Why do people gloat on social media?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 11:12 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
[
Then there are the desperately insecure people posting selfies and poses all the time. "Oh look I got a new outfit or tried new makeup, look at me look at me!! !" Some 35-45 year old "child," trying to impress others with the cartwheel they just learned to do or whatever. It's cute when you're 6, it's desperate when you're 46. Grow up and be more normal about your posts -> Sure; include photos of yourself and your friends and your outings or whatever.. but accept that you're not 6 and we're not all going to clap for your "lopsided cartwheel," of a look at me look at me selfie.

One of the most popular new courses at university is digital content creation. Short courses are completely booked out, everyone wants to know how to gloat on social media for clicks and $$

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 1:49 am

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
[
Then there are the desperately insecure people posting selfies and poses all the time. "Oh look I got a new outfit or tried new makeup, look at me look at me!! !" Some 35-45 year old "child," trying to impress others with the cartwheel they just learned to do or whatever. It's cute when you're 6, it's desperate when you're 46. Grow up and be more normal about your posts -> Sure; include photos of yourself and your friends and your outings or whatever.. but accept that you're not 6 and we're not all going to clap for your "lopsided cartwheel," of a look at me look at me selfie.

One of the most popular new courses at university is digital content creation. Short courses are completely booked out, everyone wants to know how to gloat on social media for clicks and $$

Marketing for business is different than personal social media stuff. Apples to oranges.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 1:52 am

cyberdad wrote:

You're not really suggesting that 'gloating' is the main reason for creating online content, are you?

The internet is full of educational and persuasive content, not to mention (as gf notes) corporate promotional content. Self-aggrandizing content only represents a small fraction of the total content available.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 6:04 am

Since you are not face to face with people there is less opportunity for consequences. If you are an as*hole online it is easy for them to just block you and harder for to find you then if you are face to face with them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2023, 7:14 am

Self-congratulation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2023, 7:54 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Marketing for business is different than personal social media stuff. Apples to oranges.

funeralxempire wrote:
You're not really suggesting that 'gloating' is the main reason for creating online content, are you?

The internet is full of educational and persuasive content, not to mention (as gf notes) corporate promotional content. Self-aggrandizing content only represents a small fraction of the total content available.

Taking a full digital content creation course (up to masters level) means you are setting up to have a suite of skills for digital marketing of businesses. That can be freelance or working for a corp who invests in an online presence.

But check out any content creator, they will also have their own dedicated page whether it be on any of the multiple social media platforms. For most this is a side hustle but for many it evolves into full-time income generator,

It never ceases to amaze me how some bloggers simply wake up in the morning talk to their audience in bed in their PJs in what looks like unrehearsed ramble and get paid 6 figure sums from the platform from subscribers or from advertising.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 2:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how some bloggers simply wake up in the morning talk to their audience in bed in their PJs in what looks like unrehearsed ramble and get paid 6 figure sums from the platform from subscribers or from advertising.

I think it's an extreme form of ability that autistic people don't have, so that we can’t distinguish the difference between this kind of video and daily life or other videos, and we don’t feel the blogger’s strengths.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 7:47 pm

Yes I don't think there are ,many autistic people who "gloat" on social media (true).

My daughter has a "frenemy" who is on the spectrum. He is a narcissist and wants to be a personal trainer. He has a youtube channel where he rants online. He's good looking but sounds like an idiot, He has about 20-30 views per video.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 8:08 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
TikTok is essentially the rear end of the internet.

A smelly, unappealing mess.

I tend to agree.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 8:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I tend to agree.

:salut:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 8:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

No there is pleanty of online content I like, I just don't like gloaty stuff...I know there are many other reasons to post content, like if I get a cat I may even post about my cat on instagram or something. But I am not going to get on somewhere to gloat about not having kids...like my sister and her husband want a kid and if they have one, I will be glad to meet them. I am not going to be like 'eww you have a kid, let me tell you about how great it is not to have one.'

Anyways just irritates me when people get online to gloat, but for sure I realize there is better content available on the internet I don't think it's all gloating.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 8:19 pm

Basement wrote:
Self-congratulation.
Of course.

It is preferable, however, to apologizing for being correct.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 8:20 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I tend to agree.

:salut:

Perhaps American tiktok, but maybe not all. I'm not on tiktok so don't see much from it besides a few forwards people send me to have a laugh at. Anyways, I recall seeing a video comparing Chinese use of tiktok to American use and the differences were stark. Chinese video clips were of achievements, challenges, successes, hard work and perseverance etc whereas the American video clips were basically nose picking and drinking battery acid of whatever dumb s**t people thought would go viral. HUGE differences in culture and internet culture.

So it might just be that American tiktok vids are a bunch of hot garbage, not that tiktok itself is the internet's anus.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 8:28 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Perhaps American tiktok, but maybe not all. I'm not on tiktok so don't see much from it besides a few forwards people send me to have a laugh at. Anyways, I recall seeing a video comparing Chinese use of tiktok to American use and the differences were stark. Chinese video clips were of achievements, challenges, successes, hard work and perseverance etc whereas the American video clips were basically nose picking and drinking battery acid of whatever dumb s**t people thought would go viral. HUGE differences in culture and internet culture.

nonono,bro.tictoc is just s**t whether in China or the United States。As the number of users increases, so does the amount of beautiful content.Commonly circulated low-threshold entertainment is its main content.It might get better after YouTube declines, but I'm not sure that will happen

Last edited by belijojo on 20 Dec 2023, 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 8:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Sweetleaf wrote:
No there is pleanty of online content I like, I just don't like gloaty stuff...I know there are many other reasons to post content, like if I get a cat I may even post about my cat on instagram or something. But I am not going to get on somewhere to gloat about not having kids...like my sister and her husband want a kid and if they have one, I will be glad to meet them. I am not going to be like 'eww you have a kid, let me tell you about how great it is not to have one.'

Anyways just irritates me when people get online to gloat, but for sure I realize there is better content available on the internet I don't think it's all gloating.

I wasn't accusing you of saying that or believing that, I was asking CD to clarify what he had said.

I agree with most of what you've said, especially that there's better content available.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 8:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Basement wrote:
Self-congratulation.
Of course.

It is preferable, however, to apologizing for being correct.

It's a bit of false dichotomy, one doesn't need to apologize for being correct or attempt to gloat about it.

They've moved to the finding out portion of the game, that usually does a more than adequate job of rubbing it in.

Being smug/gloating only confirms whatever negative personal judgments they might have made, making it far less likely the person will actually reflect on the experience, outside of having more contempt for someone they perceive as taking sadistic joy in their suffering.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う