Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 4:16 pm

I turn 35 next september,

Because I have autism can I only expect to live to 39 years old?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 4:22 pm

Huh?

Why would you only live to be 39? :?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 4:23 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Huh?

Because many studies say autistic people on average die at that age

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 4:44 pm

Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Huh?

I think you might need a refresher on how averages work.

An average is calculated by taking a sample of data points, adding them together and dividing by the number of data points.

For example: If our data points are 11, 8, 13, 2, 4, 1 we get an average of 6.5.

Life expectancy statistics are calculated in the same way. If part of a population dies young, it drives the average down. In populations where a lot of people die young, the average can trend down significantly.

For autistics early childhood accidents, misadventure, suicide and congenial health issues all contribute to us having a lower than average life expectancy. This doesn't mean all of us will die prematurely, only that enough of us do that it skews the average.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 4:57 pm

^ What FXE said.

If you have managed to get to adulthood and don't have any serious issues already such as heart disease or cancer, you can probably expect to live until at least 65, I reckon. And even that figure is younger than the average lifespan for a male in some areas, which can be up to about 81 or so.

It depends on what part of the country you live in and your socioeconomic circumstances. Poorer people tend to die earlier - that is probably one of the contributing factors to autistic people generally dying early, since autistic people are often frozen out of the mainstream economy and suffer economically as a result.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 5:36 pm

Yes. "The average American" has one testicle and one ovary. :D

rocksteady85
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2023, 5:39 pm

Jamesy wrote:

My therapist has pointed out to me that all the statistics about adults with autism are old. Prior to the last decade or so, medicine did not recognize autism in people who had lower support needs, and they didn't recognize it in women or people AFAB almost AT ALL. There are a ton of us existing in the world and flying under the radar. It takes time for the statistics and studies to catch up with current knowledge.

Just because at one point in time the autistic people they were aware of were more likely to be unemployed, die early, and be without spouses or partners, does not mean that is how all autistic people exist. We are literally shaping the statistics right now.

Sometimes I get hung up on those statistics. They feel really bleak. But then I remember the conversation with my therapist, and I remember that it takes years to gather the data, compile it and get it out into the world.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2023, 7:22 pm

If I remember correctly it's not Autism in itself that is the cause of an average shorter life expectancy. It's the living conditions like a higher probability to be unemployed,being less physically active, eating and drug habits etc. The 7 times higher suicide rate also affects the statistics. If you have a healthy life style as an Autistic you can get as old as anybody else.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 8:59 pm

Just look at the folk here on WP. A lot of us are older than 39.

Um...I think I might have a pair of combat boots older than that.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 9:23 pm

Jamesy wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Huh?

Not to be crass, but simply not murdering yourself will on its own just about guarantee that you make it to more than 39. The main reasons why the life expectancy is so low have to do with self-murdering, poor diet, lack of appropriate medical care and stress. The first one is the one that lops the decades off the average. But, stress is also a big one.
Double Retired wrote:
Just look at the folk here on WP. A lot of us are older than 39.

Um...I think I might have a pair of combat boots older than that.

A decent chunk of us didn't even have a diagnosis at 39. I'm hoping to finally get mine this coming year and I'm currently 43, which makes me at least 40 years overdue for diagnosis.

Averages are something that you have to be kind of mindful of in this sort of context. They're not bad when analyzing policies at a community level, but trying to use that to figure out how long any particular person has is fraught with peril.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2024, 12:04 pm

Jamesy wrote:

You have way more control over your life expectancy than you think. Yes, the average for Level 3 is 39, and for Level 1 is 58.

But that's because autistic people take worse care of their bodies, overall, when compared to NTs.

Though the short lifespan can also be attributed to lack of medical coverage due to unemployment, as well as inability to transport to a doctor and/or fear of being examined, let's face it: The three biggest causes of death from modifiable risk factors are 1) SMOKING, 2) OBESITY and 3) SEDENTARY LIFESTYLE/NO EXERCISE.

I see autistic men in their 20s with bodies like Homer Simpson. Many are Level 1.

If you eat healthy, avoid smoking, avoid drinking or at least drink only occasionally, and do cardio and strength training, watch sodium intake, EVEN IF YOU ARE UNEMPLOYED AND HAVE NO MEDICAL COVERAGE, these healthy lifestyle choices will go a LONG WAY at keeping you healthy and fit for a very, very long time, lengthening your lifespan.

Planet Fitness is only $10 a month: the price of a sugary soda and large bag of unhealthy cheetos from Kum & Go. Exercise can also be done AT HOME using your OWN BODY (e.g., squats, lunges, pushups, jumping jacks, using any steps or staircase in your home). However, a set of tension bands (for strength training) from Amazon costs under $20. A few pairs of dumbbells cost the same as a movie and a few visits to McDonald's. Google price comparisons for "junk/fast food" vs. healthy food" and you'll see that, for the same price, you can actually get A LOT MORE healthy food!! !! !

Bottom line: Autism and unemployment are NO excuse for taking crappy care of your body.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 12:11 pm

Elgee wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

You have way more control over your life expectancy than you think. Yes, the average for Level 3 is 39, and for Level 1 is 58.

But that's because autistic people take worse care of their bodies, overall, when compared to NTs.

Though the short lifespan can also be attributed to lack of medical coverage due to unemployment, as well as inability to transport to a doctor and/or fear of being examined, let's face it: The three biggest causes of death from modifiable risk factors are 1) SMOKING, 2) OBESITY and 3) SEDENTARY LIFESTYLE/NO EXERCISE.

I see autistic men in their 20s with bodies like Homer Simpson. Many are Level 1.

If you eat healthy, avoid smoking, avoid drinking or at least drink only occasionally, and do cardio and strength training, watch sodium intake, EVEN IF YOU ARE UNEMPLOYED AND HAVE NO MEDICAL COVERAGE, these healthy lifestyle choices will go a LONG WAY at keeping you healthy and fit for a very, very long time, lengthening your lifespan.

Planet Fitness is only $10 a month: the price of a sugary soda and large bag of unhealthy cheetos from Kum & Go. Exercise can also be done AT HOME using your OWN BODY (e.g., squats, lunges, pushups, jumping jacks, using any steps or staircase in your home). However, a set of tension bands (for strength training) from Amazon costs under $20. A few pairs of dumbbells cost the same as a movie and a few visits to McDonald's. Google price comparisons for "junk/fast food" vs. healthy food" and you'll see that, for the same price, you can actually get A LOT MORE healthy food!! ! ! !

Bottom line: Autism and unemployment are NO excuse for taking crappy care of your body.

The Homer Simpson comparison was amusing.

But your advice is good.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 12:14 pm

There are many people on WP who are long past the age of 39, and I should know.

Apparently I'm going to die prematurely just because I'm left-handed. :roll:

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 12:56 pm

I consider being left-handed a high risk to my longevity than ASD. If I have my way, I'll live to be 100+. There are lots of elderly folks who were not diagnosed who aren't in the statistics. My ASD grandmother (not diagnosed) lived to her 90s. My ASD mother (not diagnosed) is nearing 80. My MIL (not diagnosed) is mostly likely ASD and is 85. However, my ND cousin only made it to 29: suicide lowers the average :| which is a serious risk for my ND family members. I myself wasn't sure I'd make it to 35, but by the time I hit 40 life was good - and it's getting better every year, so now I'm going for it. It would help if I brushed my teeth more, but in the meantime I eat right and have started exercising again.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 1:21 pm

I had well-paying jobs and currently get most of my medical care at a highly-regarded hospital.

I'm currently 69 and death certainly does not look imminent.

But, I'm right-handed! I wonder how much being left-handed would've shortened my lifespan. Power tools and dangerous equipment are designed for right-handed people so I can see where accidents could be a problem for lefties.

But, is there a cure for left-handedness? Would lefties want the cure?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 3:16 pm

Elgee wrote:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う