Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2023, 4:13 pm

Nowadays I cant focus on any task or work more than 5 minutes.

It really prevents me to do something.

What can I do? I dont want to take pills

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 4:34 pm

If that is the only symptom you have its not likely that it is ADHD. Stress, anxiety, poor sleep, depression, can all cause an inability to focus. Most people experience it at some point.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 11:06 pm

There are online screening tests you could take. Keep in mind, for a diagnosis of ADHD, your symptoms need to have been present since childhood.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 5:36 am

I also think I may have it, but one symptom is procrastination, maybe the drugs could help, but I keep procrastinating about getting aappointment to see about it. Idk maybe I am embarrassed because my parents should have taken teachers advice and realised xomething was off with me. BUt they just 'wanted me to be a kid' idk they maybe didn't realize I didn't care much for the bullying and wasn't ever happy as as a child..then again it was news to them when I attemted suicide at 15....I still don't see how they couoldn't have seen the pattern. IDK I didn't really want to know what explains their stupidity for that period of my life..like both of them very much did not understand that their child was really struggling...they thought it was all stuff I just should have gotten over. But if it was all so easy to get over, then why did I try to kill myself when I was 15...that tells me everything was not alright.

avdpeas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2024, 11:39 pm

I have some issues with processing what I read. Whenever I read something, I usually have to go over it again and again just to retain it. I also have to just "let" it permeate my mind via "osmosis". It's almost like I am slowly letting the information "sink into" my brain.

Perhaps it could get better with practice.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 5:43 pm

I actually thought I had ADHD before discovering I was autistic. ADHD symptoms actually are not unique to ADHD.... so you have to look at history, why the symptoms exist, etc. A lot of things can mimic ADHD without being ADHD.

And autism itself typically comes with some challenges with executive dysfunction, which is also a part of ADHD.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 7:54 pm

My ADHD symptoms is more like a trauma response of a neurodivergent child and her sensitivity (which I do not like having) to a clueless and helpless parent.

It sprung unwanted coping mechanisms, a series of developed crappy habits, and is definitely some undiagnosed and untreated systemic bodily health issue that seem to get worse with aging than something natural or hardwired.

And it's very inconsistent.
One moment I have it, then I don't.

The external environment, how interesting the topic is and situation is irrelevant -- only my inner state is.

I've contemplated the possibility of having ADHD for years (including other labels) -- in hopes of getting a solution to a still unnamed problem -- but I don't have any of that in childhood, external changes are not the triggers, and a lot of things that just doesn't simply resonate.

And it's just executive dysfunction for a 'reaction'. I've yet to figure how to prevent the unwanted 'reaction'.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.