Why do we judge those who don't conform?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 9:59 am

I don't see why some other people make such a fuss about some people who don't always follow the status quo as maybe other people do. Whether it be getting married and having kids later in life, someone dating someone much younger than them, an older person trying to appear attractive in a bikini or something etc.
I sometimes feel these are some of the things I see pop up in newspapers or on a video from some news channel. How they have the air time to talk about it I don't know.

I've wondered if the press is ageist and that the people who criticise other people are younger than them. I feel as though it is still a large portion of people that conform to what is considered "normal" in society like people still get married and have kids even when they are still rather young.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 11:12 am

There is a concept in computer science called overfitting, which means knowing too much about the known data to predict the future well. In my opinion, this concept has something in common with the phenomenon you mentioned. The pedant has lived so long and seen so little that he thinks all that he has not seen is wrong.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 10:06 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I don't see why some other people make such a fuss about some people who don't always follow the status quo as maybe other people do. Whether it be getting married and having kids later in life, someone dating someone much younger than them, an older person trying to appear attractive in a bikini or something etc.
I sometimes feel these are some of the things I see pop up in newspapers or on a video from some news channel. How they have the air time to talk about it I don't know.

I've wondered if the press is ageist and that the people who criticise other people are younger than them. I feel as though it is still a large portion of people that conform to what is considered "normal" in society like people still get married and have kids even when they are still rather young.

It's very real, and very frustrating, especially for us.
Autistic people often achieve goals on a different schedule than NTs and are less likely to conform to societal norms. It even happens on this site. Another, very active, poster described being in a relationship--like me-- with a significantly younger partner as "creepy." You'd think that people who are different themselves would be less judgemental.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 10:14 am

Being the type who doesn't follow the status quo, I make a point of not judging anybody. I know how it feels to be judged, and that's why I accept everybody as they are no matter how different they are. People judge people who don't follow the status quo because they're afraid of people who are different. That could go away with talking and communication. If more people would communicate and get to know each other, there would be a lot less judgement in the world.