right over to his back which is endearing. He also has a meow that can't be ignored.

So that's my cats story, I'd like to read yours. 8)

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Dec 2023, 9:20 am

Welcome to the wrong planet!

DaveAndZero
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Dec 2023, 5:16 pm

Hi there MackTab,

From one new person to another, welcome! Congrats on getting a diagnosis so early in your adult life - I wish desperately that I had done the same, but, c'est la vie. Happy for you!

I also worked in hospitality for 5 years and I understand the struggle. Ugh. Every time I stay at a hotel now, I let them know that I worked 5 years of front desk and that I appreciate their efforts... Goes a long way to bring some smiles. Resulted in quite a few room upgrades too :lol:

I'm currently finishing up season 1 of mob psycho 100 (thanks for the reminder) and I'm just about to finish a replay of Final Fantasy VII original, and then I'll be moving into FF6 which I've heard such amazing things about. I've actually been to a couple Distant Worlds concerts and one of my prized possessions is the original FF7 vinyl soundtrack that I got signed by Nobuo Uematsu.

If you ever want to chat about any of that, I'm around. Welcome to this strange, yet somehow already familiar, new planet!

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Dec 2023, 5:17 pm

Happy to have you here!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 9:57 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel