Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 2:17 am

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/RV4AeT ... tid=KsPBc6

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 12:10 pm

This is why one-party rule by the Dems or a further left-leaning party is needed.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 12:25 pm

The Americans will find a way.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 8:34 am

New York Times wrote:

Working the levers
My colleagues Jonathan Swan, Maggie Haberman and Charlie Savage are writing a continuing series on what Donald Trump plans to do during a second term as president. With Trump on his way to winning the Republican nomination, I want to devote today’s newsletter to a conversation with the three of them.

David: One question that some people have is whether Trump would govern as radically in a second term as his rhetoric suggests. After all, he also made sweeping promises when running in 2016, but he often failed to follow through.

There is no border wall. He didn’t withdraw from Afghanistan. He didn’t “lock up” Hillary Clinton. The courts rejected his initial Muslim ban and his changes to the census. What’s your view about whether to assume he will really do what he says in a second term?

Jonathan: I would challenge the statement that Trump didn’t do a lot of what he promised in his first term. Yes, there were some things he didn’t accomplish, and, yes, he initially appointed people who resisted his requests.

But by the end of his first term, Trump had put the U.S. on a course to withdraw from Afghanistan. On immigration, he had all but destroyed the asylum system. On trade, he had implemented tariffs against China and even European allies, and he had withdrawn from the Trans-Pacific Partnership — President Obama’s signature trade deal. He’d pulled the U.S. out of the Paris climate accords. I could go on, but you get the point.

Maggie: One way to look at this is that Trump would be picking up where he left off when the pandemic changed everything. At the beginning of 2020, Trump had installed a loyalist at the office of presidential personnel, John McEntee, to purge the government of anti-Trump officials and had plans to make it easier to fire civil servants. That was all put on pause, and would resume accordingly.

Charlie: Those who stuck with Trump learned a lot about how to work the levers of government over four years and are likely to be more competent than they were at first. For example, you mention that the courts blocked his ban on travel to the U.S. by people from several Muslim countries, but that is only true of the first stabs at it. Eventually, his administration figured out how to rewrite it in a way that the Supreme Court let take effect. His aides would be starting from that level of sophistication in a second term.

David: If he is president again, which policy areas do you think will be his biggest initial priorities?

Maggie: Immigration is an area where he tried to do a number of things last time, some of which his appointees blocked. One example was releasing undocumented immigrants into sanctuary cities — similar to what Republican governors have done with sending undocumented immigrants to blue states. But lawyers at Trump’s Department of Homeland Security said it couldn’t work.

If a second Trump term happens, I think you will see him move quickly on immigration. He has promised crackdowns at the border through use of the Insurrection Act, as well as mass roundups and deportations of undocumented immigrants.

He and his allies have also been clear that a big agenda item is eroding the Justice Department’s independence.

Charlie: Yes, Trump has vowed to use his power over the Justice Department to turn it into an instrument of vengeance against his political adversaries. This would end the post-Watergate norm that the department carries out criminal investigations independently of White House political control, and it would be a big deal for American-style democracy.

Jonathan: The reality is that Trump has spent almost no time thinking about what governing would look like in a second term. To the extent he has thought about it, his mind mostly turns to the Department of Justice and the “deep state” — which he understands as the intelligence community. People close to Trump are already drawing up lists of “disloyal” officials in the national security apparatus who will be targeted for retribution.

David: So far, we’ve been talking about the executive branch, but the Constitution includes checks on a president’s power — namely, Congress and the courts. How might they respond?

Charlie: The ability of other branches to serve as a check will be diminished. Most of the Republicans in Congress who occasionally stood up to Trump have left government or, by 2025, will have. Think of John McCain, Jeff Flake, Adam Kinzinger, Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney.

The Supreme Court will be more tilted in Trump’s favor in any second term, thanks to his own appointments in his first four years. As a result, some disputes that he lost last time — such as the immigration case involving so-called Dreamers — would probably come out the other way.

Jonathan: I would add that the Senate has been the institution most resistant to Trump, but that, too, is changing. Mitch McConnell is near the end of his career. And the newer Republican senators, like J.D. Vance of Ohio and Ted Budd of North Carolina, are Trump loyalists who replaced Trump skeptics.

David: Good point. The main conclusion I take from your reporting is that when Trump tells voters what he plans to do in a second term, we should default to believing him.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 8:59 am

Like I said in an earlier post - I can't believe this person has any supporters. A similar story was on PBS this week about the Bund in America This was a German group in the 1930s in America, it had many chapters. (They loved Hitler) They felt that the American government was too far left leaning and wanted to establish fascism in America with a dictator. They were for a violent overthrow of the government (can anyone say MAGA?) History does repeat itself

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 2:27 pm

The USA needs to figure out how to do mass cult deprogramming to bring people back to reality.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 4:04 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
The USA needs to figure out how to do mass cult deprogramming to bring people back to reality.

We judged Stanley Milgram way too harshly.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 6:37 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Dunno who that is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 6:38 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Trump speaking truth.
Into what bizarro world have I awakened?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 1:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Trump speaking truth.

Bizarro world? Nearly everyone in the country was doing better under Trump than they're doing under Biden. Why wouldn't they want to try to go back to that?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 1:23 pm

Bataar wrote:
Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Trump speaking truth.

Bizarro world? Nearly everyone in the country was doing better under Trump than they're doing under Biden. Why wouldn't they want to try to go back to that?

Back up your claims with evidence. Do you have any statistics or figures that suggest this is true?

Multi Millionaires and Billionaires got a $1.9 Trillion tax cut under trump - so they did better, but they're not the majority of people.

What evidence do you have that nearly everyone was doing better under trump than Biden?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 1:27 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Trump speaking truth.

Back up your claims with evidence. Do you have any statistics or figures that suggest this is true?

Multi Millionaires and Billionaires got a $1.9 Trillion tax cut under trump - so they did better, but they're not the majority of people.

What evidence do you have that nearly everyone was doing better under trump than Biden?

Inflation
Grocery prices
Gas prices
Energy prices

All are significantly higher/worse due to Biden's policies. Not to mention regional crisis like the southern border.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 1:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Trump speaking truth.

It's not that bizarro that trump contradicts himself. This interview just happened to be back when trump identified as a democrat And commented on the simple fact that the American economy tends to be better managed under Democratic Party rule than republican.

We all know the story. He only ran as a republican because he figured their voter base might be dumb enough to vote for him - and was right.

Clearly he'd have done dumb s**t as a democrat or independent, too. How you do anything is how you do everything, after all. Sure, he technically went to business school but he doesn't have an MBA or PHD in Economics. I bet he barely passed a couple classes just to get his degree. The guy doesn't even comprehend that China doesn't pay Billions and Billions in tariffs - it's American importers that have to pay those tariffs in order to import Chinese goods. Idiot. $7.8 Trillion added to the national debt in 4 years... ran the country like his many businesses he's bankrupted.

Just a complete and total charlatan. "Only I can fix it," :roll: okaaaay cult leader bean.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :vomit: :clown:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 1:45 pm

Bataar wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Trump speaking truth.

Inflation
Grocery prices
Gas prices
Energy prices

All are significantly higher/worse due to Biden's policies. Not to mention regional crisis like the southern border.

The first 4 items on your list are the same thing. Inflation - which has little to do with the Biden administration as it was Mostly caused by Covid pandemic shutdowns and corporate price gouging. However, the Biden administration has done better for the USA than any other G7 nation at managing to bring post covid inflation down. I heard a blurb this morning that it's now down to 2.2%.

In other economic measures: Jobs are up, unemployment has been at record lows for a record length of time, real incomes are up etc - on the whole people are doing better; it only doesn't seem like it when you're buying groceries.

The "crisis," at the Southern border has been an ongoing issue for decades. There is no sudden surge in issues at the border - only a manufactured one one Fox News pretending that border guards have abandoned their posts since Biden took office. Biden admin has proposed a comprehensive border & immigration reform bill to better manage the border, migrants, immigration courts etc by adding more border patrol staff, technology, judges etc but republicans refuse to pass it into law because making improvements for the good of the country would make the biden administration look good for making positive progress on managing the issue.. so, it isn't the biden admin not willing to take action on the decades long issue - it's the opposition blocking progress to try to prevent a political win for biden.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 3:20 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Dunno who that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Milgram