Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 12:43 pm

In this thread I will post critiques of Zionism by Jewish people.

Currently, only a very small minority of Jews oppose Zionism, but it seems be growing among Jewish young people. I think it's important to encourage this trend by amplifying the voices of Jews who either oppose Zionism or otherwise take the situation of Palestinians seriously.

I'll begin with the following video I came across just now:

Holocaust Survivor Tells Piers Morgan Why He’s Not A Zionist

EDIT: The above is an excerpt (with some superimposed commentary) from a longer interview:

Gabor Maté and Piers Morgan Discuss Israel's Right to Defend Itself

This interview was uploaded to YouTube on Nov 29, 2023.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2024, 2:13 pm

I have no statistic on it but my impression is that European Jews are much less focused on thinking about Israel that the American ones are. European Jews seem to more mind their own business living in Europe and being a part of the society where they live.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 12:54 am

More from Gabor Maté:

Understanding Jewish Disillusionment with Israel (w/ Gabor Maté)

Summary on YouTube:

Quote:
Dec 21, 2023
Author, physician & trauma expert Gabor Maté joins Bad Faith to discuss how left disillusionment with Bernie Sanders style electoral movements, and Jewish disillusionment with Israel, are part of a painful yet positive progressive shift. He weighs in on 2024, Marianne & RFK Jr, holocaust trauma, and more.

In my opinion he may be overly pessimistic about prospects for change in American foreign policy. If anything, American foreign policy has sometimes been overly fickle, e.g. Trump tearing up Obama's peace deals with Iran.

Also, I don't want to see American foreign policy turn too radically against Israel. I don't want us to suddenly stop supporting Israel's "Iron Dome," for example -- that being a technology designed primarily to save lives rather than kill people. (I personally know at least two people -- my partner's mother and stepfather -- who live in Jerusalem, and I worry about their safety.)

On the other hand, I do want to see a moratorium ASAP on sending them bombs.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 2:18 am

The best-known Jewish group opposing the war on Gaza is Jewish Voice for Peace.

One page on their site is Our Approach to Zionism. Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
Jewish Voice for Peace is guided by a vision of justice, equality and freedom for all people. We unequivocally oppose Zionism because it is counter to those ideals.

We know that opposing Zionism, or even discussing it, can be painful, can strike at the deepest trauma and greatest fears of many of us. Zionism is a nineteenth-century political ideology that emerged in a moment where Jews were defined as irrevocably outside of a Christian Europe. European antisemitism threatened and ended millions of Jewish lives — in pogroms, in exile, and in the Holocaust.

Through study and action, through deep relationship with Palestinians fighting for their own liberation, and through our own understanding of Jewish safety and self determination, we have come to see that Zionism was a false and failed answer to the desperately real question many of our ancestors faced of how to protect Jewish lives from murderous antisemitism in Europe.

While it had many strains historically, the Zionism that took hold and stands today is a settler-colonial movement, establishing an apartheid state where Jews have more rights than others. Our own history teaches us how dangerous this can be.

Palestinian dispossession and occupation are by design. Zionism has meant profound trauma for generations, systematically separating Palestinians from their homes, land, and each other. Zionism, in practice, has resulted in massacres of Palestinian people, ancient villages and olive groves destroyed, families who live just a mile away from each other separated by checkpoints and walls, and children holding onto the keys of the homes from which their grandparents were forcibly exiled.

Because the founding of the state of Israel was based on the idea of a “land without people,” Palestinian existence itself is resistance. We are all the more humbled by the vibrance, resilience, and steadfastness of Palestinian life, culture, and organizing, as it is a deep refusal of a political ideology founded on erasure.

In sharing our stories with one another, we see the ways Zionism has also harmed Jewish people. Many of us have learned from Zionism to treat our neighbors with suspicion, to forget the ways Jews built home and community wherever we found ourselves to be. Jewish people have had long and integrated histories in the Arab world and North Africa, living among and sharing community, language and custom with Muslims and Christians for thousands of years.

By creating a racist hierarchy with European Jews at the top, Zionism erased those histories and destroyed those communities and relationships. In Israel, Jewish people of color – from the Arab world, North Africa, and East Africa – have long been subjected to systemic discrimination and violence by the Israeli government. That hierarchy also creates Jewish spaces where Jews of color are marginalized, our identities and commitments questioned & interrogated, and our experiences invalidated. It prevents us from seeing each other — fellow Jews and other fellow human beings — in our full humanity.

Zionist interpretations of history taught us that Jewish people are alone, that to remedy the harms of antisemitism we must think of ourselves as always under attack and that we cannot trust others. It teaches us fear, and that the best response to fear is a bigger gun, a taller wall, a more humiliating checkpoint.

Rather than accept the inevitability of occupation and dispossession, we choose a different path. We learn from the anti-Zionist Jews who came before us, and know that as long as Zionism has existed, so has Jewish dissent to it. Especially as we face the violent antisemitism fueled by white nationalism in the United States today, we choose solidarity. We choose collective liberation. We choose a future where everyone, including Palestinians and Jewish Israelis, can live their lives freely in vibrant, safe, equitable communities, with basic human needs fulfilled.

This is followed by a section titled "What is Zionism? Where did it come from?" That section talks only about the history of Jewish Zionism, ignoring Christian Zionism.

Their attempt to analyze why the U.S.A. is so strongly supportive of the Israel government is on a page titled Settler colonialism, white supremacy, and the “special relationship” between the U.S. and Israel. This article makes some valid points, IMO, but misses the elephant in the room. It seems odd to me that JVP is so utterly unaware of Christian Zionism.

According to the contact info at the bottom of each page on their website, JVP's headquarters are in Berkeley, CA. Perhaps the folks responsible for JVP's website just have never had occasion to run into any Christian Zionists?

(See my separate thread about Christian Zionism.)

Anyhow, another interesting page on their site is Jewish Alternatives to Zionism: A Partial History.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 2:35 am

There is also a local NYC-based org called Jews for Racial & Economic Justice, whose website has a page Israel-Palestine As A Local Issue.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 8:17 am

So many issues brought up in these videos each probably deserving of there own thread but for now I will briefly comment on some of them.

There is an organization IfNotNow that has been heavily involved in Pro Palestinian protests and civil disobedience but for whatever reasons do not get the publicity of Jewish Voice for Peace.

Zionists often accuse Jewish Voice for Peace of not being Jewish because you do not have to be Jewish to join. One of my main reasons for being “anti-woke” is I am against purity tests. There does come a point where an organization becomes so integrated a change in name is warranted. JVP is not close to that.

As I posted earlier somewhere polling of Jews is inadequate so any claim of Jewish or Israeli opinion I make is my opinion on my heavy reading about the topic. I found the claims of Jewish/Israeli/Zionist opinion in videos dated and simplistic. The claim that Jews/Zionists have no knowledge of the malevolent aspects of Israel’s founding was true when I grew up in the 60s and 70s but strains credulity now. The findings by Israeli historians have been well publicized in The Jewish/Israeli press for years now.

Those quests in videos claiming that Zionists are uncritical of Israel, where were they in 2023 up until 10/7? Did they somehow miss tens and hundreds of thousands of people protesting the Netanyahu government every Saturday Night in Tel Aviv and even mainstream Jewish-Americans discussing disassociating themselves from Israel? Due to the rally around flag effect after 10/7 that all shut down. In the last few weeks there have indications that Israelis are beginning to wake up from their “slumber”.

The claim in the videos that most Zionists are happy or content with the suffering in Gaza is simplistic. There does seem to be a significant percentage of zionists that want the Palestinians cleansed but most Israeli I have seen interviewed are unhappy about it but remain unconvinced there is a viable alternative.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 5:14 pm

Thanks for mentioning If Not Now (which I just now googled; the link in your post was incorrect).

If Not Now's website also contains a link to a list of websites of various organizations in Israel and Palestine who share their aims. Some of these appear to be Jewish/Israeli orgs, others appear to be Palestinian orgs or mixed orgs.

More later.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 4:27 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As I posted earlier somewhere polling of Jews is inadequate so any claim of Jewish or Israeli opinion I make is my opinion on my heavy reading about the topic. I found the claims of Jewish/Israeli/Zionist opinion in videos dated and simplistic. The claim that Jews/Zionists have no knowledge of the malevolent aspects of Israel’s founding was true when I grew up in the 60s and 70s but strains credulity now. The findings by Israeli historians have been well publicized in The Jewish/Israeli press for years now.

For how many years/decades?

Also, it seems to me that there are degrees of awareness of "malevolent aspects of Israel’s founding." One can be aware of some but not all of these "malevolent aspects."

For example, even back in the 1970's, I learned, in high school, that there were both Jewish terrorists and Arab terrorists during the British Palestine Mandate era. But I did not learn that the vast majority of Palestinians were forcibly expelled from their homes in 1948 and not allowed to return.

Twenty years ago, it was known (by anyone paying attention) that the majority of Palestinians had somehow left Israel in 1948 and were not allowed to return. But the official story was that they had left voluntarily, having been warned by nearby Arab governments about their impending attack on the newly-formed Israeli government, and that they just were not allowed back in after Israel unexpectedly won the 1948 war. Even this struck me as quite unfair; why should the Palestinians be punished with permanent banishment for the mere crime of fleeing, on what they believed was a temporary basis, just to get out of harm's way?

I only just recently learned about the book Erased from Spaces and Consciousness: Israel and the Depopulated Palestinian Villages of 1948 by Noga Kadman, published in 2015, originally published in Israel, showing that many Palestinians were outright expelled from their homes and, in many cases, their villages destroyed. More about this book here, in my separate thread What life is like for Palestinians.

Also, here in the U.S.A., there are probably a lot of Jews who don't bother to follow either the Israeli press or the American Jewish press anywhere near as closely as you do, and whose understanding of the situation may therefore be missing key details.

And even some Jews who do follow the news regularly may miss key details. For example, my partner, who reads online news every day (via Google News) was (until I brought it to his attention just recently) unaware of the Israeli scholarship finally verifying the truth of what Palestinians have been saying for decades about the Nakba. Indeed he was unfamiliar with even the very word "Nakba."

Non-Jews, including Christian Zionists, are even less likely to follow either the Israeli press or the American Jewish press very closely.

A further problem is that critics of Israel (at least among leftists here in the U.S.A.) have tended to express themselves using oversimplified soundbite slogans -- such as "Zionism is racism!" -- which are easily nitpicked, likely leaving many Americans, Jewish or otherwise, with the impression that the critics of Israel don't have a case.

Another common soundbite used by critics of Israel is to compare Israel's occupation of the West Bank to "apartheid." This does indeed make sense, but only if you happen to be familiar with some key details regarding West Bank Areas A, B, and C, and how they are administered. (See Wikipedia article and Anera page, with map.)

I myself never heard of Areas A, B, and C until a few years ago, when a discussion here on Wrong Planet prompted me to read up on the Oslo Accords. Then, and only then, did I begin to understand just how awful the situation has been for Palestinians for lo these many decades.

I suspect that many Americans -- especially non-Jews, but probably including at least some Jews too -- still are similarly in the dark about the underlying issues in Israel/Palestine. I suspect that, still, the only things most Americans know about Israel-Palestine are (1) that it is the Biblical "Holy Land" and (2) that a lot of fighting goes on there periodically, for whatever reason, maybe just the Devil making them do it.

About 15 years ago, I decided to do some reading up on the Israel/Palestine situation, to try to understand it. All I could ascertain was that the two sides seemed to be living in completely different universes. As far as I could tell, there seemed to be no consensus at all on even the most basic facts. So I felt utterly confused, with no good independent way to determine the facts for myself.

The one and only thing that was clear to me was that there were people both sides who were trying to generate sympathy for their own side by whipping up crude bigotry against people on the other side. For example, the 1988 Hamas charter endorsed the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. On the other hand, here in the U.S.A., there were ardent Zionists (both Jewish and Christian) doing everything they could to whip up Islamophobia, often in ridiculous ways, such as the hullabaloo against the "Ground Zero Mosque."

So, for many years, I gave up on even trying to understand the Israel/Palestine situation itself.

I began to learn a little more about it a few years ago, as explained above. And then, within the past two months, the horror in Gaza has spurred me to learn a lot more. As you may have noticed, it has become my obsession recently.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 03 Jan 2024, 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 8:15 pm

You learned more about the founding of Israel back in the day then I. We were taught nothing about it in public school. In Hebrew school we were taught a bunch of ragtag Holocaust survivors with the help of God first beat the mighty British, then held off the armies of 22 Arab countries. As far as the refugees we were taught the Arab governments told the local Arabs(no concept of Palestinians in America then) come to us and we will get your land back. It seemed like a logical gamble at the time. In reality they should have driven the Jews into the sea but there was no unity among the differing Arab armies.

It was not only 1948 that produced a massive amount of refugees but 1967. It was and is still viewed in Israel as another miracle. As it turned out it wasn’t. The government went so far as have rabbis dig graves in parks to give the Americans the impression that another genocide was coming. It spooked the Israeli public who a little over 20 years after the holocaust were listining to daily genocidal rhetoric coming from Gamal Abdul Nasser over Egyptian radio. Truth was intelligence services from a wide variety of countries including Israel’s had little doubt Israel would prevail.

As far a I am concerned I can not give an exact date when I learned about these things. I did not make a mental note that I should remember this date in case somebody asks later. It was in the internet era that I learned about revisionist Israeli historians and what they found out. I need to mention that even now a lot of non zionist outlets are still describing the exodus of the Palestinians as a mixture of ethnic cleansing and people leaving voluntarily.

I can’t say I was shocked. We have lived thorough Vietnam, Watergate, WMD’s that were not there, shock and awe etc. I saw no reason that Jews would be above that. The idea that we are chosen people has always made me cringe. I have never felt chosen anything for obvious reasons.

I also did not bother to post about Israel much. I viewed that as both pointless and a situation I would look like fool. No matter what I would argue the other people would know more information and how to weaponize it. And arguing this is what happened in 1948, no this is what happened seemed like a futile useless exercise.

When the war started people were viewing Israeli thinking through American and social justice lenses. I looked at what Face of Boo is doing. He is valuable source because he discusses what he knows with the added perspective from living there. I said to that up to a point I can do something similar. The down side is it is self limiting but my fellow members are doing their best to fill in the gaps with multiple videos per day. To my surprise what I have done seems to be working. I have seen the points I brought up being repeated. That understanding does not mean people have become more sympathetic to zionists, probably the opposite.

I thank you all for listening and lets hope for the safety of Face of Boo who may find himself in some very dangorous situations.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 11:59 am

Wikipedia has a List of Jewish anti-Zionist organizations.

Below is a reorganized version of the list, with links to the groups' own websites, if known, or other sources otherwise, in addition to the Wikipedia articles about each org.

Here in the U.S.A.:

- American Council for Judaism: Website | DBPedia | Wikipedia. (Note: Judging by their website's About page, it does not seem to me to be quite accurate to describe them as "anti-Zionist," although their site contains quite a bit of criticism of Israel.)
- International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network: Website | Wikipedia.
- Jewish Voice for Peace: Website | Wikipedia.
- Malachim: Wikipedia. Small Hasidic group.
- Satmar: Yivo Encyclopedia | Wikipedia. Large Hasidic group in Brooklyn, from Hungary.
- Neturei Karta: Website | Jewish Virtual Library | Wikipedia. Haredi (traditional Orthodox) group noted for its participation in recent pro-ceasefire and pro-Palestinian protests.

In Israel:

- Anarchists Against the Wall: Book | Book excerpt | DBPedia | Wikipedia.
- Edah HaChareidis: Israel National News, Dec 19, 2023 | Wikipedia. A Haredi (traditional Orthodox) group.
- Jerusalem Faction: Times of Israel news stories | DBPedia | Wikipedia.
- Mishkenos HoRoim: Alchetron | DBPedia | Wikipedia. A small Hasidic group.
- Shomer Emunim: Wikipedia. Small Hasidic group.
- Neturei Karta (see listing under U.S.A. groups; they are also in a few other countries too).
- Sikrikim: Wikipedia. Extremist Haredi group, also noted, alas, for harassing women whom they deem to be "immodestly dressed."

Elsewhere:

- Jewdas (in the U.K.): Website | Wikipedia.
- Independent Jewish Voices (U.K. and Canada): U.K. website | Canada website | Wikipedia.
- Union des progressistes juifs de Belgique: Wikipedia.
- Een Ander Joods Geluid: Wikipedia.

One of the sources I found for some of the organizations listed above, DBPedia, also has its own list of Jewish anti-Zionist organizations.

Wikipedia's list of orgs does not include If Not Now. (Nor does it include Jews for Racial & Economic Justice, a local NYC-based organization which is anti-Zionist but does not focus on that as its primary issue.)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 3:28 pm

News stories about anti-Zionist Jewish groups:

- Who are the Palestinian and Jewish-led groups leading the protests against Israel’s action in Gaza?, PBS, Nov 16, 2023.
- A Brief History of Anti-Zionist Jews by Nathaniel Flakin, Left Voice, October 21, 2023
- Get to know the pro-Palestinian anti-Zionist Israeli Jewish groups by Iwan Santosa, Kompas (Indonesia), 18 November 2023.

Page by a Zionist worried about Jewish anti-Zionists: The rise of the anti-Zionist Jews by Rachel Zaslavsky, Jewish News Service, June 6, 2023

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 11:37 am

Israeli General's Son: Why I Rejected Zionism - Miko Peled on Genocide, Palestine, And How This Ends

Synopsis on YouTube (Owen Jones's channel):

Quote:
Jan 12, 2024

Miko Peled is absolutely extraordinary to listen to. An Israeli-American activist and author, his family were Israeli national heroes: his grandfather signed Israel's 1948 Declaration of Independence, and his father served as a general in the Six-Day War of 1967.

Peled hear tells me about his journey away from Zionism, about how Palestinians are dehumanised, opposing the revising of history, the prospects of a genuine peaceful answer - and much more.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 5:21 am

This Israeli Peace Activist Must Be Heard - w/ Dana Mills

On Owen Jones's YouTube channel. The description on YouTube says:

Quote:
We desperately need to elevate the voices of courageous Israeli peace activists - without them, there is little hope - and so it was an honour to interview Dana Mills. She's an author and writer, and here she discusses the trauma of 7th October, the grim atmosphere facing Israeli peace activists, the horrors unleashed on the Palestinian people, the terrifying plans of the Israeli right - and what happens next.

We also discuss what German-Polish revolutionary Rosa Luxemburg - Dana Mills.is her biographer - would have made of all this.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 3:20 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
In Israel:

- Jerusalem Faction: Times of Israel news stories | DBPedia | Wikipedia.

In Hebrew, their name is apparently Peleg Yersushalmi.

ASPartOfMe has started a separate thread about them here: IDF withdrawals from West Bank City-Attacked by sect members.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 3:43 am

In Melbourne we have a a large jewish community. There are many hundreds of Jewish students/adults who hold vigils for the dead HAMAS victims from Oct 7 every Sunday in Federation square.

I frequently walk up to this group when I am in the city on Sundays and speak with them offering my sympathies, What is interesting to me is that while some of the older Jewish people might have zionist sympathies, almost all the young people I spoke with claim they are not zionists and many had no interest in Israel till they saw what happened last year on Oct 7.

I think there is a psychological impact on especially young Jews seeing innocent young Jewish people getting deleted (most of whom were probably also not zionists, just youngsters enjoying a music festival).]

Is it not possible that average Jews across the diaspora who have no interest in zionism but who experienced some form of PTSD from Oct 7. Let's not pretend that anti-semitism does not cause depression and anxiety in young Jewish people and the perception was Oct 7 was an anti-semitic attack (inothing to do with war as claimed by Palestinians).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 6:14 am

Is Israel Part of What It Means to Be Jewish? - New York Times reprinted by Yahoo News

Quote:
Last month, on the first night of Hanukkah, more than 200 people packed an old ballroom on the third floor of a restored synagogue in New York City. A few came fresh off the subway from a protest that was organized by left-wing Jewish groups calling for a cease-fire in the Israel-Hamas war.

They were there to hear from Shaul Magid, 65, whose long, thin white beard and shaved head made him look more like a roadie than a rabbi. A professor of Jewish studies at Dartmouth College as well as (yes) a rabbi, Magid was there to spread the message elucidated in a new book, “The Necessity of Exile,” that Jews today outside Israel — 75% of whom live in the United States — should embrace diaspora, the state of living outside a homeland, as a permanent and valuable condition.

“If there’s a diasporic reality where Jews have been able to live as Jews, flourish as Jews, not to be oppressed and persecuted — whether they choose to be a Satmar Hasid or Larry David, it doesn’t matter — if they’re allowed to live the Judaism they want, why would that be a tragedy?” he said.

Magid’s outlook is one of several burgeoning visions for the future of Jewish life that fall under the umbrella of “diasporism.” The idea has been getting a new look since Hamas’ horrific attack on Israel three months ago and Israel’s pulverizing bombing campaign and invasion in the Gaza Strip. Those events have forced Jews everywhere to reckon anew with what they think about Israel and the central role it plays in Jewish life — the kind of charged moment when members of spiritual communities can ask themselves what really matters and sometimes reach radically different conclusions.

Some versions of diasporism are secular, often hearkening back to the un-religious, anti-Zionist Jewish Labor Bund that arose in late 19th-century Eastern Europe — the same time and place where political Zionism was born — to agitate for Jewish rights in the European empires of the day. The Bund’s slogan of “doikayt,” a Yiddish word that roughly means “hereness,” has been adopted by younger left-wing Jews.

“This socialist, secular, liberatory philosophy,” said Molly Crabapple, an artist and writer working on a history of the Bund, “whether it was the Bund or the larger world of Yiddish socialism, is deeply interwoven into our heritage” and “can provide a moral compass and help people reject exclusionary and violent ideologies.”

Other flavors are religious. University of California, Berkeley professor emeritus Daniel Boyarin has called the Babylonian Talmud — a rulebook for living Jewishly, composed in exile — the true Jewish homeland.

Zionism, at least at its most doctrinaire, insists a Jew can achieve total realization as a Jew only by living in Israel. Shlilat ha-golah, Hebrew for “negation of the exile,” was an early Zionist slogan.

Diasporism, by contrast, holds the inverse: that Jews must embrace marginality and a certain estrangement from Israel the country and perhaps even Israel the place. “Anybody who cares seriously about being a Jew,” goes an epigraph to Magid’s book from late American theologian Eugene Borowitz, “is in Exile and would be in Exile even if that person were in Jerusalem.”

‘Putting One’s Head in the Sand’
In 2024, anti-Zionism is the closest thing organized Judaism has to heresy.

The land of Israel is central to the religion, the foundational narrative of which is about returning from slavery to the Promised Land. Over centuries of exile, Jews have pledged, “Next year in Jerusalem” and prayed facing that city. Places of pilgrimage dot Israel’s map — many in parts controversially annexed or occupied after war. Synagogues everywhere pay homage to the original, destroyed temples in Jerusalem, the site of which remains sacred.

Seventy-five years after its founding in May 1948 — and decades following its victory in the Arab-Israeli War of 1967, which captivated American Jews (while also initiating the occupation of stateless Palestinians) — the modern state of Israel continues to draw widespread support among Jews throughout the world.

This is true in countries, like France, where antisemitic incidents have led to increases in Jewish emigration to Israel. But it is also true in the United States, where many Jews have achieved historic levels of privilege and security — and Israel has functioned as a common flag, in a sense, for the community to rally around.

Diasporism, in other words, is a distinctly minority position. It is easily seen as dismissive of the more than 7 million Jews in Israel — more than in any other country, and most of them refugees or their descendants from places from which they understandably fled, like 1930s Europe, or to which they may not be welcome to return, like elsewhere in the Middle East and North Africa. (Even the satirical diasporism in Philip Roth’s 1993 novel “Operation Shylock” envisions only Jews from Europe going back where they came from.) It can seem a willful blindness to the centuries of persecution and pogroms, culminating in the Holocaust, that convinced most Jews as well as the international community that Israel needed to exist.

And for most Jews, Oct. 7, in which Hamas killed or kidnapped nearly 1,500 Israelis, provoked solidarity and viscerally reminded them of Israel’s raison d’être. This is one reason most everyone in the American Jewish establishment, from the Republican Jewish Coalition to social justice-minded Reform rabbis, has steadfastly stood with Israel in the months since.

But some Jews have been repelled by Israel’s military response, which has killed approximately 23,000, according to officials in Gaza.

Membership in IfNotNow, an American Jewish group critical of Israel, has more than doubled since Oct. 7, according to a spokesperson. The weekly newsletter of Jewish Voice for Peace, an anti-Zionist group, went to 43,000 people Oct. 4, said a spokesperson, and to 350,000 two months later.

Magid, a dual American-Israeli citizen, favors one state for Israeli Jews and Palestinians, but he said in an interview that he also would welcome a negotiated two-state solution. More than its shape, Israel’s centrality to Judaism elsewhere is what he hopes can be adjusted.

“Israel has become the substitute for Jewish identity,” he said. “And we have at least a 2,000-year history — maybe longer, certainly 2,000 year. A robust history. We have to grab ahold of that and basically take it back from those who took it away from us.”

An Abstract Concept
For Magid, a thriving 21st-century Judaism without Israel at its core must include a return to religion — “always the thing,” he said, “that’s going to keep us together.”

That religion is based around exile, largely arising after the Romans’ destruction of the Second Temple in the year 70.

Rabbis fashioned substitutes for holy requirements that could no longer be performed: prayers instead of animal sacrifices, arks for Torah scrolls instead of the Temple’s inner sanctum.

“One of the crucial things diaspora does is shape this idea of Judaism as a portable identity, not wedded to land — you can maintain a vibrant Jewish culture and religion, remain a faithful and observant Jew,” said Daniel B. Schwartz, a professor of Jewish history at George Washington University. Even if this Judaism “incorporated a longing for Zion within its liturgy and law,” Schwartz added, “how messianic was your average Jew in the Middle Ages? Probably not that much.”

But a fully diasporic Judaism — especially in a world in which Jewish exile is, thanks to Israel, no longer voluntary — remains an abstract concept. Boyarin, the Berkeley professor emeritus and Talmudist, conceives of a diaspora that values its connections to other Jewish communities — including Israel’s, but not privileging it. Magid in his book examines some Hasidic sects that avoid encouraging emigration to Israel, believing it heretically preempts the messianic redemption.

Younger American Jews have their own ideas. Relaunching the left-wing journal Jewish Currents in 2018, then-publisher Jacob Plitman described “an emerging diasporism” that balanced “a critical awareness of Israel” with “a commitment to struggling primarily in the communities in which we live.” The magazine has been forthrightly left-wing, as likely to center the Palestinian as the Jewish perspective.

Simon Schama, a university professor of art history and history at Columbia University who has published two volumes of “The Story of the Jews,” rejects diasporism, arguing that longing for the land of Israel is an inescapable aspect of Jewish texts, from poetry of medieval Spain to everyday religious liturgy sung in 2024.

’The Promised Land’
Diasporism’s limitations emerge starkly when one applies the concept to another people: the Palestinians. The statelessness of the Jewish past, after all, still describes the Palestinian present. The notion that Palestinians ought to accept their lot in the name of a high-minded ideology would strike Jewish diasporists, who tend to favor Palestinian self-determination, as noxious.

“The Jewish refugees from Europe — I think about them stateless, helpless,” said Sayed Kashua, a Palestinian-Israeli writer who now lives in the United States. “This plan of having a state, the modern national state that I’m not a huge fan of, was the only protection. So now it’s the majority of the Palestinians who have replaced the Jewish stateless, defenseless people.”

Most likely, diasporism will not triumph among Jewry worldwide or even in the United States. But neither does a return to the monumental stature Zionism enjoyed here after the 1967 war seem inevitable. Instead, a sharp divide is emerging between two increasingly distinct Jewish communities: one in Israel, one not.

If Oct. 7 inspired closer feelings to Israel for some Jews, for others its aftermath left them alienated from nationalism altogether. Confronted in the days after Hamas’ attack with the notion that dying as a Jew in Israel represented a nobler death, writer John Ganz said in a newsletter post, “When I die, I hope it will be here in New York, the promised land, surrounded by my brothers: all the different peoples of the world.”

Still others yearn for a more moderate diasporism, with the two Jewish communities in productive tension.

Alan Wolfe, a Boston University professor emeritus of history and author of “At Home in Exile: Why Diaspora Is Good for the Jews,” said that last year — as a far-right Israeli government sought to diminish the judiciary’s independence — Jews elsewhere served valuably as connected critics.

But he criticized non-Israeli Jews who did not understand that diaspora is “as much a mental as a geographic concept” — a status that links disparate people — and so failed to perceive the Hamas attack as an assault on Jews everywhere. It is a lesson, he argued, Israel could help teach them.

“If I could create the ideal world, it would be one in which half the Jews live in Israel and half the Jews don’t, and that’s pretty much what we have,” Wolfe added. “They need each other — especially now.”

Editors Note
This article is the most “on topic” to the PPR section I have posted

Personal Notes
I have always identified as a Jewish-American not as an American-Jew. I think it would be a very hard if not impossible for me to adjust to moving there. I have never visited Israel. It is not about not wanting to visit, it sounds interesting, it has just never been a priority.

Israel a small country. America’s difficulty with migrants has made me realize Israel would not be able to handle every Jew in the world deciding to move there.

All of that said I can never envision viewing Israel as anything resembling just another country. As much as I have doubts about it, it would like to see an Autistic country happen someday even if I probably would not move there.

My experience is different from many American especially New York area Jews. Not only being Autistic but living in a community where Jews are a small minority. I have always known what most American Jews are just finding out when an antisemitic wave hits it does not matter how religious you are or how Americanized you are, or how Progressive or MAGA you are. I was taught German Jews prior to the Nazis were just as assimilated as American Jews are. That hit home to me back in the ‘90s during the Serbian-Croatian War reading about people massacring each other who were lifelong friends and neighbors, best man at each others weddings etc. That sent chills up my spine and still does.

Life is full of contridictions.