Questions about designing a website for the ASD community

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2024, 12:55 am

I'm in the process of building a site for the ASD community. What's not OK? Are slide shows on the homepage going to negatively affect accessibility? Video background without sound OK? How about a pop-up to allow you to subscribe to a newsletter?

David1346
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2024, 2:07 am

Since autism is a spectrum disorder, your website cannot be all things to all people because all of us are quite different with varying abilities, interests, and sensory issues. What may fly for one person will not fly for another. For example, some of us are visual learners and would respond well to slide shows with texts. Others might appreciate an audio narration.

As a starting point, I would avoid loud noises and flashing lights.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 2:29 am

Less or no need to mouse precision, preferably for dyspraxics.
Meaning, choices of having bigger boxes/option buttons, etc...

More cues, less overwhelm and keep it all simple and evenly spaced...
Mellow and mild colors, but also contrasting background to texts. Dark mode options.

Visual impairment/speech to text options for the dyslexics.
Subtitles and caption options for those with auditory processing issues.

Language had to be as direct as possible...
Set examples, too, if possible. (where to find x info, or what format shown "mm/dd" or last name, first name, etc...)

An option to see it all at once or breakdown into pages or auto scroll.
This can get complicated however with screen sizes and relative text size preferences.

Bite-sizing or chunking for those with ADHD.
Maybe, a system that also 'keeps' the typed data instead of losing it every refresh or whatnot.

I'm sure that's not all of it.
And also uncertain if it can be done all at once.

Maybe an option that adjusts those things before navigating and having recommendations and warnings in each content. (The usual clashes between the sensory seeking from the sensory aversive)

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jan 2024, 8:51 am

As an autistic person I find it very hard to read a webpage which has non-static elements that I can't control. This means slide shows that can't be stopped, video that can't be paused, animated buttons, flashing elements, etc. If there's information on the webpage which is only provided by means of a video, that's also an obstacle for me; the video needs a complete and independent transcript (in-line subtitles aren't enough).

But I'm only one autistic person. Others' mileage may vary.

Edna3362 has made some excellent recommendations. I particularly agree with the need for direct language and set examples.

There is a God.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2024, 1:23 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Less or no need to mouse precision, preferably for dyspraxics.
Meaning, choices of having bigger boxes/option buttons, etc...

More cues, less overwhelm and keep it all simple and evenly spaced...
Mellow and mild colors, but also contrasting background to texts. Dark mode options.

Edna3362 wrote:
Visual impairment/speech to text options for the dyslexics.
Subtitles and caption options for those with auditory processing issues.

That's already a best practice in the industry.

Edna3362 wrote:
Language had to be as direct as possible...
Set examples, too, if possible. (where to find x info, or what format shown "mm/dd" or last name, first name, etc...)

An option to see it all at once or breakdown into pages or auto scroll.
This can get complicated however with screen sizes and relative text size preferences.

<snip>

I'm sure that's not all of it.
And also uncertain if it can be done all at once.

Maybe an option that adjusts those things before navigating and having recommendations and warnings in each content. (The usual clashes between the sensory seeking from the sensory aversive)

To respond to that, the best practice is to make the site universally accessible to all handicaps. You have to pick a middle ground by targeting as many types of disabilities with one site design for all.

So far the site tests well for accessibility at WAVE (https://wave.webaim.org/). The site is very stripped down in a way that puts functionality first. Communicates clearly and directly with the important parts with a strong "call to action" which motivates interaction with the site. Content organized in a way that it's easily findable. Site structured in a way that the visitor can't get lost or hit a dead end. Always provide a search feature on the "Item not found" error page so that the visitor doesn't just stare at a 404 error message. Apply good user experience design that anticipates user error and building sites that are made for humans.

Been part of a team that provided video streaming of the Tribeca Film festival. Been doing corporate websites since 1998. Been a graphic designer and wordsmith since 1994.

Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2024, 2:55 pm

Try and avoid slideshows, they are somewhat redundant now.

What CMS are you using?

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 3:47 pm

I'm another one who seriously dislikes websites where things start moving of their own accord. Quite often that's enough to drive me away altogether, particularly if I'm new to the site and don't know my way around it yet.

There's a superb set of posters on digital accessibility up in one of the buildings I work in. Interestingly, there is a LOT of overlap in the needs of people with different disabilities. https://ukhomeoffice.github.io/accessib ... osters.pdf

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 3:57 pm

Pop-ups are annoying.

Is more important that the site is easy to use and read.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 4:13 pm

Firstly, well done for considering this. It's very important in today's web

This is a useful resource

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.2

Important things are keyboard navigation and screen reader compatibility. No one watches slideshows, they are pointless. There are much better ways to present info.

Watch YouTube videos on WCAG accessibility. There are lots of resources.