South Africa files genocide case against Israel at Internati

Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 7:20 am

‘Israel’s supporters have been put on notice’, say experts on ICJ verdict

Quote:
The interim orders issued by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to Israel amid its war on Gaza on Friday are significant, but their immediate implications are “limited” say some experts.

he ICJ also noted its grave concern over the fate of the Israelis taken captive by Hamas during its raid into Israel on October 7 and called for their immediate release.

While South Africa has claimed that those instructions implicitly translate as a call for an immediate ceasefire, Israel has pointed to the absence of that specific wording and has confirmed that it will continue its three-month-long campaign against Gaza.

“Really, the only body that can stop Israel’s bombardment of Gaza is Israel,” said Gerry Simpson, professor of law at the London School of Economics. “However, this does make it even more difficult for [Israeli Prime Minister] Benjamin Netanyahu to confidently claim to be defending the West and the rules-based order.”

Pressure mounting on Israel’s allies
While a final ruling may still take years, the court has found that South Africa’s charges of genocide contain merit, and cannot, therefore, be dismissed as baseless by Israel and its international backers.

Critically, the ruling raises the possibility that Tel Aviv’s allies in Washington, London and the European Union could even face the prospect of being implicated in having aided and abetted genocide at some future date.

Friday’s judgement will also likely carry implications beyond those specified in court, Simpson said. “This also speaks to how the public sees the war. No matter where you get your information, there’s always the suspicion of bias in the reporting. This preliminary judgement offers something different. This is a judicial verdict based on a good faith reading of the facts.”

Interpretations of the court’s findings are already polarising much of the political community. While South African Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor hailed it as little short of a triumph, others appeared less delighted.

A case for genocide is ‘plausible’
While Israel’s emphasis that no specific mention was made of a ceasefire was predictable, other items were less likely to feature in Tel Israel’s public account of the judgement.

“The way that South Africa and others will interpret the order is also that Israel’s supporters have basically been put on notice,” Antonios Tzanakopoulos, professor of public international law at Oxford University, said.

“The ICJ has found that the case of genocide is at least plausible. Therefore, if third-party states continue to provide Israel with money and weapons, they now do so knowing they may be aiding and abetting genocide, which all signatories of the convention are prevented from doing,” he said.

Though it stopped short of accusing Israel of committing genocide, Italy halted all shipments of weapons to Israel after the October 7 Hamas attacks, Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani announced a week ago.

“This is what we mean by enforcement,” Tzanakopoulos said. “States aren’t physical things. You can’t send them to prison. But the kind of pressure that judgements like this bring, and the actions of states like Italy, make it more difficult to cooperate with Israel,” he said.

Under the terms of the 1948 Genocide Convention, all states have a binding obligation not only to refrain from complicity in genocide but also to prevent it, Katherine Iliopoulos, legal adviser for the MENA programme at the International Commission of Jurists, said.

Iliopoulos pointed to the actions of legal groups already under way, such as those in Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States, to prevent the export of weapons from their countries to Israel on the basis that they might be used to commit international crimes in Gaza. “Today’s ruling will add to such pressure on these and other countries to immediately stop arms exports to Israel,” she said.

Compliance remains an issue
A definitive ruling in South Africa’s case of genocide against Israel may take years. Moreover, as past preliminary judgements have shown, compliance remains an issue.

The 2022 ruling against Myanmar over its persecution of the Rohingya minority achieved only a partial change in tack, the United Nations noted in August. Moreover, the same year, the ICJ’s judgement against Russia following its invasion of Ukraine was simply shrugged off.

However, this is the first case against a state so closely tied to Western powers, one whose existence to a large part relies upon their provision of arms and diplomatic cover.

To what degree those states may now risk legal hazard could help determine the shape and duration of the war.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 12:56 pm

Good. I hope a whole lot of heads roll over this one, they deserve it. They probably won't, but.... fingers crossed.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2024, 1:01 pm

Jono wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
Yesterday the lawyers representing South Africa focused mainly on the facts. Today Israel's representatives focus a lot on rhetorics. The general public is often very susceptible to that kind of tricks - blowing smoke, whataboutism and reframing the context, but I doubt it works on these highly qualified judges. If you cut to the core of the matter I don't think Israel's lawyers put up much of a defence.

Israel's lawyers also provided it's own facts and I'm not sure which incidences of whataboutism that you're talking about. They claimed that they are trying to facilitate aid into Gaza, though I don't think that it's enough as the humanitarian aid organisations say that there's still a looming famine. I hope that the court will take that into account and still ask for provisional measures though.

This is an interesting interaction: each representing their own facts.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 6:24 pm

Barchan wrote:
Good. I hope a whole lot of heads roll over this one, they deserve it. They probably won't, but.... fingers crossed.

Nailed it - they won't. But it's nice to see Italy take the lead in stopping supplying weapons to Israel. It puts pressure on everyone else to follow suit or risk being labelled as aiding and abetting genocide.

Even better would be if Italy, or any other country, took some sort of action to Prevent genocide - as according to the article all signatory countries are obligated to do. So far no one has done s**t, Canada included.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 9:37 pm

Jono wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
Yesterday the lawyers representing South Africa focused mainly on the facts. Today Israel's representatives focus a lot on rhetorics. The general public is often very susceptible to that kind of tricks - blowing smoke, whataboutism and reframing the context, but I doubt it works on these highly qualified judges. If you cut to the core of the matter I don't think Israel's lawyers put up much of a defence.

Israel's lawyers also provided it's own facts and I'm not sure which incidences of whataboutism that you're talking about. They claimed that they are trying to facilitate aid into Gaza, though I don't think that it's enough as the humanitarian aid organisations say that there's still a looming famine. I hope that the court will take that into account and still ask for provisional measures though.

It's own facts aka alternative facts aka disinformation.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 10:05 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 1:52 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Jono wrote:
BillyTree wrote:

Is it though? To me, it looks like no different from any other court case where the two side present their own evidence in favour. The judges or jury have to decide the truth from the evidence given by both sides.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 2:33 am

Jono wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Is it though? To me, it looks like no different from any other court case where the two side present their own evidence in favour. The judges or jury have to decide the truth from the evidence given by both sides.

Yes, it will be disinformation, at least based on previous patterns of behaviour.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 4:40 am

funeralxempire wrote:

The caveat is like the YouTubers I am not an expert on the ICJ.

Pro-Palestinians have been celebrating the decision while Israelis have been screaming bloody murder. I did not interpret this as a clean defeat for Israel at all but at most one of those compromises that tries to satisfy both sides. I fully expected them to "order" a ceasefire and expected them to urge a full boycott of Israel. While a boycott is probably out of their purview, as mentioned in the video so is Hamas yet they urged them to release the hostages.

I understand why Palestinian supporters would try to spin this as a victory because that is how politics works but IMHO the Israelis are failing to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I don't think uncomfortable questions from reporters or a resolution that gets a few votes in Congress, or even some state and local prosecutors bringing charges is going to make Israel comply. It will be a change in Israeli or American public opinion that will do that.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 4:37 pm

Top UN court rejects South African request for urgent measures to safeguard Rafah

Quote:
The top UN court on Friday rejected a South African request to impose urgent measures to safeguard Rafah in the Gaza Strip, but also stressed that Israel must respect earlier measures imposed late last month at a preliminary stage in a landmark genocide case.

The International Court of Justice said in a statement that the “perilous situation” in Rafah “demands immediate and effective implementation of the provisional measures" that it ordered Jan. 26.

It said no new order was necessary because the existing measures “are applicable throughout the Gaza Strip, including in Rafah.”

The world court added that Israel “remains bound to fully comply with its obligations under the Genocide Convention” and the Jan. 26 ruling which ordered Israel to do all it can to prevent death, destruction and any acts of genocide in Gaza.

South Africa announced Tuesday that it had lodged an “ urgent request ” with the International Court of Justice to consider whether Israel’s military operations targeting the southern Gaza city of Rafah breach provisional orders the court handed down last month in a case alleging genocide.

South African foreign ministry spokesman Clayson Monyela said in a message on X, formerly Twitter, that the court “has affirmed our view that the perilous situation demands immediate & effective implementation of the provisional measures indicated by the Court in its Order of 26 January 2024 which are applicable throughout the #GazaStrip & has clarified that this includes #Rafah.”

The court's statement was issued on the Jewish sabbath, when government offices are closed, and there was no immediate comment from the Israeli Foreign Ministry.

On Thursday, Israel urged the world court to reject what it called South Africa’s “highly peculiar and improper” request.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 9:43 am

At World Court, Palestinians demand end to Israeli occupation

Quote:
Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki demanded an immediate end to Israel's occupation of the Palestinian territories at the start of hearings on Monday into the legal status of the occupation at the United Nations' top court.

More than 50 states will present arguments before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague until Feb. 26, following a 2022 request from the U.N. General Assembly for an advisory, or non-binding, opinion

Al-Maliki accused Israel of subjecting Palestinians to decades of discrimination and apartheid - accusations Israel has rejected - arguing that they had been left with the choice of "displacement, subjugation, or death".

"The only solution consistent with international law is for this illegal occupation to come to an immediate, unconditional and total end," he said.

The ICJ's 15-judge panel has been asked to review Israel's "occupation, settlement and annexation ... including measures aimed at altering the demographic composition, character and status of the Holy City of Jerusalem, and from its adoption of related discriminatory legislation and measures."

The judges are expected to take roughly six months to issue an opinion on the request, which also asks them to consider the legal status of the occupation and its consequences.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 10:58 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
At World Court, Palestinians demand end to Israeli occupation
Quote:
Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki demanded an immediate end to Israel's occupation of the Palestinian territories at the start of hearings on Monday into the legal status of the occupation at the United Nations' top court.

More than 50 states will present arguments before the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague until Feb. 26, following a 2022 request from the U.N. General Assembly for an advisory, or non-binding, opinion

Al-Maliki accused Israel of subjecting Palestinians to decades of discrimination and apartheid - accusations Israel has rejected - arguing that they had been left with the choice of "displacement, subjugation, or death".

"The only solution consistent with international law is for this illegal occupation to come to an immediate, unconditional and total end," he said.

The ICJ's 15-judge panel has been asked to review Israel's "occupation, settlement and annexation ... including measures aimed at altering the demographic composition, character and status of the Holy City of Jerusalem, and from its adoption of related discriminatory legislation and measures."

The judges are expected to take roughly six months to issue an opinion on the request, which also asks them to consider the legal status of the occupation and its consequences.

This has nothing to do with South Africa's case against Israel at the ICJ. It's a separate case where the UN General Assembly asked for an advisory opinion on the occupied West Bank. Unlike the contentious cases, like what South Africa brought against Israel, advisory opinions are non-binding.