I am thinking about getting cats.

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

David1346
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2024, 2:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I just don't understand why people who want cats turn down the idea of a black cat, LIke idk black cats can be a bit territorial and such but they are also very snuggly sometimes. My black cat I had growing up always woud sleep at the foot of my bed and comforted me if I had bad dreams.

I have a black cat named Buki. He is one of four cats who live with me. I got him from a no-kill shelter. He was born in the shelter. At the time I got him, he was six years old. His mother and all of his siblings had long since been adopted. Nearly 40% of the cats that were available for adoption at this shelter were black. Some of them had been them were senior cats who had been there for 12+ years. The shelter had withdrawn these senior cats from adoption given their age and how challenging it might have been to rehome them.

Although I had gone to this shelter thinking to adopt an orange cat, the shelter manager talked me into taking a black cat. She said that she thought black cats were neglected for two reasons. One was related to superstition. The other is that black cats are challenging to photograph. Unless you catch them in just the right light and at just the right angle, you often don't get facial features. You just get a black cat-shaped shadow.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 4:07 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Very true. ^

They're expensive, even just for general vaccinations and a decent diet.
Three rounds of vaccines alone were about $800 each.

Don't forget they're a 20 year commitment, too.

I figure my two kittens will be my last ever since I'll be in my 70s when they die.
Knock wood.

That's a good reason to adopt an adult cat. You don't have the same start up costs, and a shorter life, but they may have other issues.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 4:08 pm

Black dogs also wind up unwanted in shelters.
If I was to get a kitty it would be a black one.I have a black lab and she is beautiful.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 6:14 pm

David1346 wrote:

The other is that black cats are challenging to photograph. Unless you catch them in just the right light and at just the right angle, you often don't get facial features. You just get a black cat-shaped shadow.

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of it as a common problem, or a reason not to get a black cat, but I do have a hard time photographing mine. Her eyebrows always look weirdly sparse which they aren't in real life, and it's hard to get the contours of her face. She's amazing though. I love black cats. Mine is three years old and I got three other cats after her, but I didn't get another pure black because I thought she'd feel replaced lol.

I get online updates of available cats and kittens from my local cat rescue, and they had one adult female black cat who couldn't find a home for several months. It was breaking my heart. I wanted her but she was older than mine, and I didn't think that would work in terms of the cat hierarchy. I'm not sure what happened to her. :( The black kittens seem to get a lot of attention though, with comments from people saying they love black cats. I'm always glad to see that.

I should point out for Sweetleaf that if you get a rescue kitty they're almost always fixed and vaccinated before you can take them home. It's a lot cheaper than getting a "free" kitty from someone and paying all those fees on your own. Unfortunately the rescue where I am is ridiculously demanding, and they require about 20 pages of financial documentation and references to prove you can afford the cat, or what will happen to it in the event that you die. It's outrageous. They would never pick me even though I'm home all day and an autistic (obsessive) cat care provider. I don't make enough money on disability so they always turn me down. My mother tried for one but she's on pension and they don't think she'll live long enough to take care of it for 20 years, which is true because she has cancer and she's 85. lol -- We did try, though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 5:59 pm

https://youtube.com/shorts/VhZBxBzkT7g? ... 0rWKfZKf1a

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 4:37 pm

Anybody remember the 1970s-era 'Morris the Cat' commercials?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K6A6vBAyKk

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 7:13 pm

An old DSLR like the Nikon D70 with free software to process RAW files can produce good images that are difficult to impossible to take with cameras that don't allow post processing of the image files. Nikon's current software works with the latest versions of Windows.

I had two cats but they had Feline Immune Virus and passed away a couple years ago. They often have shorter lifespans due to the virus.