Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Hilarysaurusrex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2023, 12:40 pm

Hi! I'm new to the wrong planet. Well not really because I've been telling everyone I'm from Pluto since 5th grade and no one has ever doubted me lol.

I got diagnosed last year at 37 and it kinda broke my brain. I ended up going out on medical leave and getting fired. I haven't been able to find a job since.

My marriage also fell apart the same year so now I'm divorced and living with my mom. Man, it's been quite a ride since I got diagnosed.

It was really affirming to know that I really am different. But also disappointing that no one ever helped me. Try as they might, they never managed to beat the weird out of me and I'm proud of that!

Anyone else here super into spirituality? I'm a practicing pagan eclectic witch.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 1:52 pm

Ahoy-hoy.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 2:37 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope it is as good as Pluto for you.

I'm sorry to hear the diagnosis caused you so much disruption. For me, I can only think of (1) a change I wish it had made but, so far, it hasn't, and (2) a change it did make but my bride wishes it hadn't.

(1) I'm old enough that I see medical practitioners more often than I wish. Years ago I realized I needed stuff in writing from them because I wouldn't remember it...but even when I asked I seldom got what I needed in understandable and useful written form. After I got my Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis I found this stuff on the Internet:
 ► Academic Autistic Spectrum Partnership In Research and Education (AASPIRE)
 ► AASPIRE Healthcare Toolkit
 ► "How Autism Can Affect Healthcare"
I now try to share this information with my medical practitioners. It seldom helps, however. I still seldom get what I need in understandable and useful written form. Most of them seem uninterested.

(2) Whenever my bride bumps up against one of my Autism traits she gets to hear me say:
I have a doctor's note for that! :-D This seems to amuse me more than it amuses her.

It appears you have something in common with many of us who were diagnosed as an adult. The diagnosis explained so much!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 4:45 pm

glad you are with us, welcome! Its a lot to sort, but such a relief to finally understand so many "whys" of the past. You are not alone here!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 6:19 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 6:48 pm

Were things happening that lead you up to being diagnosed? What I mean by this is when you ended up losing your job and your marriage fell apart, was it because you were diagnosed, or did something else change leading up to those events? Essentially one is the same person anyway diagnosed or not, though with the diagnosis, one is obviously going to be learning more about oneself as one goes along as one has the diagnosis as a reference point that one did not have before.

But essentially one is just the same person one ever was, because some assume one is a different person to how one was before. One isn't. One just knows more about oneself and is able to explain more about oneself. Is like updating something that was socially trapped inside. Trapped by the outside trying to get one to comply by their social rules, and now one can say "No! This is how I am! These are MY rules!" (If that makes sense? Obviously we still need I comply to the rules our government makes as if we don't, (Apart from ending up in trouble) our government eventually collapses and nothing works. I am talking about socially acceptable un-written rules).

Hilarysaurusrex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2023, 12:33 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Were things happening that lead you up to being diagnosed? What I mean by this is when you ended up losing your job and your marriage fell apart, was it because you were diagnosed, or did something else change leading up to those events? Essentially one is the same person anyway diagnosed or not, though with the diagnosis, one is obviously going to be learning more about oneself as one goes along as one has the diagnosis as a reference point that one did not have before.

But essentially one is just the same person one ever was, because some assume one is a different person to how one was before. One isn't. One just knows more about oneself and is able to explain more about oneself. Is like updating something that was socially trapped inside. Trapped by the outside trying to get one to comply by their social rules, and now one can say "No! This is how I am! These are MY rules!" (If that makes sense? Obviously we still need I comply to the rules our government makes as if we don't, (Apart from ending up in trouble) our government eventually collapses and nothing works. I am talking about socially acceptable un-written rules).

A lot was happening before then. I had become obsessed with self improvement and understanding myself. I did psychedelic drugs and shadow work in order to deepen my understanding of myself. That was what led to getting my diagnosis.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Dec 2023, 12:42 pm

Welcome! I can relate to a lot of what you're struggling with, I'm sorry you're having to deal with that.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 2:57 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 9:24 am

:D