People shooting guns up in the air to celebrate. Dumb

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jan 2024, 5:15 pm

It would make more sense & seems a lot safer to me if people would plan to celebrate by shooting their guns for target practice like aiming at beer cans/bottles or an old half dead tree. The only guns I ever fired or BB & pellet guns & even I know firimg guns in the air is unsafe & a waste of bullets.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 5:22 pm

nick007 wrote:
It would make more sense & seems a lot safer to me if people would plan to celebrate by shooting their guns for target practice like aiming at beer cans/bottles or an old half dead tree. The only guns I ever fired or BB & pellet guns & even I know firimg guns in the air is unsafe & a waste of bullets.

In an urban environment in the streets you cant do that. But you could "think ahead" and load your gun with blanks. That way getting the loud fire cracker sound without the falling bullets.

Out in the country where there is space you could stage a target shoot as a "celebration". In fact country singer Hank Williams Jr. has vids of himself firing a colonial Williamsburg type muzzle loading cannon at a kegger he threw on his farm. :D

yurguardianangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2024, 6:25 pm

How is that different is it than fireworks going off? Both fireworks and bullets are extremely dangerous if they hit anyone.

I guess fireworks go up higher in the air,otherwise both guns and fireworks can seriously injure or kill.

Last edited by yurguardianangel on 09 Jan 2024, 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 6:26 pm

yurguardianangel wrote:
How is that different is it than fireworks going off? Both are extremely dangerous.

I guess fireworks go up higher in the air,otherwise both can seriously injure or kill.

Fireworks don't tend to leave hot metal bits plummeting back to earth.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2024, 6:37 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
yurguardianangel wrote:
How is that different is it than fireworks going off? Both are extremely dangerous.

I guess fireworks go up higher in the air,otherwise both can seriously injure or kill.

Fireworks don't tend to leave hot metal bits plummeting back to earth.
Fireworks can start fires thou. Fireworks are suspected of starting a marsh fire in Slidell Louisiana last week. Just what the environment needs, more wildfires :roll:

When my dad was in school a classmate of his lost a finger making a bomb out of Fireworks :skull:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 09 Jan 2024, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 6:40 pm

falling embers from commercial fireworks can and do cause injuries every year.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 6:50 pm

Professionals stage fire works displays for a surrounding public that watches at a horizontal distance from the display (usually not right under the display). So the debris falls back down on the professional launchers themselves, but not on the public.

You get more bang for your danger buck (the public watches pyrotechnics with fireworks, with a gun you just get a single BANG! sound- no pretty light displays).

Fireworks explode...and you might get shreds of paper bits falling.

With a gun you get a solid bullet going straight up into the air, and then falling straight back down, and hitting the ground (or the top of your head) at a large fraction of the original muzzle velocity.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 6:51 pm

auntblabby wrote:
falling embers from commercial fireworks can and do cause injuries every year.

They're still less dangerous than falling bullets though, that's my point.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 6:51 pm

nick007 wrote:
When my dad was in school a classmate of his lost a finger making a bomb out of Fireworks :skull:

Bomb making is a dangerous hobby. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う