Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

vaviii
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2023, 6:15 am

Hello,

My therapist suggested I look into online forums for adults with autism to see what support is out there. I love the name "wrong planet" because I have often felt like I was not meant to be on this world.

The basics:

I'm 48 years old, living in the Seattle area, and I was just diagnosed as autistic. Specifically, I tested very low for empathy and have trouble understanding my own and others' emotions. This is the primary reason I have struggled with depression and anxiety for most of my life.

I also lost a job this year that had been supplying 60% of my income. This did not help my depression. I'm currently semi-employed but can't live on this income forever.

I am very anxious about what is going to happen next because I know I'm not cut out for most jobs. I do best working alone from home and on my own schedule, which right there narrows my options significantly.

I'm signing up here hoping to get support from others who have been through or are going through similar scenarios, and looking for advice on what career options might be available.

Thanks for reading, everyone.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 8:40 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Age is a problem. Most companies seek individuals that are young. Even if you have built a variety of very useful skills, you might not be able to find good employment opportunities.

You may have to change career fields? So do not give up but seek opportunities. Sometimes opportunities come out of nowhere. Someone you know, might open a door.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 8:43 am

welcome, hope you will feel at home here where there are others who will understand! Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 9:10 am

Welcome to this here ..Wrong Planet. ...hope you find threads / conversations that might suite you or expand your knowledge ... :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 11:32 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it a useful place to continue visiting...or, at least, a pleasant place to continue visiting.

When I first heard the name "Wrong Planet" I also immediately liked it. It is so descriptive of the experience.

Left to my own, I would've said my life was like living in the Twilight Zone. I'm somewhat older so I'm talking about the original Twilight Zone.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 8:28 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)