I have a question about virtual autism groups

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2024, 11:33 pm

Is it weird that in a virtual aspie group I'm often the last one to speak yet in real life/in person I'm often quite loud? I feel in the virtual group I have barley anything to say, yet in real life I have too much to say.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 11:45 pm

Might it just be comfort level? Are you maybe more shy in the group than in person?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 11:58 pm

I find that trying to talk on Zoom (if that's what this group is) is very awkward for me. In-person interactions feel a bit more natural and it's easier to tell when to speak and it feels more spontaneous to respond to something that someone said. I'm actually pretty bad at both, unless it's one on one. But with Zoom it feels more like a series of speeches than it does like a conversation.

Also, maybe you could suggest a system in which people raise their hand when they want to talk and a facilitator calls on them in turn?

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2024, 12:24 am

It's hard to know what to say.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 3:32 am

I understand how that feels. Perhaps you don't have to say anything if you don't have anything that you want to say. You can just listen.

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2024, 8:16 am

catpiecakebutter wrote:
Is it weird that in a virtual aspie group I'm often the last one to speak yet in real life/in person I'm often quite loud? I feel in the virtual group I have barley anything to say, yet in real life I have too much to say.

I do not think so. I am the exact same way. It is difficult to write out what I want but I talk the hell out a topic given the chance. I also find it takes me time to process what I have read (same with speech) before I can type an answer unless it is very mundane. And I reword it many times in my head before it ends up in text. Sooo...I very rarely reply because the moment has passed. I thought it was just me really. Thank you for posting.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 9:41 am

I find it easier to talk to people in person than I do on Zoom. I don't have to repeat myself as much and as a result, I feel more comfortable.