Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2023, 3:22 am

Hello, everyone.
I am autistic, self-diagnosed, and my special interest is Studio C.
I am feeling very unconnected from others and I thought this would help me connect with other people who are also on the spectrum.
Am I welcome here?

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 5:43 am

Hi there, I'm sure you'll find that you are more than welcome. 8)

What lead you to your self diagnosis? Is it a recent thing or something you've been considering for a while?

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2023, 1:48 pm

Comet Zed wrote:
Hi there, I'm sure you'll find that you are more than welcome. 8)

What lead you to your self diagnosis? Is it a recent thing or something you've been considering for a while?

I've been considering it for a few years. My Mom always avoided answering whenever I asked, but there was a time when my twin sister overheard her talking to my Dad about the possibility years before I found out.
The more I learn about autism, the more I relate.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 6:35 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

I joined Wrong Planet when I was 16 and it's been great ever since.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 9:00 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I have Asperger's Syndrome, Aspie for short. I am 3 quarters of a century old and my mind keep growing. I develop a special interest and learn everything about it in a very short time and become a Subject Matter Expert. Then I move onto something else that get my attention and I learn that item. Over time I have found many special interest. Good luck on your journey through life.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 8:44 am

welcome, its a lot to sort! you can feel safe asking questions here, you are among others who understand

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 8:50 am

I'm formally diagnosed, but when I first became active here I was self-diagnosed. I never felt particularly unwelcome :)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 12:16 pm

Welcome to WP! I think you can find some interesting conversations here.

Regarding getting a formal diagnosis...I think it depends. (My opinion is just my opinion, of course.) If you need treatment or special accommodations then you might need a formal diagnosis.

But needing treatment is not the same as not having a formal diagnosis but still learning about the Autism Spectrum and using that information to better navigate your way through life. And needing special accommodations is not the same as getting things you could probably get just for asking, even without a formal diagnosis.

And having a formal diagnosis might create unnecessary issues for you. There might be situations where you are obligated to divulge the diagnosis and then decisions about you will be based on it. Wandering through WP you'll see that it could prevent you from getting into the military (joining the military was one of the best decisions I ever made!) and, apparently, it might become a reportable medical issue for things like getting a driver's license.

I'm glad I got my diagnosis and I'm glad I did not get it before I was middle-aged. Sigh. In reality I got the diagnosis when I was 64 and a year or two later I might not have gotten the hints that lead me to the diagnosis. But, in any event, I was able to build my life without people's opinions being based solely on "He's Autistic!"

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 5:48 am

Hi Josette Joy, welcome.

I'm a twin like you but my sister isn't autistic. No one in my family is except a distant cousin and possibly a nephew (undiagnosed).

You've started some good, relevant threads. 8)