Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2024, 9:35 pm

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur ... tml/ampRFA

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 5:00 pm

I heard some ad say there are more humans enslaved today than ever in the history of slavery or capitalism etc. Seems to be a global problem humans have decided they don't want to evolve past.

I doubt they even count the prison made goods workforce in the USA, which is essentially legalized slavery and why it's illegal to import prison made goods into Canada. (but almost certainly many textiles imported from around the world are slave made - there just has to be plausible deniability, I guess.)

Saw a little mini documentary about Asians being lured by job ads and then captured into slavery and made to operate phone/internet scam operations that are rampant in some countries. Pretty gross.

The Canadian version is when businesses agree to sponsor someone coming from abroad and then they have to work for that company for however many years before they can apply for permanent residency and then sometimes they're under paid or barely paid at all or possibly not even paid.. just shut their mouths and do the work, sleep on the floor and eat a bowl of rice or whatever for as long as it takes to "pay their dues," in thanks for getting them here from overseas until they qualify to get a different immigration status that then allows them to seek other work freely and go about starting a life. Sometimes people know this is exactly the arrangement they're getting themselves into and accept it for the long term benefits, other times I'm sure people get scammed into it and then accept it. It's all pretty gross.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 11:47 pm

It does get a little irritating when every thread in News, no matter the locale or the topic, becomes about the US.

Other places in the world are worthy of discussion. The topic is clearly outlined in the title of the thread.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 11:49 pm

^true

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 11:55 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It does get a little irritating when every thread in News, no matter the locale or the topic, becomes about the US.

Other places in the world are worthy of discussion. The topic is clearly outlined in the title of the thread.

:roll:

Good thing my post was more balanced than that and referenced Canada as well as Asian countries when comparing situations to what is going on in China.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 5:34 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Ya those are more concerning things than unpaid labour in some indoctrination centre.

Kinda wild how wild some of the rest of the world is when ya think about it. If it weren't for the internet & maybe news (and world travel, duh), people would Likely assume most of world was similar to wherever they live.. but the more I see about messed up things humans do elsewhere the more I realize this "bubble," I live in is quite nice and I sort of take it for granted that I don't have to worry about waking up in an ice bath missing a kidney or both.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 5:44 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Kinda wild how wild some of the rest of the world is when ya think about it. If it weren't for the internet & maybe news (and world travel, duh), people would Likely assume most of world was similar to wherever they live.. but the more I see about messed up things humans do elsewhere the more I realize this "bubble," I live in is quite nice and I sort of take it for granted that I don't have to worry about waking up in an ice bath missing a kidney or both.

People should know these things before choosing to travel and spend money in these countries OR choosing to buy products made in these countries. It's a little rich to express disdain for human rights in the PRC and then spend half your salary on goods made in China and/or take a holiday in Hong Kong or mainland China. No wonder the communist party laughs at us westerners.

Another culprit is Dubai. The city built from (and continues to be built upon) exploitation of human trafficking from south Asia. Yet millions of travellers from around the world willingly pump money into their economy.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 5:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

People should know these things before choosing to travel and spend money in these countries OR choosing to buy products made in these countries. It's a little rich to express disdain for human rights in the PRC and then spend half your salary on goods made in China and/or take a holiday in Hong Kong or mainland China. No wonder the communist party laughs at us westerners.

Another culprit is Dubai. The city built from (and continues to be built upon) exploitation of human trafficking from south Asia. Yet millions of travellers from around the world willingly pump money into their economy.

Valid points. The "less & less stuff," I buy, the more selective I can be about where it's made, buying based on Quality vs. cost etc and can take into consideration things like this. Rarely do I not buy an item, though.. I usually only buy things I need and if I notice where it's made and there isn't another easy alternative made somewhere better then I probably just buy the thing. That's the problem when a Lot of Things are all made in China to the point that stores don't stock comparable things made elsewhere. But sometimes I avoid it when there's some Canadian made thing conveniently available. etc.

Sometimes I don't know where something is made only that it's the perfect thing so I buy it - like for example I have no Idea where my surf kite was manufactured, or the new board, harness, wetsuit etc - only that they were all the perfect gear For Me so was purchased. Saw an ad posted for some carbon fibre control bars that Looked like ok quality and designs in photos (actual use, who knows) and someone asked where it's made and the poster proudly responded that they were made in Russia and I just thought "Good luck with that! :lol: " as I don't think too many people are keen to go around sanctions and help provide Russia with any funds to their country these days. I know I'm not.

But very valid points, indeed. Doesn't make sense for us to all give our money to countries that do things we disprove of. At all. My solution to that is largely buying fewer things over all vs. just buying plastic crap and disposable fast fashion clothing, but I really should make a point of comparing country of origin on more purchases before buying things.

There are also a Lot of countries in the world that seem not to make and export virtually anything here. Like I can't recall the last time I ever saw product for sale that was manufactured in Australia for example. And when I think of New Zealand the only thing that comes to mind is lamb we might find at a butcher shop. Far too many countries have All sent their manufacturing to China soooo most "stuff," comes from there. blah blah blah - people should be more conscious of it and buy non-slave made goods, though. Best way to do that is to buy Local wherever you are.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 6:56 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
My solution to that is largely buying fewer things over all vs. just buying plastic crap and disposable fast fashion clothing, but I really should make a point of comparing country of origin on more purchases before buying things.

Reducing consumption is really the only way to go. Products not manufactured in China (such as electrical goods) almost always contain components or boards or chips made in China. Although nowadays that's rare, anything electric is largely built/manufactured somewhere in China. I hear even Elon Musk is contracted building his Teslas in China.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 6:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I hear even Elon Musk is contracted building his Teslas in China.

Because that's the key to being able to sell Teslas in China. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 7:11 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
There are also a Lot of countries in the world that seem not to make and export virtually anything here. Like I can't recall the last time I ever saw product for sale that was manufactured in Australia for example. And when I think of New Zealand the only thing that comes to mind is lamb we might find at a butcher shop. Far too many countries have All sent their manufacturing to China soooo most "stuff," comes from there. blah blah blah - people should be more conscious of it and buy non-slave made goods, though. Best way to do that is to buy Local wherever you are.

This is also a conundrum for coffee lovers. Apparently even "certified" slave free coffee beans or tea leaves are actually a blend and contain any proportion of slave picked beans or leaves. It's not even worth policing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 7:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The same company contracted is already undercutting Tesla by producing a cheaper model called "Build Your Own Dreams" or BYD. I am seeing hundreds of these on the road in Melbourne (more common now than Teslas).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 7:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The same company contracted is already undercutting Tesla by producing a cheaper model called "Build Your Own Dreams" or BYD. I am seeing hundreds of these on the road in Melbourne (more common now than Teslas).

BYD has nothing to do with Tesla's Chinese operations though.

Quote:
Unique among foreign automakers in China, the plant is wholly owned by Tesla and not operated as a joint venture with a Chinese company.

Meaning BYD is not contracted to Tesla in anyway, shape or form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigafactory_Shanghai

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 7:23 pm

I thought BYD is a cheap knock off?

In Melbourne BYD > Tesla in terms of popularity

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 7:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I thought BYD is a cheap knock off?

In Melbourne BYD > Tesla in terms of popularity

No, BYD is just a Chinese company.
Assuming the Chinese economy is only capable of producing knock-offs of things is both racist and uninformed.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う