Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

v4169sgr
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2023, 4:53 pm

Just a quick intro post.

I was diagnosed through a work-sponsored scheme last August after prevaricating for five+ years because I didn't like the idea of being labelled or pigeon-holed, and because work up to that point had been pretty hostile to the idea. Needless to say it's a night and day transformation now - a whole lot more supportive.

Being fifty-something I don't feel that obtaining a diagnosis has changed how I feel about myself or my self-model, however it certainly has opened the door to new insights and opportunities for introspection.

A close family member was diagnosed officially a while back which did set the wheels of thought in motion. Several older family members would I feel certainly have been diagnosed themselves had the concepts and support been available.

I was very ill as a child - I didn't walk at all until two and a half, and not properly until six or seven. This caused knock on effects on my digestion that caused a one month+ stay in a major children's hospital plus as I recall significant physiotherapy. To this day I do not find stair steps or slopes at all easy to cope with. This as I understand it now is a deficit in proprioception - I literally don't know (much about) here my body is.

Plus of course on top of that there are a slew of challenges with social interaction etc. I find it a great deal easier to express myself using the written word than the spoken word - not that I don't like to try, but I find I am more easily understood in writing. Added to which I stim a lot (much less than when I was a child), prefer my own company, focus easily on tasks & find it difficult to adjust when interrupted etc. I can see a lot of sense in the emerging model of 'monotropism' as applied to autism.

I have several interests which I pursue to some depth and find a great deal of satisfaction and purpose in.

I've just recently equipped myself with three enamel badges: a great big yellow smiley face, a skull and crossbones, and a "I'm autistic, not rude" little blue badge. I had the opportunity to share these with my wider team at work in a DEI Listening Circle exercise & think what a fantastic thing to have happened!

I still don't like or appreciate being labelled though :lol:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 7:20 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And I agree that a really late diagnosis (mine was at age 64) is more about understanding than it is about doing anything.

However, I've been trying to get some use out of these:
 □ "HEALTHCARE TOOLKIT: Patient Centered Care Tools for Autistic Adults"
 □ "How Autism Can Affect Healthcare"
However, my medical providers typically don't seem too interested in them.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 7:35 pm

Hello. Work sponsored assessment? Actually rare to find in the UK.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 8:31 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

v4169sgr
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2023, 3:01 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

Not that rare any more, and one reason to stay with my current employers. New in the past year or two. Before then was much more lip service and I felt I had to watch it.

v4169sgr
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2023, 3:04 am

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And I agree that a really late diagnosis (mine was at age 64) is more about understanding than it is about doing anything.

However, I've been trying to get some use out of these:
 □ "HEALTHCARE TOOLKIT: Patient Centered Care Tools for Autistic Adults"
 □ "How Autism Can Affect Healthcare"
However, my medical providers typically don't seem too interested in them.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

Thanks - I feel right at home already 8)

I think it depends on what your provider already does. As usual, trying to go outside of the tramlines is an uphill struggle. I am having support on an ongoing basis with some social situations I may come across. I'd really like to access occupational therapy to reduce the impact of my proprioceptive deficits - getting to be more of an issue as I get older, not unexpectedly.

Oh and trying to find tailored advice for the occasional life question just leaves me feeling isolated.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 1:51 pm

welcome! glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

v4169sgr
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2023, 4:51 pm

autisticelders wrote:
welcome! glad you are with us!

Thank you. I am glad you are here.

I've just finished reading your blog featured article "Hidden Autism" - very relatable, and one of very few that mentions proprioception. Keep writing! 8)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 4:59 pm

v4169sgr wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Not that rare any more, and one reason to stay with my current employers. New in the past year or two. Before then was much more lip service and I felt I had to watch it.

A few times I worked the company didn't officially know I was working for them.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 5:07 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 8:29 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)