Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Dec 2023, 9:18 pm

I am on 80 mg of prozac as well as 100 mg of neurontin 3x day. In addition I usually drink one cup of coffee and one or 2 energy drinks; can that cause seretonin syndrome and reverse the effects of my medication and not make my medication work? And make my anxiety worse?

Handa Rei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2023, 12:13 am

I've heard that prozac can increase one's sensitivity to caffeine, so maybe it's possible that as a result the caffeine is causing more anxiety than the other drugs can suppress.

As for serotonin syndrome, I'm not sure how much of a risk that is with the combination of prozac and neurontin. However caffeine + prozac (or other SSRIs) can cause serotonin syndrome if you're ingesting a lot of it (though I have no idea how much "a lot" is). I would talk to a doctor or two about the risk of these interactions if I were you.

Definitely avoid alcohol, tramadol and pretty much all hard drugs when taking prozac and/or neurontin.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Dec 2023, 7:23 pm

Me & my girlfriend both take 400mg of Neurontin 3x a day for OCD & are both on antidepressants, Buspar, & other psych meds & we drink a bit of caffeine & we're not experiencing serotonin syndrome. Different people can respond very differently to meds thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Dec 2023, 11:11 pm

Wow. I didn't know neurontin was used for OCD. I take it for arthritis-related neuropathy. 300mg 3 x per day
I also take an antidepressant (venaflaxine), but not for depression. I have narcolepsy, and my sleep paralysis is atypical in that my muscles go rigid rather than just not being able to move, which prevents me from breathing till the paralysis episode is over. The venaflaxine prevents the sleep paralysis by suppressing REM sleep completely.

I have not had serotonin syndrome symptoms

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 1:42 am

Seems like I react weird to a lot of medications psych meds, I don't have any physical conditions that need medication, seems the only psych med so far I can handle without getting weird effects is valium for anxiety it just relaxes me and that's it. But every other one I have tried has too many negative side effects before I can even take it long enough to start working.

That said I ran out of prescriptions on the valium with like covid and then moving away, but Valarian root tincture is almost just as good as the valium for chilling me out a bit if I am anxious, and marijuana still helps me with anxiety and depression and ptsd without having other ill effects....so for me I just stick to valerian root and weed.

And yeah many times I just take a hit or two to relax, I like to smoke a little before I go to work, not enough to get all stoned but just so I feel at peace in the morning as I am not a morning person but you have to get up early for most jobs so yeah I need something to chill my morning so I can get to work in an ok mood.