Green Day song lyric change earns my respect

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 12:28 pm

So during a live performance of "American Idiot", the lyric "I'm not part of the redneck agenda" was changed to "MAGA agenda".

The meaning still stays the same since the far right movement has evolved a lot for the worse since the song was originally written.

Double thumbs up.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 12:32 pm

Cool!

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 12:35 pm

correct

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jan 2024, 8:02 pm

He's been doing it at a lot of his performances since Trump's presidency.

His album American Idiot, which was originally about the Bush administration, has actually aged pretty well, and it's remained relevant due to the overall theme of disliking the government. The worst aspects of Trump's presidency made the worst aspects of Bush's presidency look like nothing.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 11:49 pm

Green Day was one of my special interests for many years. I adore them. Although since about 2011 I have intentionally bowed out from following them because it was getting to be too much.

It's ridiculous that the MAGA crowd are objecting to politicizing an already political song, and in any case Green Day has always worn their politics very proudly. Even in their early years, when their lyrics were not overtly political, they went on tour with Pansy Division, an openly gay band, during their first big tour in 1994. There was at least one venue that didn't want pansy Division to play, and Green Day stood by them and said they wouldn't play either, and the venue relented.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Jan 2024, 10:49 pm

The lyric change makes a lot more sense to me. Rednecks are people who are proud to live the country lifestyle. It's quite possible for some rednecks to love the country lifestyle while not supporting conservative politics. Whereas the term MAGA is clearly about hardcore conservative politics.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition