What are your thoughts about Gypsy Rose

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 11:14 am

I've never heard of her, but based on a preliminary google I'm glad I don't know the case.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 12:37 pm

BillyTree wrote:
So thanks to the boyfriend the abuse ended and Gipsy Rose could start a normal life. Good for Gipys Rose while her saviour has to spend the rest of his life in jail.

I don't like that she walks free while he gets punished. I think there needs to be the same justice for him as there was for her. He regrets killing her mother but only did it in self-defense because Gypsy was in a very dangerous situation However, the entire situation just baffles me too. As I said, I am surprised the doctors and medical teams were not suspicious enough to have Dee Dee investigated.

Isabella, Gypsy was robbed of her childhood as a girl and a teenager as her mother suffered from Munchausen Disorder. Basically, her mother tricked her daughter into thinking that she was sick and disabled so she could exploit her. She also held her daughter hostage and did what she could to keep her down.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 3:49 pm

It was big news here.I’m two hours from Springfield.
Her mother was twisted, a grifter.
Maybe Gipsy didn’t see any other way out.
Mothers are suppose to protect, not harm and profit from it.
If I remember right ,the Mom claimed records were lost during Katrina.Still the doctors should have ran tests to verify the claims.
I don’t feel her accomplice got a fair deal.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 4:14 pm

From what I watched about her mother, her situation is very interesting.

Though Dee Dee was diagnosed with Munchausen Disorder, I first wondered if she had an antisocial personality disorder. However, there is a bigger picture. As it turns out, Gypsy's grandmother also tricked Dee Dee into believing that she was sick. She was also the golden child of the family and pretty much became the center of attention. So it makes me wonder if this behavior is a result of how she was raised.

Nature vs. nurture

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 6:46 pm

I think this was one of the most successful Munchausen by Proxy scams ever carried out on the medical profession, law enforcement and the local community. Some parents have the desire for this specific kind attention but they just aren't intelligent or self-controlled enough to carry it out without significant physical harm to their child. Gypsy's mom had it all: pathos, charisma, calculation, manipulation and patience. And Gypsy wouldn't have even understood there was a need to push back because her mother was her world. And Gypsy was the key to everything ( charity, attention, monetary support, housing ), the mother wasn't going to allow anyone into their lives that would threaten that.
Like most teens, Gypsy went looking for friends/boyfriends her own age and probably got a view into how screwed up her life was. I'm not saying what happened was justified, I'm just not sure if Gypsy would have ever had the courage to break away without doing something drastic. If her mother had successfully paraded her in front of medical professionals, convincing them she was disabled and Gypsy never spoke out, she was afraid.

I'm sorry the mother is dead, but my sympathy is reserved for Gypsy. I don't think she's a bad person, I think she's a victim of long term mental/emotional/physical abuse, maybe even a prisoner.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 7:26 pm

What her mother did to her was absolutely vile. I remember seeing the trailer for the mini TV series based on this case - 'The Act'. The trailer was disturbing and I could never bring myself to watch the series.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 8:21 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
What her mother did to her was absolutely vile. I remember seeing the trailer for the mini TV series based on this case - 'The Act'. The trailer was disturbing and I could never bring myself to watch the series.

I don't want to see it either. The main reason is that the mini-series wasn't completely accurate. However, I have seen clips and they picked great cast members.

1. The girl who played Gypsy looked and sounded just like her.
2. I like the actress who played Ms. Blanchard. Though she looked and sounded nothing like Dee-Dee, she seemed like she pretty talented.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 2:24 pm

I never watched it.It was constantly on the news here when it happened.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 6:24 pm

Dee Dee [Blanchard] had been making her daughter [Gypsy Rose Blanchard] pass herself off as younger and pretend to be disabled and chronically ill, subjecting her to unnecessary surgery and medication, and controlling her through physical and psychological abuse.  Marc Feldman, an international expert on factitious disorders, said this was the first case he knew of in which an abused child killed an abusive parent.  Gypsy Rose pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and served 8 years of a 10-year sentence.  She was granted parole in September 2023 and was released from prison on December 28, 2023.

Source:  This Wikipedia Article 

Thoughts: A parent abused her child, subjecting her to unnecessary medical treatments and procedures, and forcing her to pretend to be disabled and much younger that she actually was.  Eventually, the child's and her boyfriend murdered the mother, and the two conspirators ran off together.

Murder is wrong.  Self-defense was not an issue.  Both perpetrators likely deserved their sentences.  Once served, their debts to society have been paid.  Still, I would not wish either of them to be my neighbors.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 7:37 pm

I did watch the show about her a while back and then of course read up some about all that on the internet. But yeah idk I can see why she was willing to consider desperate measures to get out of the situation. Then as far as her boyfriend or whatever...I think he kind of felt like he had to do it to save her. She is the one who facilitated it though, so idk it is kind of unfair if he gets much harsher charges.

Unless he was more manipulative in convincing her to have him do it, but at least in the show seemed more like she coerced him to do it.

Either way tragic story all around.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 6:46 am

My understanding is that he committed the murder by stabbing her repeatedly. TBH it takes a more cold blooded person to do that than to kill by shooting. I believe she rewarded him with sex. So he cold bloodedly stabbed a woman to death for sex. I don't know whether he had more personal problems than the average person convicted of first degree murder, but this looks to me like an automatic life sentence. Obviously, her situation is more complicated, although I won't dispute that she was a victim.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 8:13 pm

OMG I just read this! I thought it was like the original Gypsy Rose from the early 1900s