Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JosetteJoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2023, 2:17 am

How common is it in people with autism to hyperfocus on the science of body language? I've been hyperfocusing on this subject for about a week or two.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 2:51 am

It is common for autistics to have hyperfocus on any given topic.

It is also common for the topic of that hyperfocus to change often.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 3:02 am

Fnord wrote:
It is common for autistics to have hyperfocus on any given topic.

It is also common for the topic of that hyperfocus to change often.

TRUE,And this topic is more relevant to autistics

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 5:47 am

we can hyperfocus on anything (anything! anything!!) if and when it grabs our attention.
Perfectly normal autistic trait.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 10:57 am

I think it's common for us people on the spectrum to hyperfocus on the things that mean the most to us. For me, it's Germany, television and music.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 5:35 pm

I had quite a strong interest in body language at one time, because I'd become aware that my ability to make and keep friends was precarious so I began to study what made people tick socially. But this was pre-Internet and there was a limit to what information I had access to.

I quite liked a couple of Desmond Morris books but didn't persevere that long because I couldn't easily take to his system of categorising all the different signals. Other people's ways of systematising information rarely float my boat because I tend to need my own homespun system of headings or my mind starts to balk at taking it all in. And I never got as far as developing one for body language.

Still, when I viewed it all as isolated instances of nonverbal signalling and stopped worrying about categories, I took some of it in. And I did feel that his idea of investigating the human race from the perspective of a zoologist was very productive, and I still feel he had a lot of useful insights. I don't know that any of it did my ability to make and keep friends much good though. I think most of my success, such as it was, came from empirical trial-and-error.