Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2023, 5:22 pm

I was always confused and pardon my ignorance, but do models and Instagram models date men with money, or make a lot through brand endorsements? I ask because I at times like looking at attractive women, but most of them seem in their ''own world'' or always taking it easy, while mostly everybody is going crazy working and what not, I am not jealous or angry just confused

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 5:25 pm

neither - they pretend to have more money than they do. Most do get free products to promote and do make some money at it of course, but most of that is projecting an image of a lifestyle in order to gain followers (followed by more free product to promote and a bit more money).

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2024, 2:57 pm

it's weird because for example, everyone is mostly out working, stressed and what not, and a lot of them are just ''tanning'' outside or relaxed, I am saying to myself don't they work?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 3:06 pm

DanielW wrote:
neither - they pretend to have more money than they do. Most do get free products to promote and do make some money at it of course, but most of that is projecting an image of a lifestyle in order to gain followers (followed by more free product to promote and a bit more money).

^^ THIS ^^

Social media influencers are often exposed as either being trust-fund brats living off daddy's money, pretending to be self-made - or just outright lying, using faked pix to make it look like they're rich - with a handfull who made money, but did so illegally, got caught, and lost everything.

They're basically con-artists pretending to be something they're not for "fame", which they then try to use as leverage to get free stuff.

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2024, 3:12 pm

I tried to talk with a few, but they seem in a ''different reality'' or out of touch

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 3:16 pm

Aet1985 wrote:
I tried to talk with a few, but they seem in a ''different reality'' or out of touch

They are very much in a different reality - one of their own creation, where they are the main character.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 3:21 pm

Aet1985 wrote:
it's weird because for example, everyone is mostly out working, stressed and what not, and a lot of them are just ''tanning'' outside or relaxed, I am saying to myself don't they work?

Influences and lifestyle models (or whatever you'd like to call them) go out of their way to project a certain image, meaning even if they're doing all the grunt work themselves, they're only going to post certain themes. The goal is to appear to be living 'their best life'.

They're not going to post a video of the work it takes to arrange a photoshoot, because that's real-world stuff. They're not going to post a video of them boxing up the borrowed jewellery to mail back, because that's real-world stuff. Some of them do live subsidized lives to some extent or another (by parents or a partner, for example) but others don't seem to.

Even very minor celebrities do this, they try to build a personal public brand by controlling what aspects of themselves the general public sees. Part of this usually involves compartmentalizing the rest of their life. If so-and-so is a computer programmer or a high school English teacher, it doesn't matter to their career as a glamour model or death metal vocalist.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2024, 3:25 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
DanielW wrote:

^^ THIS ^^

Social media influencers are often exposed as either being trust-fund brats living off daddy's money, pretending to be self-made - or just outright lying, using faked pix to make it look like they're rich - with a handfull who made money, but did so illegally, got caught, and lost everything.

They're basically con-artists pretending to be something they're not for "fame", which they then try to use as leverage to get free stuff.

Sometimes more than one of those reasons are in play too. Like a trustfund brat who also has an okay paying nepo job, who also pretends to have more money than they really do, who's also six months away from getting busted for financial crimes.

There's also the ones who engage in compensated dating, which might also overlap with any of the previous.

And then there's ones who go to Dubai. :eew:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 2:03 am

Aet1985 wrote:
I was always confused and pardon my ignorance, but do models and Instagram models date men with money, or make a lot through brand endorsements?  I ask because I at times like looking at attractive women, but most of them seem in their ''own world'' or always taking it easy, while mostly everybody is going crazy working and what not, I am not jealous or angry just confused
People of above-average attractiveness eventually discover that they can be choosy about whose attentions they accept.  Why should the most attractive-looking people settle for some workaday drone who rides public transportation when they can acknowledge the attentions of a wealthy person who rides in the back of a limo?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Daisy_Eyes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2024, 9:42 am

Instagram models are just showing you a curated image of themselves that probably has little resemblance to their reality.

Even their physical appearance probably bears little resemblance to how they look in person due to the use of filters/posing/lighting.

It is similiar to the way they make McDonald's hamburgers look in an advertisement vs how they look when you actually order one.

I do not see anything wrong if you like to look at them, but they will probably never show you anything genuine of themselves if you interact with them.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 12:25 pm

Aet1985 wrote:
I ask because I at times like looking at attractive women, but most of them seem in their ''own world'' or always taking it easy, while mostly everybody is going crazy working and what not, I am not jealous or angry just confused

Sometimes appearances can be deceiving.

If people are making profit through revenue from ads/views, receiving free products, or whatever, it’s a job, like anything else. When I worked in customer service, I had to present a friendly, positive exterior even when I was unhappy and telling people off for their abusive behavior in my head. It was part of my job to do so.

It’s very easy to stereotype groups of people, especially when confirmation bias leads us to primarily focus on those who fit our preconceived notions. Sure, social media influencers, no matter their gender, engage in piss-poor behavior sometimes, but that doesn’t mean that all or even most of them do.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 12:35 pm

Perhaps when you see these models , might kindly consider , that they are doing it , i believe to make a buck ..
Sort of like watching movie, completely with Props to set up the image they wish to portray.And getting followers is also the new currency for people doing business on the net . Professionally or otherwise. So enjoy what you see, but consider the circumstances , your still watching Media / entertainment .Sometimes complete with product placement. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are