Made it somewhere just on time last night 8)

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 5:52 pm

I'm chronically late for life, even if just by a few minutes. But, I had a goal of finishing a certain stage demolition on my bathroom at home, showering up, having dinner, grabbing a few snacks and drinks on my way out the door and making it to Gastown in time to pick up The Artist and take him over to The Chandelier before it's final 9pm spin for the day.

He has a working phone for the moment and I was able to call him en route, made it there, his gf was outside, chatted with her, they both came with me. We arrived 2 minutes before 9pm and the lights were already on.. then it began to spin faster and faster and spun for about 5 minutes before slowing and stopping. None of us had ever seen that view before and his gf had never even seen it at all. There were 5 or so other people on street corners beneath the bridge having a look and taking pics/vids. The weather was cool but quite nice for it, too.

Was pretty cool and def a unique thing as I'm almost certain there isn't another $4.8M chandelier hanging beneath the end of a bridge that lights up and spins at Noon, 4pm, and 9pm daily. Ha! The artist wants to come back with some laser pointers and see if they "disco ball," off of the crystals. (are they crystal? glass? acrylic? dunno - they're huge.) Was perfect timing to arrive juuuuust before it started up - a kinda neat synchronicity of people, places, and events so The Artist could get a real world feel for the sight as one of the paintings he's doing or me is of the chandelier, just because it's so unique to Vancouver and hella controversial to have a $4.8M work of public art approved and installed by a property developer while we have a housing crisis of epic proportions. Art must go on, I suppose.

Got a few neat pics of it as well as some including the lamp post/street & stop sign below, which he may include in the painting. Not sure if he's going to keep it artistic Or make a bit of a statement about its expense by painting a tent encampment below it -> which would also be a cool painting. He's got other things to work on the next few days for an art show and I'll go see him next week when he's Also going to paint another commissioned gift for me in an all nighter session on a huge 4'x5' canvas. (so that it's on time for a February 4th 40th birthday gift)

Well, that's one on time in a row.. maybe I'll be able to keep up this streak and double it and then keep it going. MAYBE. But I'm not gonna hold my breath because I've gotten to know me pretty good. :p