Why do people gloat on social media?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 2:46 am

I today saw a tik tok title of 'woman gets bullied for not having kids' but I don't think that is what she got bullied for...I think it was more the gloaty attitude in the video she posted. LIke I am in my 30's and childfree with the plan being to never have kids cause I don't want them. But like its not my whole identidy, like this woman said she didn't have kids like 20 times in a 60 minute video. LIke after the first 30 seconds I was like alright we get it already you don't have kids cause she was just gloating about it. I don't want kids and don't have them, but I am not going to get on tik tok to gloat about it.....the choice to have children is just as valid as the choice not to.

But yeah gloating is gross, idk why that has to be a popular trend because it's always just hard to watch.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 2:58 am

These are some hobbies of NT that I observed early on but I don’t have.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 3:21 am

belijojo wrote:
These are some hobbies of NT that I observed early on but I don’t have.

Yeah I don't get it, like idk I think it's kinda gross to gloat about things, and seems a lot of tik tok s**t is based on gloating or being a general as*hole to get views or whatever and it's just stupid. Like I saw a video earlier titled 'woman gets cyber bullied for not having kids' when the more appropriate title would be 'stupid woman makes tik tok gloating about not having kids and no one likes it'

Don't get me wrong I think every woman or person who can get pregnant should be able to decide if they want to keep it or abort it...but that doesn't mean you have to go around gloating about not having kids, some people do want them and acting like that is an inferior choicea makes you just as bad as people trying to restrict abortion rights. LIke I don't want kids but my sister is hoping to have a kid with her husband and I wish them well on that goal. and she understands I don't want to have kids myself so I will not be providing a cousin for their kid to play with...but maybe I could at least be a cool aunt or something. But yeah I very much do not want kids of my own and neither does my boyfriend so we don't plan on it....lol besides my bf is getting enough white hairs in his red beard kids mistake him for santa claus we already had one kid in the grocery store ask him if he was santa....so idk I may soon have to play the part of miss santa so we can give little kids the magic of seeing santa shopping for groceries at the store. LIke we could get some santa hats or something to really sell it.

LIke you see I don't hate kids, I just don't think I could take care of them....cause its hard enough to take care of myself. But I don't mind creating a little bit of fun for kids...ikd maybe some would be thirlled to see santa and miss clause shopping for groceries. So I think the best bet is to play along a little bit.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 15 Dec 2023, 3:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 3:45 am

Yes, totally understand, just like some conservative old people said, tiktok ruined young people. In fact, it just exposed NT's inappropriate hobbies. The world is not as beautiful as imagined, and quite a few people have bad behaviors, regardless of the causes.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the nature of NT, it might be the fault of the environment, but I don't want to go into that depth.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 8:25 am

TikTok is essentially the rear end of the internet.

A smelly, unappealing mess.

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2023, 9:03 am

I didn't see the TikTok, but the thing is that some people say some toxic stuff to women who decide not to have kids, and maybe that's why she made the video. The thing that makes me mad that they say is that you can't know what real love is until you have a kid. If you've had that crap said to you a bunch of times, I can see why someone would make a video about that.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 10:41 pm

Mostly ego tripping.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 10:47 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why do people gloat on social media?
Because gloating in person could get me punched in the face.

Sure, I gloat.  Anything from a simple "Told you so" to a full re-iteration of all my claims and evidence, and all their denials and rebuttals. The vindication feels good, especially when I know that the person on the receiving end is likely feeling as much anger and hatred toward him- or her-self for being wrong as they feel toward me for being right.

It helps make up for all those years of being ignored and ridiculed by liars for knowing the facts they openly denied.

:twisted:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 11:44 pm

As Andy Warhol predicted, everyone will be famous for 15min
The guy was a prophet

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 12:12 am

That's the reason I don't go on social media too much anymore. I also don't understand gloating.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 12:24 am

Gandhi said it was a sign of violence, a sign of believing that a certain way must be right without understanding that everything is in motion

homurathought
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2023, 10:38 pm

TikvaBall wrote:
I didn't see the TikTok, but the thing is that some people say some toxic stuff to women who decide not to have kids, and maybe that's why she made the video. The thing that makes me mad that they say is that you can't know what real love is until you have a kid. If you've had that crap said to you a bunch of times, I can see why someone would make a video about that.

while i despise the nature by which some childfree women operate, mostly their open disdain for children which makes me unhappy, it makes sense that there's sort of a retaliative nature with the gloating. certain idiot men think women cannot be happy without children (complete nonsense) which probably just prompts a harsher response to ppl like that

i just wish the childfree types would act normal about it. cant stand people who talk about how much they hate kids. kids aren't for everyone obviously but that's not THEIR fault

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 5:57 pm

Ego, pride, validation, insecurity, and possibly because they’re small minded people with nothing much going for them in their lives in terms of work/goals etc so they feel a need to maximize feeling good about some thing or another when they don’t have anything else to simply move on being productive with. Something like that. Busy productive people don’t really waste time jerking themselves off on social media. They have anything better to do with their time.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 6:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Busy productive people don’t really waste time jerking themselves off on social media. They have anything better to do with their time.

I totally agree. There are way too many try-hards on social media.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 7:39 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Ego, pride, validation, insecurity, and possibly because they’re small minded people with nothing much going for them in their lives in terms of work/goals etc so they feel a need to maximize feeling good about some thing or another when they don’t have anything else to simply move on being productive with. . .
How about vindication?  It's a nice feeling to have people admit they were wrong and apologize for being mean.

So what if THEIR errors and attitudes are pointed out?  So what if THEY have to swallow THEIR pride?

Sucks to be them, I guess.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 7:53 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Busy productive people don’t really waste time jerking themselves off on social media. They have anything better to do with their time.

I totally agree. There are way too many try-hards on social media.

Yep. Way too many try-hards of all kinds, IMO, and for some of them the harder they try to sell the BS they're selling the more it makes them look stupid.

It's especially true for people posting lovey-dovey relationship stuff; Most of them have very rocky relationships and they're trying WAY too hard to sell it to themselves, their partner, and their friends/family that they have a good healthy loving relationship. Meanwhile anyone who knows them knows they fight like cats & dogs and have all kinds of issues. I have family members that make posts like these.. and it's like - okaaaay we know you're Trying to make things good with your partner, but it just comes across as trying too hard to show them and others that. etc.

Then there are the desperately insecure people posting selfies and poses all the time. "Oh look I got a new outfit or tried new makeup, look at me look at me!! !" Some 35-45 year old "child," trying to impress others with the cartwheel they just learned to do or whatever. It's cute when you're 6, it's desperate when you're 46. Grow up and be more normal about your posts -> Sure; include photos of yourself and your friends and your outings or whatever.. but accept that you're not 6 and we're not all going to clap for your "lopsided cartwheel," of a look at me look at me selfie.