Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Molly blue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2024, 4:42 pm

Hello,
I am new here. I am a woman, 34 years old and i have started my diagnosis process. I have my second appointment tomorrow. It feels really scary and cofusing. In my country autistic women are usually not diagnosed and I already feel weird for seeking it out. Although I think the therapist is well informed and open minded, she is young and not very experienced.
During the first appointment i felt like i had to prove something, that i had good reason to be there and at the same time i was trying not to leave anything out, not to exaggerate any behaviors, it was overwhelming.
I just need some encouragement , if you all have some helpful tip or a good word.
I don't want to be alone on this journey.
Happy new year!

Last edited by Molly blue on 01 Jan 2024, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 4:45 pm

It sounds like you're doing everything right so far. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 5:03 pm

Welcome!

The purpose of a diagnosis is to better understand yourself.
Sometimes knowing yourself will help avoid getting into overwhelming situations.

Sometimes the stores are too busy and crowded.
I've learned to just turn around and go back home!
It is better to go without!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 5:45 pm

Be honest. Be cooperative. Be helpful.

The best diagnosis is an accurate diagnosis.

And I don't know whether they're following the same script my diagnosis did but that session was kind of fun! Some of the tests and exercises they did with me were clearly setup for young children...and I was like 60 years past that!

The result: I got a diagnosis I believe is correct, I enjoyed that session, and the Psychologist seemed a little embarrassed.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 6:34 pm

Welcome - and good luck with the diagnostic process.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 7:08 pm

you are not alone.
remember whatever way the testing goes, it is to measure your neurology, there is no pass/fail. Even if they tell you you are not autistic, the results of your testing can be very informative and helpful.

my first go at testing, the professional who did the testing had never diagnosed a single person with autism, yet the neurological tests clearly showed that I am autistic, with real high scores along with really low ones... a strong sign of uneven neurological development. A psychologist with years of experience diagnosing and working with older adults with autism looked at the test results and showed me how the results actually proved I am autistic in spite of what that neurologist said. Don't be discouraged, don't be scared, they are there to help you and get information that can help as you go forward.

No matter what the results, you are still you, and the diagnosis depends on the skill and experience of the person or parties doing the exams and diagnosis process. I found it very interesting to participate in testing and to try to figure out what each of the test series was meant to find out
Keep us posted, many of us have gone through this and many more are thinking about it or have appointments and are waiting. We are here cheering you on.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 3:29 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 5:56 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You are beginning a journey to find out more about yourself. That is a good thing. I wish you well.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 9:08 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2024, 11:21 am

Welcome to the wrong planet. Good luck with the diagnosis process! Don't think of it as a test that you are trying to pass. Relax and be yourself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 1:08 am

Welcome to WP :salut: