Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 12:38 pm

Sorry, I know I complain about this a lot but it's true.

There's just something quite isolating about being stuck in a place where most people your age have left. Yet you're still here, wondering why you're still here and wondering where you could even go. What you could even afford to do.

I don't know. There's no real point to this thread it's just a space for me to scream into the void quite frankly. :x

I think I need to take a good look at myself and figure out where I'm going this year. I don't want a repeat of 2023.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 12:40 pm

Do you mean move out of your parents?

It it normal nowadays for a twenty-something to live at home. Although it's not ideal in many respects, for obvious reasons.

You could always sign up for social housing/enter the bidding system if you want to rent. That is better than paying full market rental prices.

Or you could save to buy a deposit for a small place if you are on a budget.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 3:00 pm

Meh, I've been over it for a very long time. Housing costs are astronomically expensive. I couldn't afford to rent a place with the storage space for my tools and sporting goods and motorcycle and things - not proper, anyways. And even a small place with enough room to abuse for storage would be really expensive. Add in parking spaces for the car/truck etc and no way Jose. Even a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere would make me very poor, and extremely broke in certain neighbourhoods. Just doesn't make any financial sense to relocate from the family home ever unless I don't Have To. There's only 2 of us in 3200sf so it's more than adequate and comes with a lot of luxuries I could never afford solo. Plus then I'd have no choice but to work full time plus and not pursue anything else but paying monthly bills. Moving out solo isn't all it's cracked up to be. I bet there are plenty of people envious of those who have the option of living in their parent's homes and having things like space, enough money for groceries, and disposable income. Due to those factors here, it's not weird at all for adults to live in the family home and no one really questions it much at all anymore. I probably won't move until my mother passes and the house has to be sold and money divided 4 ways.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2024, 7:45 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Meh, I've been over it for a very long time. Housing costs are astronomically expensive. I couldn't afford to rent a place with the storage space for my tools and sporting goods and motorcycle and things - not proper, anyways. And even a small place with enough room to abuse for storage would be really expensive. Add in parking spaces for the car/truck etc and no way Jose. Even a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere would make me very poor, and extremely broke in certain neighbourhoods. Just doesn't make any financial sense to relocate from the family home ever unless I don't Have To. There's only 2 of us in 3200sf so it's more than adequate and comes with a lot of luxuries I could never afford solo. Plus then I'd have no choice but to work full time plus and not pursue anything else but paying monthly bills. Moving out solo isn't all it's cracked up to be. I bet there are plenty of people envious of those who have the option of living in their parent's homes and having things like space, enough money for groceries, and disposable income. Due to those factors here, it's not weird at all for adults to live in the family home and no one really questions it much at all anymore. I probably won't move until my mother passes and the house has to be sold and money divided 4 ways.

The housing situation is bad in the UK, but not as bad as Canada I don't think.

But definitely, like you say, there is a decrease in living standards associated with moving out of a parents home in this day and age. At least in terms of disposable income.

Wages are low in general in the UK.

A lot of people will have to wait for an inheritance to be financially comfortable, if even they are due one.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 8:38 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

Yes, that's what I mean.

I know it's relatively common for people my age to still live with their parents. Most of my friends have moved out to live on their own, but that does tend to mean living from pay cheque to pay cheque. There's a bit of judgement from others. Not from my family but from my peers.

Really it's difficult since it can be tricky to find work where I am. Nowhere is close. A lot of businesses go under prematurely. Travel is limited since they keep cancelling services. I don't have a lot of options. Even when I eventually pass my driver's test, it will be a while until I can sort out a car. So, until then, I'm stuck with the limitations of public transport. Taxis are easier but more pricey.

Frankly I might be better taking up cycling, I'd get places faster than some of these bus routes. A lot of the time somewhere is close but there's no direct route there, so it means having to change services a bunch of times for a journey that should be simple.

Then there's the phone service. My days. I get very little signal here. Absolute nightmare when someone tries to spring a telephone interview on me. Please no. We can barely hear each other. I'm in the middle of nowhere. Please just organise a video call or face to face interview, I don't want to search for signal desperately as you ask me time sensitive questions.

I do hate that on nights out with my friends, I have to abruptly leave fairly early if I don't want to get stuck there. I'm a bit jealous of my friends who live in cities.

There's also the whole, well, lack of dating life thing. I don't really see myself having a dating life here. The last date I went on I told my family I was meeting up with a friend. Turned out to be true since there wasn't a connection there and we decided to just be friends, so, ha. Consider me an accidental Oracle.

David1346
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2024, 10:08 pm

I've read about the shortage of affordable housing in the UK. We have similar problems in parts of the United States.

Have you thought about the possibility of sharing a lease with a friend?

You could also look for a job as a house sitter. If you google, "How to find a housesitting job in the UK," several sites will pop up.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2024, 8:01 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Yes, that's what I mean.

I know it's relatively common for people my age to still live with their parents. Most of my friends have moved out to live on their own, but that does tend to mean living from pay cheque to pay cheque. There's a bit of judgement from others. Not from my family but from my peers.

Really it's difficult since it can be tricky to find work where I am. Nowhere is close. A lot of businesses go under prematurely. Travel is limited since they keep cancelling services. I don't have a lot of options. Even when I eventually pass my driver's test, it will be a while until I can sort out a car. So, until then, I'm stuck with the limitations of public transport. Taxis are easier but more pricey.

Frankly I might be better taking up cycling, I'd get places faster than some of these bus routes. A lot of the time somewhere is close but there's no direct route there, so it means having to change services a bunch of times for a journey that should be simple.

Then there's the phone service. My days. I get very little signal here. Absolute nightmare when someone tries to spring a telephone interview on me. Please no. We can barely hear each other. I'm in the middle of nowhere. Please just organise a video call or face to face interview, I don't want to search for signal desperately as you ask me time sensitive questions.

I do hate that on nights out with my friends, I have to abruptly leave fairly early if I don't want to get stuck there. I'm a bit jealous of my friends who live in cities.

There's also the whole, well, lack of dating life thing. I don't really see myself having a dating life here. The last date I went on I told my family I was meeting up with a friend. Turned out to be true since there wasn't a connection there and we decided to just be friends, so, ha. Consider me an accidental Oracle.

Have you considered a house share in a city to reduce rental costs?

You could always just stay at home and reap the financial benefits of doing so. I suppose it depends on how social you want to be.

I know there is judgment from various people for living with one's parents. I have experienced this also.

Dating is probably the biggest reason to move out of one's parents. There is nothing like not having one's own space to ruin various opportunities in that regard.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 1:47 am

Sweet Pea hugs

David1346
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2024, 5:14 am

If you have access to the internet, have you considered working at a remote online job? There are lots of these jobs here in the States. If you go to YouTube and search for remote jobs in the UK, you'll see all sorts of possibilities.

In terms of phone service, has your family considered getting a land line as opposed to relying on cell phones?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 6:45 pm

Oh we have a land-line already. It's slightly better but not by much. The sound doesn't carry very well. I purposefully raise the volume of my voice so the other side can hear me whenever I use that phone.

That's not the problem though. Rather, I'm not always at home. Sometimes I'm out and about for various reasons. Unfortunately, some companies like to play a game of 'surprise phonecall time!' the rules of that game is not telling me in advance that they're going to call me, then they attempt to interview me on the spot. I hate that. Can't stand it. Especially if I'm somewhere with very limited signal. Which is most places.

Also, if I need to phone the land-line from my phone for whatever reason, then that can be tricky but I know the best places to do so. Unfortunately it's a situation I often find myself in. There's the occasional payphone that just about works but they are timed and I'd rather not waste my money. So I stick to my phone.

I wouldn't want to give the land-line to companies. The house would be spammed all the time. Wouldn't be fair to my parents. They're retired. Shouldn't have to deal with my nonsense. That's my problem. Sadly applications require I put a number. I'd much rather be emailed though but it is what it is.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 4:29 am

I've decided that I'll want to work somewhere that's commutable in the short term, just in case I fail the probation period.

I've been looking into renting options and making a list. I don't expect my first place to be nice, but thinking about having a place of my own makes me feel less directionless.

Admittedly, I've been having stress dreams about finding a job in general. The whole job search is weighing on me and I really hope I find employment soon.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 9:36 am

Where would you like to live?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 2:10 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Where would you like to live?

I want to live in the city. Whilst the countryside is nice, there's not a lot of employment opportunities. Not much for people my age to do or places to hang out. Most of the population is retired.

My friends live in the city. I really found a place to call home when I went to University. Life has never really felt the same after that came to an end. Of course I still visit, but it's not really the same.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 2:37 pm

Living in a city can be expensive. It depends on which city you live in, I guess.