What Is the Most Ableist Thing Someone Has Said to You?

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 3:50 am

It has been my experience that the most painful Ableist nonsense came not come from others, but from myself. Being late Dx and spending a lifetime of unconsciously over adapting and overcompensating for something I could never name caused so much suffering. Today, I live more above the line of awareness and not so much being pushed and pulled around below it. As a direct result I am more drawn into life and less driven to adapt.This is the gift that comes with a Dx.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 6:32 pm

quaker wrote:
It has been my experience that the most painful Ableist nonsense came not come from others, but from myself. Being late Dx and spending a lifetime of unconsciously over adapting and overcompensating for something I could never name caused so much suffering. Today, I live more above the line of awareness and not so much being pushed and pulled around below it. As a direct result I am more drawn into life and less driven to adapt.This is the gift that comes with a Dx.

I relate. Before DX I was fighting an invisible monster. DX was the proverbial "bucket of paint" being thrown on the invisible monster.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 11:59 am

Things like all those ret*ds should be put away, or killed.

Arguments for “good eugenics” on this forum.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

barelydomestic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2024, 5:59 am

Being called evil, being told to stop "acting like a doll" because I don't emote.

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2024, 6:58 am

There are so many to choose from. The most upsetting in general would be something like "I'll do this with you if you promise you won't get upset." How can I promise that? I don't know what might or might not upset me. If something does upset me and you scold me for getting upset, instead of understanding why and supporting me, it will get worse. How dare you put this horrible judgment on me when you won't even lift a finger to try to understand.

Anyway, yeah and there are more.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2024, 7:21 pm

"This spectrum thing ain't real, boy. It's something the government created."

I have an uncle who has said this to me in the past, so this is one reason I avoid him.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2024, 11:18 pm

When I was 12, a boy in my regular Grade 6 class asked me why my parents didn't have an abortion.