Why have gyms and fitness become a craze ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 3:47 pm

I sometimes feel like I'm the only who is not really into fitness and going to gyms and stuff. I see books about it at work, I see adverts (commercials) about it on social media and on TV and it just feels me feeling like I'm "missing out" because it feels like everyone else is into it and not me so much a bit like some TV show on netflix that everyone is talking about. I've got a couple of weights and do press ups at home which I've used on occasions and not all the time. I've do a lot of walking to work and a few times now I've done 50 minute walks to see my therapist when my car was unavailable. It sometimes feels like seeing it all the time makes me feel it's what I "should" be doing and "should" have been doing through my teens and 20s as though it's a must do for young people and I feel bad because I wasn't thinking about it at the time.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 6:20 pm

The whole health shtick.

But in reality, it's the weight loss and attaining physical figures. It's this whole idea of looking more physically attractive.

I'm a habitually active person. There's no sense of obligation for me whenever I cycle for hours or walk hours long.
I want to be able to walk for hours long without an effort by the time I'm at my teens. And did just that -- no advertising needed. And everyone's somehow shocked at this habit of mine.

I don't have to consciously start giving effort, not even when I'm relatively new at going to a gym.
I sort of regret not doing earlier -- not because I have to, but because I like it and I should've discovered it sooner on how it felt for me.

My motive around fitness is either for my nervous system; which is apparently not a common conscious motive -- or outright wanting to be stronger, to be actually be fitter and having a less inconvenience of a body.

But I know what I do is not complete. Workouts aren't enough.
There's diet, rest and stress management -- which is harder to do in my own case.

I don't hear the same motive from others, unless it seem mandatory (like those who need PT or staving effects of aging).
Else, unless you're a senior or physically disabled, everyone assumes it's losing weight and gaining figures -- which I do not get nor understand. It's also how I do not understand the hype.

Partially because I'm one of those lucky ones who have the genetics to not need lose weight -- and partially because of being straight up asocial.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 6:40 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Why have gyms and fitness become a craze?
Maybe because societies have valued strength, agility, and endurance in their soldiers since the first stone was cast in the first war.  In other words, gyms and fitness are not a recent "craze", but a valued phenomenon that has existed throughout history and across many cultures.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 7:57 pm

In the U.S., a lot of it is genuinely about appearances--whether it's to attain that impossible figure you've seen on this star or that, or muscle bulk/definition, or to fit in with a certain clique that does all the trendy new workouts in the priciest attire. The fitness and weight loss industries are BIG MONEY and they know how to sell themselves, even when it means setting up and perpetuating someone's dysmorphia, excessive obsession, or eating disorder.

For a lot of others, though, it is actually about fitness and health, those feel-good-endorphins or stress relief, having more energy, getting better sleep, protecting your bones and preventing injury (in my case, on the job), cognitive and mental health, and the plain old joy of movement. I'm thankful for all that my body can do.

There are so many benefits, really. My mom and I have talked about what her mom and our grandmothers would think of us and decided that their disapproval of our perceived unlady-like routines just doesn't float when you compare it with what we know today! :lol:

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 8:40 pm

They haven't - unless you think 50+ years still qualifies as a "craze" and thats in the most modern sense. Organized physical health has existed almost as long as humans have existed in some for or other.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 7:37 pm

DanielW wrote:
They haven't - unless you think 50+ years still qualifies as a "craze" and thats in the most modern sense. Organized physical health has existed almost as long as humans have existed in some for or other.

Quite true; for decades, the "craze" has focused on one or two styles of workout or various regimens--running, Jazzercise, step aerobics, Zumba, Pilates, and stationary cycling, to name just a few. Then there's HIIT, "met-con," steady state cardio, cardio-strength mashups, Tabata, etc.

Chris1989, what makes you feel that it's a craze, exactly?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 11:01 pm

At my age I'd think I'd be invisible, but since I dropped my waistline to 25 and now 24 inches I've found that people will wait for me in the cars for me to cross in front of them in parking lots! I assume it is because people like looking at attractive people. Sometimes I'm not even close to crossing yet but they want to get a good look at me.

Only 8% of women have hourglass figures.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 11:10 pm

physical culture = sex.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 11:56 am

When I first started in the gym 25 years ago, they were not unusual but I didn't know that many people in my world that went. Now it seems a big part of young people's lives.

I think its a positive thing tbh.

Youngsters these days seem less interested in drink and drugs and more interested in their health

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 12:09 pm

I get it. Who wouldn't want a body that both looks good and functions well? Having been both quite fit and quite fat I can tell you that being fit makes everything easier. It's not just about being able to wear a tight white t-shirt. It's about the effort you have to put in to simple daily tasks. It's about how you feel as you go about living. It's better to be fit, if you can be. Our bodies were made to be worked and they work better when they are used.

Gyms sell you that promise. I think there is part of people that thinks if you make a financial commitment to something, I.e a gym membership, you're more likely to do the work if getting and staying fit. For some that may even be true. But I suspect the business model of a gym relies on people subscribing but not actually showing up.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 12:26 pm

It's obviously not for everyone, and no one should feel pressured into doing something they don't want to do.

For me, around 4-5 years ago when I was in the best gym shape of my life, it felt truly amazing and I had confidence and a feel good factor like I never thought I could have. I wasn't huge like some model either.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2023, 1:32 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I suspect the business model of a gym relies on people subscribing but not actually showing up.

For me that's part of the appeal - to get fit and all the health benifits of physical training and at the same time kicking the s**t out of their business model by visiting the gym 4 times a week all the year around.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 1:42 pm

The value for money is amazing if you make use of their facilities enough (and its a decent gym)

my old gym, pre covid, was the best I have ever used by a long way. £45 per month and I was usually in there 6 days a week. They had a huge area for cardio and every weight machine you could imagine. Nice pool along with steam room and sauna. Also used to use the smaller rooms for boxing training now and again.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 5:49 pm

i remember before covid, i was in prolly the best shape of my life. then i became a senior citizen and covid happened to me and systemic arthritis happened to me all at once, and everything just went to hell. age is highly over-rated IMHO, at least for me, in my present state of struggling to function.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 8:38 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
I get it. Who wouldn't want a body that both looks good and functions well? Having been both quite fit and quite fat I can tell you that being fit makes everything easier. It's not just about being able to wear a tight white t-shirt. It's about the effort you have to put in to simple daily tasks. It's about how you feel as you go about living. It's better to be fit, if you can be. Our bodies were made to be worked and they work better when they are used.

Gyms sell you that promise. I think there is part of people that thinks if you make a financial commitment to something, I.e a gym membership, you're more likely to do the work if getting and staying fit. For some that may even be true. But I suspect the business model of a gym relies on people subscribing but not actually showing up.

Most people don't know discreet tasks and habit forming processes.

They believe in the idea of discipline, willpower and consistency.
But that's not how most people actually work.

They believe in this hypothetical fit and healthier version of themselves and tried to commit via new years resolution or whatever initial motivation -- but that's not really how change works.

I myself been consistent in exercises unless something actually came up -- being sick, the weather, other obligations, etc.

This isn't willpower or discipline or some external rewards; it just feels good for me to just do and think of nothing but lift weights and move. :lol:

It's not the promise that get me, it's the process.
And, well, this is not a choice like how special interests are not a choice.
I'm not 'coping' with the 'hard work' nor obligated to -- instead I'm coping with the obstacles that gets me in the way to just go to gym for at least an hour, damnit. :?

I've yet to buy a membership and as soon as I leave work, I'll show up for at least twice a week.

In any other case, being fit isn't limited to exercises; there's diet and rest.

My eating and sleeping habits are terrible -- I'm still picky and my sleep is still crap; I still have trouble adjusting something so basic.

And yet I have no issues with physical exertion?
Hm. Perhaps it's because moving is the way for my body to go.

Yet, also, because I never learnt the nature of my chronotype, only that I know I have a major mismatch between my biology and whatever lifestyle of a day job I'm trying to fit myself into.

Food? I have to study my gut, my hormones, etc. I've yet to master my body.

And in reality, most people do not try and figure how to master their body, let alone understand how the human brain works.
Advertisements only gives partial answers. Or some one solution or trait as if it's a cure all for all woes and the key for all successes.

The craze is this... Easy fix, fast results...
Promising this idealized version of themselves, not truly telling the hows and prerequisites; the real hard work, and how complex it actually is.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 2:03 pm

^Totally agree with that. Willpower can get you started but it isn't sustainable over time.

That's why if you really want to get fit and stay fit you have to find a physical activity that first and foremost you enjoy doing. It has to be something you want to do. Forcing yourself to run or lift or whatever isn't going to work.

Personally there's nothing in a gym that i would find fun enough to do it regularly. I like to run in the woods so I do that.