You're not really British, Cockney

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 9:02 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I go to a clubhouse for people who have mental health issues. I go there because I have Depression, Anxiety and Psychosis.

Back in the September of 2012, the staff and members from my clubhouse were invited to a nice barbeque that was hosted by a couple who was a regular sponsor of the clubhouse. I was having fun, talking about The Kinks and how I wanted to go to London. As I sat down in my spot in the van, I told Dean and Barb how proud I was to be British. An older member who was in his 60s at the time said to me, "You're not really British, Cockney."

How in the HE-double toothpicks did he pick up on that in 2012, 4 years before I've decided to stop hiding behind the Union Jack in the January of 2016, start being true to myself and start being honest about myself. How did he know that, 4 years before I confessed that I prefer Germany over Britain and I made peace with the fact that I take after the Germans and Austrians in my family tree more than I take after the English, Irish and Scottish on my dad's side or the French and English on my mum's side. I dressed like a male Mod, talked about The Kinks and my dream trip to London, so how did he know?

People can guess another persons nationality or birth place from their accent, often.

A Canadian speaking in a foreign accent (a Cockney accent), might sound like a Canadian speaking in a foreign accent, to other people, rather than sounding like the real thing.

Alternatively, if you were doing a convincing Cockney accent, then the people saying you weren't really British might have found that out somehow, perhaps by piecing together bits of information from various people in your mutual contacts/friends circle.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 10:54 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Greater awareness and acceptance surrounding gender identity is improving the living standards and quality of life for a lot of people right now.

It's improving my life as I type this. I'm going to get started on Testosterone very soon.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 10:56 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I go to a clubhouse for people who have mental health issues. I go there because I have Depression, Anxiety and Psychosis.

Back in the September of 2012, the staff and members from my clubhouse were invited to a nice barbeque that was hosted by a couple who was a regular sponsor of the clubhouse. I was having fun, talking about The Kinks and how I wanted to go to London. As I sat down in my spot in the van, I told Dean and Barb how proud I was to be British. An older member who was in his 60s at the time said to me, "You're not really British, Cockney."

How in the HE-double toothpicks did he pick up on that in 2012, 4 years before I've decided to stop hiding behind the Union Jack in the January of 2016, start being true to myself and start being honest about myself. How did he know that, 4 years before I confessed that I prefer Germany over Britain and I made peace with the fact that I take after the Germans and Austrians in my family tree more than I take after the English, Irish and Scottish on my dad's side or the French and English on my mum's side. I dressed like a male Mod, talked about The Kinks and my dream trip to London, so how did he know?

People can guess another persons nationality or birth place from their accent, often.

A Canadian speaking in a foreign accent (a Cockney accent), might sound like a Canadian speaking in a foreign accent, to other people, rather than sounding like the real thing.

Alternatively, if you were doing a convincing Cockney accent, then the people saying you weren't really British might have found that out somehow, perhaps by piecing together bits of information from various people in your mutual contacts/friends circle.

That makes very good sense. I've never thought of it that way.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 10:58 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Greater awareness and acceptance surrounding gender identity is improving the living standards and quality of life for a lot of people right now.

It's improving my life as I type this. I'm going to get started on Testosterone very soon.

That's fantastic!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2024, 11:00 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Kind of like Dick Van Dyke in the movie, Mary Poppins.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 7:20 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Kind of like Dick Van Dyke in the movie, Mary Poppins.

Yes.The way to NOT learn Cockney is to study Dick Van Dyke in "Marry Poppins". The worst Cockney dialect every.

OTH if you watch footage of Michael Caine being himself on talk shows...thats what real Cockney sounds like.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 7:23 am

But the fact is that you are NOT British, nor are you German.

You might be of either British, German, or both, ancestry.

Folks in North America often identify with their Old World ancestry. And take an interest in the country of thier ancestry.

But few try to plam themselves off as being from that country.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 1:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

You might be of either British, German, or both, ancestry.

Folks in North America often identify with their Old World ancestry. And take an interest in the country of thier ancestry.

But few try to plam themselves off as being from that country.

Like the Plastic Paddies, folks who claim to be Irish despite being many generations removed from Ireland.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 1:42 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Perhaps people should say that they’re from Africa since that’s where homo sapiens evolved. In all seriousness, it does feel kind of strange to say one is American (or whatever) when they don’t particularly identify with the culture and don’t have a tribe of their own. Maybe that’s just me.

I identify as an Earthling, most of the time. :alien: