Shamed for seeking diagnosis for my daughter

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 10:57 pm

The second evaluation for my daughter came back "F43.23 Adjustment Disorder, With anxiety (mild)" and not Autistic. Flashback to my journey of misdiagnosis and my mom's journey of misdiagnosis and my grandmother's journey of misdiagnosis. Now my (female) BFF is afraid to try. Crap. This clinic was recommended to me by my local ASD community, but this particular evaluator... ugh. The evaluator dismissed my testimony as inaccurate in favor of my (hyposensitive, avoidant) husband's report and my daughter's, who reported "the way I want to be" as she told me (I get it, kid, BTDT). The evaluator wrote in the report that my seeking evaluation is "damaging" my daughter's "self esteem". Doesn't this doctor know anything about Autism? More than most, we are willing (like, or have) to face the (hard) truths. Oh, well. I tried, People, but girls and women will continue to be underreported despite my family's efforts. I get exasperated when I see the 1 female : 3 male ratio (non-binary not represented) statistic. It's not inclusive.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2024, 11:37 pm

You're absolutely right if you're just seeking a diagnosis without spreading the word and thinking she's special.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 12:29 am

My daughter did get diagnosed, but her POS father shamed and tried to sue her and her doctors, for lying about it.
He claimed it wasn't true.

It takes all kinds.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 8:36 pm

belijojo wrote:
You're absolutely right if you're just seeking a diagnosis without spreading the word and thinking she's special.
I'm not sure how you mean that, but she's Unique Like Everyone Else. :wink: Having ASD myself, I definitely have a hard time giving the "correct" answers - since it's "normal" to me. My mom had a similar problem - I was just as Special (not?!) as she was.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2024, 10:30 pm

SharonB wrote:
belijojo wrote:
I'm not sure how you mean that, but she's Unique Like Everyone Else. :wink: Having ASD myself, I definitely have a hard time giving the "correct" answers - since it's "normal" to me. My mom had a similar problem - I was just as Special (not?!) as she was.
Everyone Unique :wink: