Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 10:59 am

Hi:
I want to give everyone's feedback about a situation that happened years ago.

Back when I was 13, my childhood friend invited me to her birthday camping trip. That being said, my family and I lived on the opposite side of my city from them which was 30 minutes each way. This one particular time, my mom didn't feel like taking me there herself and then driving all the way back. So she called my friend's mom and asked her to pick me up in which her mother agreed that she would get me at a set time. However, she ended up standing us up at the said time.

When I called to confirm that she had left, she gave my mom and I the run around by telling us each both a different story

- She told me that she had a medical condition where she could only drive a short distance due to getting tired at the wheel easily.
-When I put her on with my mom, she told my mom that she was coming later as she was waiting for her son to get off the bus from pre school. She also told her that she would call me when she was coming to get me

When later came, my friend told me that her mom too tired to get me and asked if one of my parents would take me there. When I asked them, they refused because they felt her mom broke her promise by lying.

So I ended up not going

Any thoughts?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 6:59 pm

Yes.

1. This happened thirty years ago. Just put it behind you.

2. Your mom didn’t feel like driving you the hour round trip so you could go on the birthday trip you were invited to attend, so your mom asked her mom if she would drive the one hour round trip to pick you up before she then drove to the campground. What’s wrong with this picture?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 9:12 am

Hi Rse,

My long term memory takes a long time to process information. However, I was mad at my friend’s mom for a long time.

The main reason is because I was mad at her mom for lying to my mom and then standing us up with more lies.

However, I now see why she didn’t want to. For one thing, that’s a lot to ask someone and especially if they already have a lot of driving to do. However, she really could have been up front.

David1346
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2024, 11:51 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
For one thing, that’s a lot to ask someone and especially if they already have a lot of driving to do.

This would have been a really short notice for your mother.

Given how you said that your friend had invited you to go on a birthday camping trip, how did your friend go on this trip? Did the other parent drive?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 1:01 pm

Well, now that you put it that way, I think my mom gave her mom a short notice because they have spoken earlier that day. However, we planned a sleep over later that summer but this time planned to meet half way a few weeks in advance. Yet, her mom still bailed on us by having my friend tell me that she had a bad headache and wanted my mom to drive me. So my mom refused to take me that way.

Anyway, in terms of my friend going on the camping trip, her mom drove her and a friend of her friends as their parents all dropped them off.