Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2023, 2:39 am

After a loud day and your senses being overly sensitive, when you lie in bed, finally with quiet all around you, do you hear all the noises you heard echo in your mind? Every loud laugh, clap, air-conditioning unit, overload of conversations, background noise - everything. Does it reverberate in your mind all at once when you finally sit in peace and quiet?

I experience this multiple times and I can't help wonder if other people on the spectrum do too.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 11:37 am

Yeah. My brain does glom onto things I heard and it's like the chaos lingers on, replaying itself in my head for some time after it's all said and done. It's like my mind is trying to make sense of all it had coming at it. I would like a metaphorical faucet to plunge into my head and turn on, just to let it all out when that happens. I could do without the mental replays.

Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2024, 2:19 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
Yeah. My brain does glom onto things I heard and it's like the chaos lingers on, replaying itself in my head for some time after it's all said and done. It's like my mind is trying to make sense of all it had coming at it. I would like a metaphorical faucet to plunge into my head and turn on, just to let it all out when that happens. I could do without the mental replays.

Ditto

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.

vergil96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2024, 5:56 am

Yes I experience exactly the same thing. Constant flow of memories, my brain won't quiet down, it's exhausting.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 2:16 pm

35th percentile auditory processing here. It is impossible not to be overwhelmed in noisy places or where there is any background noise, conversation, music playing, etc. Movies and "real time" conversations, "tv, lectures, demonstrations , etc all difficult beyond description, and when my 25th percentila visual processing is also to be used, I simply can't cope, the stress is unbelievable. I have learned to be very careful of attempting to go loud or busy places or meet a large group in them, or anywhere else, including family gatherings , etc... I have lowered my stress/anxiety level considerably by not placing demands on my senses that I know my "operating system" can not deal with.
Before diagnosis, I did try to participate frequently and wondered why I was always physically sick with splitting headaches, shaking and trembling, and vomiting. Overload was the answer. Once I got diagnosis and found about m sensory processing disorder, I was able to adapt and for the most part am living a much healthier and mostly stress free life now.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 2:50 pm

autisticelders wrote:
35th percentile auditory processing here. It is impossible not to be overwhelmed in noisy places or where there is any background noise, conversation, music playing, etc. Movies and "real time" conversations, "tv, lectures, demonstrations , etc all difficult beyond description, and when my 25th percentila visual processing is also to be used, I simply can't cope, the stress is unbelievable. I have learned to be very careful of attempting to go loud or busy places or meet a large group in them, or anywhere else, including family gatherings , etc... I have lowered my stress/anxiety level considerably by not placing demands on my senses that I know my "operating system" can not deal with.
Before diagnosis, I did try to participate frequently and wondered why I was always physically sick with splitting headaches, shaking and trembling, and vomiting. Overload was the answer. Once I got diagnosis and found about m sensory processing disorder, I was able to adapt and for the most part am living a much healthier and mostly stress free life now.

Totally get the above thread....! ^^^^^^^^^.... :mrgreen: ...but did attempt self medication, when in my younger days,to help the circumstances of being out and about especially if out in the evenings . When I did not realize these situations drained spoons quickly .

where ever you go ,there you are

Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2024, 5:03 pm

autisticelders wrote:
I did try to participate frequently and wondered why I was always physically sick with splitting headaches, shaking and trembling, and vomiting. Overload was the answer.

I first started to experience this in my teens.

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 1:28 pm

I "hear" a bit of an echo of loud noises shortly after they actually happen, but it doesn't last very long. Nothing else AFAIK.