Evidence of Israel's genocidal intentions toward Gaza?

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 8:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Which Israeli parties have condemned Israel's campaign of violence so far?

I'm not familiar with all of Israel's political parties, so I can't answer that question. But I do know of at least one fairly large Israeli organization (albeit not a political party), Peace Now, which has condemned it on their website:

Quote:
Furthermore, in Gaza, the death toll is already reaching in the high thousands, with hundreds of thousands who fled their homes, and the entire population lacking basic humanitarian needs. Even in such hard times for the Israeli society, and even when the military objections to destroying Hamas’ military and political arms are justified, Israel must comply with its obligation to avoid harming innocent civilians. Human rights and international law are not mere recommendations to be applied in times of peace and prosperity but are critical to be maintained at harsh times like now. Any military operation must consider its limits and boundaries set by international humanitarian law

Unfortunately, Peace Now has not been very successful, at all, in its primary aim, which is to stop Israeli settlement activity in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 8:50 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I agree with Jono, the spike in pro-war Israelis is because they are polled after 10-7. The same reaction would occur if you polled New Yorkers straight after 9-11 as everyone in NY knew of somebody who was affected by the terror attack.

The truth is Israelis want to be left alone and not have to worry about their kids getting "jumped" by HAMAS on their way to school. or having their homes subject to shelling. I think when this all dies down people will want to make amends and seek peace. In some ways they have no choice.

But how long do you think we should have to wait until "this all dies down"?

At the rate the slaughter is now going, almost all the people of Gaza will have been killed off, and the entirety of Gaza will have been reduced to rubble, before "this all dies down" on the Israeli side -- unless the U.S. government pulls the plug on supplying Israel with bombs.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 9:00 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
At the rate the slaughter is now going, almost all the people of Gaza will have been killed off, and the entirety of Gaza will have been reduced to rubble, before "this all dies down" on the Israeli side -- unless the U.S. government pulls the plug on supplying Israel with bombs.

Yes this was the trap HAMAS set. They knew the IDF would go all guns blazing to find the hostages. I think based on published reports, HAMAS has been firmly neutralized (at least in the north of Gaza). I agree the Israeli government should listen to international voices. They need to stop hurting innocent civilians and putting their own young people drafted into the IDF at risk. Damage has been done on both sides. Time for a prisoner/hostage swap.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 3:18 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Which Israeli parties have condemned Israel's campaign of violence so far?

I'm not familiar with all of Israel's political parties, so I can't answer that question. But I do know of at least one fairly large Israeli organization (albeit not a political party), Peace Now, which has condemned it on their website:

Quote:
Furthermore, in Gaza, the death toll is already reaching in the high thousands, with hundreds of thousands who fled their homes, and the entire population lacking basic humanitarian needs. Even in such hard times for the Israeli society, and even when the military objections to destroying Hamas’ military and political arms are justified, Israel must comply with its obligation to avoid harming innocent civilians. Human rights and international law are not mere recommendations to be applied in times of peace and prosperity but are critical to be maintained at harsh times like now. Any military operation must consider its limits and boundaries set by international humanitarian law

Unfortunately, Peace Now has not been very successful, at all, in its primary aim, which is to stop Israeli settlement activity in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

I specifically ask about political parties because they're the only entities that might actually come to control the Israeli state. I'm aware that other organizations might be pro-peace.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 3:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
All the apples are bad, the whole f*****g barrel.

really? "all"

Enough of them to say the bad apples form a consensus.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 3:32 am

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
All the apples are bad, the whole f*****g barrel.

really? "all"

Enough of them to say the bad apples form a consensus.

You mean like Iowa republicans?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 6:11 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Jono wrote:
I think that they believe that an unconditional ceasefire would be bad because it might allow Hamas to regroup and regain power.

Well, tough. It is largely Netanyahu's fault that Hamas got into power in the first place.

We need the U.S.A. to get serious about pressuring Israel into a real -- and humane -- longterm solution to the Israel/Palestine problem, instead of continuing to allow Israel to commit genocide, as it is now very much in process of doing.

Okay, so because Netanyahu was "responsible" for Hamas being in power, its therefore fine that Hamas remains in power and repeats the same kind of atrocities as it did on 7 October over and over again in the future? As far as I'm concerned, Netanyahu's policies propping up Hamas and Israel's past policies toward it is irrelevant in this context.

The definition of genocide requires the planned destruction of a people group. If Israel really wanted to commit genocide, they could have decided not to ask people to evacuate and simply carpet bombed entire Gaza strip with 100 times more civilian casualties that what there is, and done it much faster. Israel may be guilty of other war crimes, such as disproportionate bombing and collective punishment but it may not necessarily be genocide. There has been a UN resolution passed on Friday that does call for more delivery of aid into Gaza and I hope it's implementation does help in avoiding a crisis, including a possible famine. I don't want to see more Gazan's die and suffer any more than you do, actually.

As for rhetoric of some individuals in the Israeli government, obviously it doesn't help much. As an atheist, I have personally criticised that particular story of the Amalek and King Saul in the Bible myself as possibly justifying genocide. However, the recitation of that particular Bible verse "remember The Amalek and what they did to you" has itself not historically been interpreted as a call to genocide. Jewish people have often used Amalek to refer to enemies of the Jews, for example, they also called nazis Amalek at one point. But if you want to talk about scriptural verses, there's actually an Islamic Hadith verse referenced in Hamas' original charter that calls for the genocide of all Jews:

Quote:
The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him; but the tree Gharqad would not say, for it is the tree of the Jews.

https://sunnah.com/muslim:2922

Oh, and by the way, Hamas actually does appear to have genocidal intent, even if they aren't able to carry it out. They've called for the killing of all Jews, not just Israelis or "zionists" on multiple occasions.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 11:19 am

Jono wrote:
Okay, so because Netanyahu was "responsible" for Hamas being in power, its therefore fine that Hamas remains in power and repeats the same kind of atrocities as it did on 7 October over and over again in the future?

No, but surely the IDF will be much better prepared next time Hamas tries to do anything remotely like it? The October 7 attack could have been largely prevented, or at least contained a lot sooner, had various intelligence reports been taken more seriously.

Jono wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, Netanyahu's policies propping up Hamas and Israel's past policies toward it is irrelevant in this context.

My point is that Israel should try to find better ways to protect its own citizens' lives than by slaughtering Gazan civilians and razing the homes of many more Gazans, as punishment for Hamas taking advantage of Israel's own mistakes.

Other countries have managed to eliminate terrorists without doing anything remotely near the level of killing and destruction that Israel has been doing in Gaza.

Jono wrote:
The definition of genocide requires the planned destruction of a people group. If Israel really wanted to commit genocide, they could have decided not to ask people to evacuate and simply carpet bombed entire Gaza strip with 100 times more civilian casualties that what there is, and done it much faster. Israel may be guilty of other war crimes, such as disproportionate bombing and collective punishment but it may not necessarily be genocide.

Perhaps the evacuation order (for northern Gaza) might provide legal cover for a charge of genocide. However:

(1) Israel has done some bombing of even the supposedly "safe" places.

(2) Israel has used the evacuation orders as an excuse to give itself carte blanche to destroy or damage more than 50% of housing units in Gaza, as well as hospitals, etc.

(3) The supposedly "safe" area has gotten smaller and smaller and smaller, causing vast overcrowding.

See this BBC report, December 21.

Supposedly the excuse for all this destruction is that Israel is afraid to send its soldiers into Hamas's tunnels, out of fear of possible booby traps. But surely there are better ways to handle this issue? Like maybe sending some remote-controlled vehicles into the tunnels, ahead of the soldiers?

Jono wrote:
There has been a UN resolution passed on Friday that does call for more delivery of aid into Gaza and I hope it's implementation does help in avoiding a crisis, including a possible famine. I don't want to see more Gazan's die and suffer any more than you do, actually.

As for rhetoric of some individuals in the Israeli government, obviously it doesn't help much. As an atheist, I have personally criticised that particular story of the Amalek and King Saul in the Bible myself as possibly justifying genocide. However, the recitation of that particular Bible verse "remember The Amalek and what they did to you" has itself not historically been interpreted as a call to genocide.

Face_of_Boo has posted some videos showing extremist rabbis using Amalek rhetoric to call, unambiguously, for the killing of all Palestinians including children.

Hopefully only a small minority of Israelis would agree with these extremists. But Netanyahu did say, yesterday, “We are expanding the fight in the coming days and this will be a long battle.” (See this Guardian news story, December 25, 2023.

"Expanding the fight" to do what? Reduce the entirety of Gaza to rubble?

Jono wrote:
Jewish people have often used Amalek to refer to enemies of the Jews, for example, they also called nazis Amalek at one point.

The Nazis (or at least the SS types who were actively involved in the Holocaust, though not the German people as a whole) arguably deserved it.

Jono wrote:
But if you want to talk about scriptural verses, there's actually an Islamic Hadith verse referenced in Hamas' original charter that calls for the genocide of all Jews:

Quote:
The last hour would not come unless the Muslims will fight against the Jews and the Muslims would kill them until the Jews would hide themselves behind a stone or a tree and a stone or a tree would say: Muslim, or the servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me; come and kill him; but the tree Gharqad would not say, for it is the tree of the Jews.

https://sunnah.com/muslim:2922

That's a Hadith, not the Quran. Islamic scholars have debated endlessly over which Hadiths should be considered reliable at all, in the first place, and how much weight should be given to any given Hadith.

Jono wrote:
Oh, and by the way, Hamas actually does appear to have genocidal intent, even if they aren't able to carry it out. They've called for the killing of all Jews, not just Israelis or "zionists" on multiple occasions.

Hamas's rhetoric has toned down quite a bit over the years. Their 1988 charter did indeed contain quite a bit of genocidal rhetoric, but their 2017 revised charter does not. Of course, one can debate the extent to which that's a real change in aims vs. just a cosmetic change.

But, in any case, Hamas clearly does not have the power to eradicate Israel, and would not have had the ability even to do what they did on 10/7 had the IDF been more on the ball.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2023, 12:24 pm

Jono wrote:
The definition of genocide requires the planned destruction of a people group. If Israel really wanted to commit genocide, they could have decided not to ask people to evacuate and simply carpet bombed entire Gaza strip with 100 times more civilian casualties that what there is, and done it much faster. Israel may be guilty of other war crimes, such as disproportionate bombing and collective punishment but it may not necessarily be genocide.

I am no expert on the definition of genocide but Raz Segal, the program director of genocide studies at Stockton University, concretely says it is a “textbook case of genocide.” Segal believes that Israeli forces are completing three genocidal acts, including, “killing, causing serious bodily harm, and measures calculated to bring about the destruction of the group.” He points to the mass levels of destruction and total siege of basic necessities—like water, food, fuel, and medical supplies—as evidence.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 3:02 pm

BillyTree wrote:
Jono wrote:

I am no expert on the definition of genocide but Raz Segal, the program director of genocide studies at Stockton University, concretely says it is a “textbook case of genocide.” Segal believes that Israeli forces are completing three genocidal acts, including, “killing, causing serious bodily harm, and measures calculated to bring about the destruction of the group.” He points to the mass levels of destruction and total siege of basic necessities—like water, food, fuel, and medical supplies—as evidence.

Quote:
WASHINGTON —
The United Nations on Tuesday announced the appointment of a coordinator to oversee humanitarian relief shipments into Gaza as part of a U.N. Security Council resolution adopted on Friday to boost humanitarian aid.

Sigrid Kaag of the Netherlands will be the senior humanitarian and reconstruction coordinator for Gaza and will start the role on Jan. 8, the U.N. said in a statement.

"In this role she will facilitate, coordinate, monitor and verify humanitarian relief consignments for Gaza," said the U.N. She will also establish a "mechanism" to accelerate aid into Gaza through countries not involved with the conflict.

https://www.voanews.com/a/un-appoints-gaza-humanitarian-relief-coordinator-following-aid-vote/7413360.html

I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks. If Israel does anything to obstruct this effort, then we'll know for sure that there's genocide.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 3:13 pm

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2023, 3:55 pm

Why would they ever hide their intentions? As far as they (the zionists, and evangelicals etc.) are concerned, they have nothing to hide; they're the moral majority and God is on their side. That's their angle. That's always their angle.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 2:46 am

Here, in another thread:

funeralxempire wrote:

@6:36: 83% of Israeli Jews support the forced removal of the Palestinian population from Gaza, 68% are very supportive, 15% are quite supportive, 8% not so supportive and 9% opposed.

https://www.jewishpress.com/news/eye-on ... 023/12/24/

Voluntary emigration is a euphemism for forced displacement.

The video is Netanyahu LETS SLIP Israel's Real Plan by Owen Jones, on YouTube.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 3:59 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
Why would they ever hide their intentions? As far as they (the zionists, and evangelicals etc.) are concerned, they have nothing to hide; they're the moral majority and God is on their side. That's their angle. That's always their angle.

However, not every American voter agrees. Therefore, they aim to sugarcoat it enough so that genocidal Zionists don't get voted out of office simply for being genocidal Zionists. Without the sugar coating, even more Americans would be demanding that our government stop supplying arms to Israel ASAP.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 4:15 pm

Jono wrote:
I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks. If Israel does anything to obstruct this effort, then we'll know for sure that there's genocide.

"A couple of weeks" is a long time for someone who already doesn't have enough food or water, or who has been forced to live in ultra-crowded, unsanitary conditions conducive to contagious diseases.

And Israel has already been blocking humanitarian aid to Gaza. See Israel: Starvation Used as Weapon of War in Gaza, Human Rights Watch, December 18, 2023:

Quote:
The Israeli government is using starvation of civilians as a method of warfare in the occupied Gaza Strip, which is a war crime, Human Rights Watch said today. Israeli forces are deliberately blocking the delivery of water, food, and fuel, while willfully impeding humanitarian assistance, apparently razing agricultural areas, and depriving the civilian population of objects indispensable to their survival.

Since Hamas-led fighters attacked Israel on October 7, 2023, high-ranking Israeli officials, including Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, and Energy Minister Israel Katz have made public statements expressing their aim to deprive civilians in Gaza of food, water and fuel – statements reflecting a policy being carried out by Israeli forces. Other Israeli officials have publicly stated that humanitarian aid to Gaza would be conditioned either on the release of hostages unlawfully held by Hamas or Hamas’ destruction.

“For over two months, Israel has been depriving Gaza's population of food and water, a policy spurred on or endorsed by high-ranking Israeli officials and reflecting an intent to starve civilians as a method of warfare,” said Omar Shakir, Israel and Palestine director at Human Rights Watch. “World leaders should be speaking out against this abhorrent war crime, which has devastating effects on Gaza’s population.”

Admittedly, Israel isn't blocking 100% of all aid. They let just enough through so that Israel-friendly Western journalists can claim they aren't blocking it.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 27 Dec 2023, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 5:21 pm