Would people still hate J.K. Rowling if she wasn't a TERF?

Page 6 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 9:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Having been a goth kid, goth kids and cool kids have virtually zero overlap when Venn diagrammed. :nerdy:

Everyone secretly thought goths were cool....like Wednesday Adams dancing

So that's why I was always getting called a fa***t and getting assaulted? Nah, I'm pretty sure it was them expressing disapproval for standing out, not jealousy that I could do my eyeliner well.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 9:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Having been a goth kid, goth kids and cool kids have virtually zero overlap when Venn diagrammed. :nerdy:

Everyone secretly thought goths were cool....like Wednesday Adams dancing

So that's why I was always getting called a fa***t and getting assaulted? Nah, I'm pretty sure it was them expressing disapproval for standing out, not jealousy that I could do my eyeliner well.

I'm sorry you went through that. Unfortunately not all crowds take kindly to goth culture.

The crowd I'm in is very big on goth culture. I used to go to underground places that were often very nerdy and Gothic.

In fact, in the UK we have annual Goth festivals in Whitby where people compete to outdress one another. That and Steampunk.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 9:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

In my school the goth kids were kind of venerated...sorry you went through that...I at least thought they were cool

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 9:28 pm

It's awesome if there are places that are welcoming, but I definitely wouldn't take that to be the norm. Anywhere that look might have 'shock value' one should assume won't be broadly welcoming even if some folks are.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 1:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
^^^
You forgot to add....mic drop....that was brilliant Barchan!!
You are the Hermione Grainger of WP

eeee thank you, I just saw this post ^-^
I'll admit I did greatly enjoy the first three HP novels as a kid, and Hermione was always my favorite character.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 3:13 pm

JK Rowling is a complicated author, and yes I enjoyed her first three books immensely and up to that point I never even contemplated reading that genre of literature.

With regard to the dilemma of whether to like the art but hating the artist, I do find myself in this situation quite often. For example as a kid I was drawn to music artists like Elton John, Bowie, Queen and Michael Jackson. All of them have brilliant fantastic music and clever catchy, memorable lyrics. But does that mean I follow their lifestyles? frankly I never cared even though I knew as a young boy I would called "gay" for liking Freddy Mercury. Their sexuality and in the case of MJ his likely predilection for kids was separate from their art. I chose not to judge. Is that right? I do not know.

I find the same with JK Rowling. I am sure there are other authors/writers whom I disagree with, Australian philosopher Peter Singer is a brilliant writer. But I find his views on the disabled and eugenics abhorrent, Rod Stewart is a great musician. But he was a mysoginist and eugenicist. A lot of entertainers have shady lives. The trick is not to get too immersed in their personal/private affairs and just enjoy their art.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 6:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
JK Rowling is a complicated author, and yes I enjoyed her first three books immensely and up to that point I never even contemplated reading that genre of literature.

With regard to the dilemma of whether to like the art but hating the artist, I do find myself in this situation quite often. For example as a kid I was drawn to music artists like Elton John, Bowie, Queen and Michael Jackson. All of them have brilliant fantastic music and clever catchy, memorable lyrics. But does that mean I follow their lifestyles? frankly I never cared even though I knew as a young boy I would called "gay" for liking Freddy Mercury. Their sexuality and in the case of MJ his likely predilection for kids was separate from their art. I chose not to judge. Is that right? I do not know.

I find the same with JK Rowling. I am sure there are other authors/writers whom I disagree with, Australian philosopher Peter Singer is a brilliant writer. But I find his views on the disabled and eugenics abhorrent, Rod Stewart is a great musician. But he was a mysoginist and eugenicist. A lot of entertainers have shady lives. The trick is not to get too immersed in their personal/private affairs and just enjoy their art.

Where are you getting the information that Rod Stewart is a eugenicist? He was known back in the day as a prolific ladies man. That is not same as being a misogynist. Like Rowling Stewart is mixed. His song “Tonight’s the Night” is about seducing a “virgin child”. His moving song “The Killing of Georgie (Parts I and II) is the true story of a hate crime killing of a friend of the band. Quite risky for 1976, nobody had done a song about that topic before.

Like you said if I boycotted every entertainer or artist whose actions or politics I disapprove of I would be boycotting 95 percent of artists out there. Everybody has their limits. There is one person that did something I found so reprehensible I still can not watch this person’s movies. My loss. This person spoke at the college I was attending. While I was pissed my student activity fees were going to this person trying to shut down this person never entered my mind. My attitude was this sucks, tough s**t, and went about my day.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 6:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I am the same as you in this regard.

I can appreciate the art of those with questionable private lives or viewpoints, as long as such people with questionable private lives or viewpoints, don't let those seep into their art too much.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2024, 6:51 pm

For me, it really depends on the artist. I can’t stand listening to Michael Jackson. His voice makes me want to vomit although I liked him when I was a kid. I’m not really missing out because my taste in music has changed. Even if I did still like it, there are many other singers I could listen to who wouldn’t make me feel queasy.

I also can’t stand R. Kelly. :eew:

I never liked Kevin Spacey or Bill Cosby, so that’s good.

Others, I don’t mind so much. With Rowling, I’d probably be more inclined to check her work out at the library than buy it if she were to write something else I’d like to read which seems unlikely at this point.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 3:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Where are you getting the information that Rod Stewart is a eugenicist? .

My brother was best friends with his wife Rachel Hunter's first cousin. Rachel was a New Zealander. Her cousin (whom she was close to and grew up with) was born with a genetic condition which made him a hunch back. Otherwise he was normal. Rod hated that Rachel invited him to their wedding. He told her he should have been terminated at birth. It was ironically one source of friction in their marriage (Rachel was an advocate for her cousins condition and invited him home whenever they were back in NZ).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 7:08 pm

Well, my wife's second cousin who worked as a kasembahay at the estate next to the Stewart estate claims that Rod Stewart is not a eugenicist.

So there!

:P

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 4:05 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
For me, it really depends on the artist. I can’t stand listening to Michael Jackson. His voice makes me want to vomit although I liked him when I was a kid. I’m not really missing out because my taste in music has changed. Even if I did still like it, there are many other singers I could listen to who wouldn’t make me feel queasy.

I also can’t stand R. Kelly. :eew:

I never liked Kevin Spacey or Bill Cosby, so that’s good.

:lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 4:05 am

Fnord wrote:
Well, my wife's second cousin who worked as a kasembahay at the estate next to the Stewart estate claims that Rod Stewart is not a eugenicist.

So there!

:P

:lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 4:10 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I can appreciate the art of those with questionable private lives or viewpoints, as long as such people with questionable private lives or viewpoints, don't let those seep into their art too much.

In all seriousness, the millionaires who purchased Jackson Pollock's art (which I classify as dubious to be called art) probably couldn't give a hoot about Pollock. They bought the name. Michael jackson bought the rights to the beatles music I think, but I am not sure if the was a fan (maybe he was?)

A lot of the stuff I watch on TV or cinema could be art, but I am hardly likely to grab a wine glass with a drop of red, monacle and wear a beret and sit pontificating over the finer points of what one screen writer was thinking at the time, For the most part, unless you are an uber fan its not somethign that crosses one's mind. I love star wars and Harry potter, but I am not that invested in the lives of George Lucas or JK Rowling

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 4:14 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Others, I don’t mind so much. With Rowling, I’d probably be more inclined to check her work out at the library than buy it if she were to write something else I’d like to read which seems unlikely at this point.

I started reading "Cursed child" (my wife's copy) and couldn't read it. I also found Tolkien and George RR Martin's books on LOTR and Game of Thrones to be an awful read. But don't mind the TV series and movies. What somebody considers high art is left to the eye of the beholder.

But always ready to debate Harry Potter and Star wars with anyone.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2024, 7:07 am

I doubt very many people consider Harry Potter as “high art.” Lord of the Rings is part of the literary canon, so the books are widely regarded as works of art. That doesn’t mean that everyone will like them though.